Notifications
Clear all

Persistent Acne For Years After Haircut

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 10/25/2011 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm getting desperate and have been struggling with acne for years. It eats my self esteem and has affected me emotionally and socially and it's getting worse. I have no self esteem because of it, and no doctors can help. They treat me like just another person with "acne" and get me out of the office as soon as possible.

I'm a 23 year old female and have had acne since I was 18. I get it persistently on my forehead, in between my eyebrows, my temples, the sides of my face (in front of my ears), down the sides and back of my neck, on my shoulders, and on my upper back. My chin, cheeks, and nose are always clear. I started to break out in September 2007 after I got my haircut and got bangs. Within a day, I started breaking out all of my forehead. I couldn't even wear my bangs down. I kept them pinned up, but my forehead still kept exploding with acne. As I grew out my bangs, the acne traveled down my face. I really think my hair has something to do with my acne, though every dermatologist I've been to says it's a coincidence. None of them have examined my face. They're always across the room from me as they say it's hormonal, give me Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide, or Differin, along with doxycycline or birth control and that's that. When that doesn't work within weeks, they want to put me on Accutane, which I will not do. I've been up and down this path too many times. I'm currently on doxycycline and topical Retin-A (two weeks in). It's not doing anything, just like in the past. Just giving me yeast infections. The dermatologist says to keep up with it, even though I've done this twice before. I've been to a holistic doctor/nutritionist as well. She gave me herbs that didn't help. I've been working with her for about a year and a half now and am going to give it up. The only thing I lost was my money. I've done so much research on how acne in certain areas of your face symbolizes an internal health problem. I thought I had digestive issues, went for three sessions of colon hydrotherapy. Didn't do a thing for my acne. I really think it has something to do with my hair. As of right now, I've been putting vodka and apple cider vinegar on my face, and am switching between Nizoral and Head & Shoulders shampoo. I've been doing this for about three weeks. No changes. I'm getting so depressed. I don't go out because of my acne. I have no confidence because of my acne. I'm interested in a guy but I won't go near him because of my acne. And when I am around him, I can't even make eye contact with him and don't even want him to see my face and probably just look awkward as hell. Please, somebody help me. This has been going on way too long and I'm sick of being so embarrassed by my appearance every single day.

Any suggestions?

post-160833-0-17601600-1319589198_thumb.

post-160833-0-27776100-1319589204_thumb.

post-160833-0-65203800-1319589208_thumb.

post-160833-0-51253100-1319589213_thumb.

post-160833-0-17601600-1319589198_thumb.

post-160833-0-27776100-1319589204_thumb.

post-160833-0-65203800-1319589208_thumb.

post-160833-0-51253100-1319589213_thumb.

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 10/26/2011 8:43 am

Hi!

The location and appearance of your acne could point to pityrosporum folliculitis. It's caused by the same yeast that causes dandruff. It usually spreads from the hairline or eyebrows, causing acne-like lesions. Try applying the nizoral directly to your face, in the areas that break out. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes then rinse, washing the rest of your face with your regular cleanser. Do this twice a day, and if it's PF, it should start to subside after a few days. I was completely clear after a week or two. You can also use this in conjunction to other treatments like benzoyl peroxide for bigger spots. I also found exfoliation very useful for the nizoral to penetrate. I use green cream and the baby brush method.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 10/26/2011 12:53 pm

Thank you so much! I think it's some sort of folliculitis as well. I've been using Nizoral for a little while now, but only every other day. I do put it on my skin as well. The first few days I used it, I used it every day for about a week. It cleared up a bit, but now the Nizoral doesn't seem to be helping. I'll keep at it though.

MemberMember
(@ameriwife)

Posted : 10/26/2011 2:41 pm

Hey just want to say that you may want to look into your shampoo and soap. I had always had moderate to severe acne on my back and chest for YEARS, constant light acne on my scalp, then this last year my face started to get really really really bad when I switched shampoos and after I got bangs. Bad like I had never seen. I learned from this site about the different chemicals to avoid, so I started eliminating them and my skin cleared up drastically.

