Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know you're probably tired of these kinds of threads, but I'm about to change my skincare routine, and I thought I'd run some of these products by you to get your opinions. I have mild/moderate acne, but have been quite unkind to (that is, neglectful of) my skin for the past few years, so I don't know if it's sensitive – but it does get oily, so I don't want anything that will exacerbate that. Here's the list I've come to after a lot of review-reading:

Cleanser: Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash

Exfoliant: The Body Shop Tea Tree Exfoliating Wash

Antiseptic: The Body Shop Tea Tree Toner (or maybe just diluted tea tree oil)

Moisturizer: Dove Face Care Sensitive Essentials Fragrance Free Day Lotion (with a few drops of jojoba oil added)

Sunblock: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 15 or 30

Are any of these products likely to irritate skin, in a general sense? Are there any products that are more effective than these?

Also, do you think this regimen consists of too many stages and products? I don't want to be silly and attack/smother my face with stuff it doesn't need. I suppose I could merge the cleanser with the exfoliant, but I've read a lot of reviews for combined moisturizers and sunblocks, and most of them seem to be inadequate.

Anyway, some advice on these products would be greatly appreciated. I know you can't say how my skin will react to things, but I don't even know that myself, yet. I'm probably best sticking to super-sensitive products, though, just to be safe. Thanks!

Antiseptics always irritate skin unless EXTREMELY diluted. Even then they really aren't great for the face (skin is more sensitive there).

Physical exfoliating (like The Body Shop Tea Tree Exfoliating Wash) also tend to aggravate, since it involves rubbing to slough skin off. Chemical exfoliants tend to do better because they do all the work for you. AHA is great for this, even when it's inside a moisturizing product that is very good.

As for the rest, everyone's skin is different so I can't really help you there.. I can't use zinc based sunscreen because I get a rash but other people swear by it, and yet I'm not the least bit sensitive skinned - I'm just acne prone.

Also even if a product says it's for sensitive skin it isn't always true, or it's not always better for you.. Big companies are weird like that..

I'm kind of in the same boat. (neglecting the skin for too long, browsing products to try) In truth I wasn't really neglecting, just purging all the chemicals and whatnot and starting fresh. So back to the point, the only product there that I've used is the neutrogena and I do like it. Not greasy or heavy and does the job for me. Please update after you try the dove moisturizer, I love dove but have yet to try the lotion/shampoo line. And I was thinking of switching moisturizers. Good luck!