Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maxine958

Adult Onset Acne On Chin

Hi all, new user to this website. Looking for some advice on what to try next!! I never ever had acne as a teenager and then at age of 26 I suddenly developed blister like spots on either side of my mouth on my chin. Was initially diagnosed as a herpes infection but did not respond to aciclovir. Eventually diagnosed as acne and prescribed lymecycline. This controlled my symptoms for about 4 years and then suddenly stopped working. Over the last year and a half I have been prescribed minocycline, courses of erythromycin and topical retinol. Nothing has worked. The spots come up very quickly and are in clusters of small blisters to larger lumps under the skin on either side of my mouth. I am currently on dianette but this isn't working either. Spots are sore and often swell and I can sometimes find it difficult to open my mouth. Spots are really shiny and raw making them difficult to cover up with make up....affects my personal and work life.

Does anyone have any advice?

Maxine

I also had a sudden onset of chin acne. I'm 29, female. Word on the street is that chin acne is often hormonal/stress related for females - but my hormone levels were fine. I came across a post on this site by a woman who had chin acne that looked just like mine. Her acne was a reaction to fluoride so she switched to a fluoride free toothpaste and wala - the acne went away. I also switched to a fluoride free toothpaste (amongst many other changes, including using DIfferin and Aczone) - and 5 weeks later - I'm clear except for scarring. I'm not saying being fluoride free cleared my acne - but it didn't hurt anything. Maybe you could give it a try.

I think more people have perioral acne than is properly diagnosed. Can't believe derms miss this one! I totally agree with the above post --- avoid all flouride and sodium laurel sulfate toothpastes (SLS). While you're doing this you may also want to avoid all minty toothpastes. The mint flavoring used now in toothpastes is 100% stronger than it used to be and very irritating. SLS is a known irritant and can cause acne. You can get non-flouride, non-SLS, and non-minty toothpastes at the health food store. Walleda makes a good one. The issue is these ingredients are so strong they linger in the mouth and then at night when sleeping they seep out and onto the skin and pillow. People have gotten perioral acne on their nose and cheeks because of this transfer of irritants onto their pillow. You'll know within a week or so if this is the issue. I wish I had known this and tried it years ago because it has made a huge difference in the quality of my skin by avoiding these toothpastes, mouthwashes, etc. If you get acne on your forehead and side of your face, you may also want to get a non-SLS shampoo.