Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In the past I have used St Ives apricot scrub. I was hoping someone here could recommend something better. I have sensitive skin and I'm afraid the grittiness will tear me up right now. Anyone have a great suggestion?

Honestly, I'd (personally) recommend against exfoliating when you have acne (unless you only have very mild, closed comedonal acne). For me at least, it just makes your acne worse rather than better... or if you have to exfoliate, just use a very gentle toothbrush with water - at most baking soda, since it has a very gentle texture as compared to the grittiness of most scrubs.

...I say this as somebody who just exfoliated (the first time I've done so with acne) and now seriously regrets it because my face is super-inflamed. I acknowledge that I was a dumbass though, because I ignored all the advice that told me not to exfoliate if I was on Accutane (for some reason, I assumed that my skin would be the "exception" because I have a pretty unique type of acne, and also because I really want to get rid of my closed comedones). I exfoliated very lightly in a hot shower but the result right now is pretty ugly - my acne is swollen.

Maybe try a cleanser with salicylic acid rather then something that has beads to help exfoliate your skin. Also try a lotion with either salicylic acid or even glycolic acid to use at night.

I'm so sorry you hurt yourself and I hope you heal up quickly. I appreciate your advice very much. Right now I'm almost healed from my recent adventure with a makeup induced breakout. I'd call it moderate if I had to pick a word. It's about 10 smaller zits around my mouth and one medium sized cyst on my temple. Since the breakout, I have only been using soap and water and a moisturizer so I wouldn't anger the acne. The way it's going I'm going to be clear again in the next couple of days so I wanted to go ahead and buy my exfoliating goodies while I'm out today. I promise I'll head your warning though. And I only plan on using it on my lower face until the cyst ceases and desists. Thanks.

Maybe try a cleanser with salicylic acid rather then something that has beads to help exfoliate your skin. Also try a lotion with either salicylic acid or even glycolic acid to use at night.

I use a gylcolic acid cream every other night and have seen fantastic results. I worked my way up from a 5% to a 10 %. It does not dry out my skin at all. I use a salicylic acid based cleanser every 5-7 days. My daily cleanser though is a bp based one by neutrogena.

i used to use st ives apricot scrub. i thought it was the best thing in the world until i found out scrubs are the worst things for acne

i use AHA+ smile.png

just gonna say dont EVER use physical exfoliants and BP. i used a peeling gel and then put BP and it gave my skin like a chemical burn. it was horrible i had a dark scaly/flakey spot for a week, and its still dark and stained after a month. just dont.

edit: idk how it is with other treatments like salicylic acid though, i just know raw skin+BP=death

Edited by Ilovemesomevanity

I get that. It's a salt in the wound deal. But now I have to remind you that I'm a total newb and I have no idea what AHA+ is, haha. It's been awhile since I had skin problems and back then all I did was, cleanse, tone, moisture,done. Never even looked at an ingredient list...ah the good ol' days.

alpha hydroxy acid, a chemical exfoliant (hehe i did my research)

its AWESOME. except it burns sometimes. but its still awesome. its fading my red marks and getting rid of flakey skin and helping to prevent acne along with BP (benzoyl peroxide)

i use the stuff from this website (both AHA and BP, along with moisturizer) and im 99% clear now :)

AHA does a good job of chemical exfoliation, but you have to be careful about sun exposure because it does make you more sensitive to it. Manual exfoliation isn't so terrible, a lot of people use a baby's hair brush to exfoliate with a soap-free cleanser because chemicals are too much for their skin. As long as you're gentle, it's alright; just know your skin, it's different for everybody, and if something doesn't work for you then don't do it anymore. The St. Ives stuff isn't great because the shell grits can leave micro-tears in your skin which obviously aren't a fantastic thing.

CONGRATULATIONS!! I love a good success story. :) Think I might try me some of that if the stuff I'm using now doesn't do the trick.

alpha hydroxy acid, a chemical exfoliant (hehe i did my research)

its AWESOME. except it burns sometimes. but its still awesome. its fading my red marks and getting rid of flakey skin and helping to prevent acne along with BP (benzoyl peroxide)

i use the stuff from this website (both AHA and BP, along with moisturizer) and im 99% clear now smile.png