Basically, I dont use shampoo that has sodium laurel sulfate. I even used an organic shampoo for a while, which drastically reduced the acne on my jawline, neck, and forehead, but I was still breaking out on my scalp. I started going to a new hair stylist and she recommended Aveda shampoo/products. Within two weeks of using it, my scalp was completely pimple free, and I stopped breaking out completely along my hair line. The shampoo is expensive (about 40 bucks) but I've had it since June (about 4 months) and have 1/3 left. I completely cut out sodium lauryl sulfate, even in toothpaste and soap. Best of luck don't give up. I don't think the doxy is what you need though...

MemberMember
(@notanoutsider)

Posted : 10/26/2011 4:35 pm

Hey just want to say that you may want to look into your shampoo and soap. I had always had moderate to severe acne on my back and chest for YEARS, constant light acne on my scalp, then this last year my face started to get really really really bad when I switched shampoos and after I got bangs. Bad like I had never seen. I learned from this site about the different chemicals to avoid, so I started eliminating them and my skin cleared up drastically.

Basically, I dont use shampoo that has sodium laurel sulfate. I even used an organic shampoo for a while, which drastically reduced the acne on my jawline, neck, and forehead, but I was still breaking out on my scalp. I started going to a new hair stylist and she recommended Aveda shampoo/products. Within two weeks of using it, my scalp was completely pimple free, and I stopped breaking out completely along my hair line. The shampoo is expensive (about 40 bucks) but I've had it since June (about 4 months) and have 1/3 left. I completely cut out sodium lauryl sulfate, even in toothpaste and soap. Best of luck don't give up. I don't think the doxy is what you need though...

I just checked my shampoo bottle and is has that ingredient listed as the second one neutral.gif

I've noticed that anytime I change my shampoo or washing cream (the one that comes after shampoo, I don't know the name), I get new pimples, even though I'm on Accutane. I've always known there's a strong link between my acne and my hair... every time I get a haircut, I get oilier and then I get new pimples. Sh*it.

I'll definitely look for some shampoo that doesn't have that ingredient listed next time I go to the supermarket. Can you recommend a brand that could be sold worldwide? I'm under age (no credit card) and I'm from South America.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 10/26/2011 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone for responding. You're all very helpful. I too believe that I don't need to be on doxy. I already know it's not going to help (been on it before), but I've been losing hope. The more research I do, the more and more I see a link between hair and the kind of acne I have. I will look into the Aveda products. I agree that we should avoid sodium lauryl sulfate. I've tried numerous natural shampoos and I did notice my skin always cleared up a bit.

MemberMember
(@ameriwife)

Posted : 10/28/2011 12:28 am

@Notanoutsider: Yes, it is very likely you breakout because of the soap/shampoo. I never understood the acne on my body and scalp until this year! I'm honestly not sure what shampoo to recommend to you, because of where you live. Just be careful even if something says "organic" it still may cause breakouts. I would probably just read the ingredients? Aveda still has a lot of stuff in it (I think dimethicone), but so far my skin is less irritated and I have had almost NO pimples on my scalp, neck, hairline which is amazing. My scalp is pain free and I don't have to be embarrassed when I get a haircut. I try to wash my hair in a way that the soap doesn't run down my back, but it's still hard haha.

I'm willing to help you find a shampoo, I'm just not sure what is available where you live. I pretty much have to buy Aveda at an actual salon, and not just any salon really. I don't know if this helps? Maybe just look online where it's sold near you. Like I said, look at the ingredients if you can't get Aveda.

MemberMember
(@jenniclear)

Posted : 10/28/2011 5:56 pm

I had the same thing happen to me and turns out it was the products I used in my hair.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 10/29/2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've seen little improvement on my shoulders and forehead after letting the Nizoral settle for a few minutes twice a day before washing off. The sides of my face are still breaking out, though not as much, and there are lots of scars. Hopefully they go away. I'm going to look into Aveda products. A family member actually mentioned Aveda to me as well. It's getting chilly here (high 30s, low 40s), and my skin is starting to dry. I think it's from the Nizoral, but my acne always gets worse in the winter.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/29/2011 7:01 pm

did you ever take antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@ameriwife)

Posted : 10/30/2011 1:18 am

thats great! Like I said, you have to try out the aveda products, since I don't think all shampoos are safe. My shampoo is "scalp benefits- balancing shampoo" and the conditioner I use a few times a week. I only used the shampoo for a few months, then my hair stylist said my hair was too dry, so i got the conditioner but I think it breaks me out on my back/shoulders- but very minor bumps. I haven't tried any other shampoo but this one works great for me! (you actually need a conditioner to detangle!)

MemberMember
(@luckycat)

Posted : 10/30/2011 1:39 am

I agree with what has already been said by previous posters. Whenever I break out around my temples/sides of my face the culprit is usually a hair product or it is seborrheic dermatitis/folliculitis. One way to sort of determine which is which is whether your neck and back is breaking out, too. If the pimples follow the pattern of the direction the water and sweat would run, it may be the product itself. If I use shampoos or conditioners that are too emollient, my neck and the center of my back will break out in addition to my face. When my SD flares, it is usually down my forehead and the sides of my face, and beneath my jaw even.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 10/30/2011 11:54 am

Thank you everyone for your responses. Each of you is a big help. I know for a fact my acne has something to do with my hair. A friend of mine had a similar issue a few years back and she was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis. She had a very helpful dermatologist who cleared her up in a short amount of time - I am now going to the same office but the woman who helped my friend is no longer there. The dermatologist I'm seeing doesn't think it's sebhorrheic dermatitis or folliculitis. I kept pushing to get some sort of testing done but he said or to try something that helps one of those conditions or both, and he said to me, "Trust me. I see acne everyday. Yours is hormonal." It's definitely not and I'm seeing little improvement with the Nizoral shampoo. It's doing something but I don't think it'll cure me. I've been using Nizoral shampoo for about a month now, but it was only a week ago that I started putting it on my face and letting it settle for a few minutes before washing it off. I also apply it to my shoulders, neck, and back, which also break out. The acne follows my hairline. I don't understand my dermatologist one bit. I may go to another one. And yes, I have been on doxycline in the past and am currently on it now. I don't believe it's doing a thing for my acne. I've also been applying coconut oil to the areas affected with acne every night for about a week now. I think it's helping. I think the coconut oil and the Nizoral are making a difference. Does anyone have any other suggestions for folliculitis or sebhorrheic dermatitis? Thank you so much! Also, is there a way to upload pictures into a response post like this one? I'd like to post my pictures after a week of the Nizoral on my face along with the coconut oil at night.

MemberMember
(@luckycat)

Posted : 10/31/2011 7:33 pm

I developed seborrheic dermatitis when I was 9 years old. It was triggered by my first day of 4th grade at a new school, so I know that there is some correlation between stress and skin problems. Whatever the doctor prescribed was useless, and as a last ditch effort my mother bought some Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner, which brought instant relief. I may just be paranoid, but I find that when I have a dermatitis attack- I like to treat my entire body with a good antifungal/antibacterial wash. Sometimes, it seems that the better my scalp does- the worse my face flares and vice versa, so I just wash everywhere with it for a week or so until it is under control. Tea Tree Oil is the only ingredient other than selenium sulfide which has worked for me. Could you demand a biopsy? I'm assuming your derm doesn't believe it is seb. derm because you lack the reddening of the skin around the eyebrows and nasolabial folds. It does look and sound more like a cosmetic irritant, but I never saw any reddening of my skin either with my dermatitis until this year, when I started to display more classic symptoms. A biopsy can at least rule out things like staph and fungus.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 11/01/2011 7:20 am

Thanks luckycat. I plan on demanding a biopsy - this is driving me crazy! I don't understand how my dermatologist could just look at me from across the room and be sure of what is causing my acne. It only makes sense to do testing.

I've used tea tree oil shampoo for about three weeks over the summer and I didn't notice a difference. Perhaps I should use it longer. I still have it. I've been using Nizoral, along with Head & Shoulders conditioner (both in my hair and on my body). I will also switch things up and use my selenium sulfide Head & Shoulders shampoo. I'm not sure whether it's that or the Nizoral that is clearing me up a bit - I think it's the Nizoral, but I'm not 100% positive. I go back to my dermatologist at the end of this month. I will definitely be updating.

MemberMember
(@luckycat)

Posted : 11/03/2011 4:58 pm

I've only had one really great doctor in all of my years of seeking treatment for skin problems and migraines, and I can honestly say that I believed he truly cared about my well being. If he didn't know something, he ordered tests or made referrals, and he actually listened to what I thought the problem could be. I was very lucky to be his patient. Most of the doctors I have seen, however, were either just arrogant and assumed they knew, or didn't know and weren't concerned. If the doctor won't perform a biopsy, I would find another doctor. It isn't an unreasonable demand, especially at this point in time.

Eh. If tea tree shampoo didn't cut it in three weeks, I would move on. I am using 100% tea tree oil and that seems to be making a big difference. My Retin-A Micro and Lightstim (red, blue, infrared bulbs) just arrived today so I want to see how my forehead responds. The Zinc H&S didn't do much for me, only the selenium sulfide, but my doctor did say that if it responds to antifungal shampoos then I should also try Nizoral.

Good luck, and yes! Please keep us updated. I would love to know what works for you. It is such a pesky problem. One day it's clear- one day it's not. Grrrr!!!

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 11/03/2011 7:42 pm

Thanks again! Good luck to you as well - I really mean it. I hope both our problems go away very, very soon. My skin has been getting worse these past few days. It just won't stop. I'm getting so frustrated. It really messes with my confidence. Once something seems to work, it's only temporary. I've seriously tried just about everything. I go to the dermatologist on the 14th (booked an earlier appointment - called up all irritated). I'll keep updating.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 11/11/2011 2:32 pm

I'm really interested in the connection between sodium laurel sulfate and acne. I don't think it's the cause of my acne, but I have been sulfate free for a few years now. I recommend the Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo. Almost all the ingredients are organic, it's SLS-free, inexpensive, it actually lathers (rare for sulfate-free shampoo), and it works really well on my sometimes oily hair. Good luck at the next appt :)

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 11/14/2011 4:20 pm

Thank you for the recommendation.

So, I just got back from my appointment with the dermatologist. It didn't go a well as I hoped. He did not do a skin biopsy or culture. He is still stuck on believing my acne is hormonal and said to keep using the Retin-A. I stopped using the doxy last week. It bothered my stomach and caused disgusting yeast infections. He gave me more Retin-A and something new, Aczone cream to apply in the morning. He did mention, after I kept arguing for it, that I could come in when I have a "big, juicy whitehead" and he can do a culture on it. So, I guess I'll have to wait for one of those to appear. He said I didn't have anything on my skin that he could culture. I've been using Head & Shoulders with selenium sulfide in it on my hair and on my face - it's made a difference. He was surprised at how much my face cleared up and I mentioned that to him, but he said he thinks it's the Retin-A and the doxy that were working. They weren't. I was a mess before the Head & Shoulders. It started clearing me up within a matter of days. Should definitely give it a try for skin problems.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 11/28/2011 12:05 pm

Hey everyone. Maybe this information will help others. My skin has been clearing up on the sides of my face. A nutritionist I was seeing for about a year (I stopped going to her not long ago because I wasn't seeing much improvement and it was getting expensive) told me I had systemic yeast overgrowth (definitely know I do!) and gave me capsules to keep candida in check - they're called Candibactin. I've taken about half the bottle and then stopped a little while ago. Well, I've been taking those again to help with my chronic yeast infections that have gotten worse during and after the doxy. Anyway, the Candibactin, along with evening primrose oil is helping the sides of my face to clear up. I believe that acne was hormonal (evening primrose oil helps with hormonal balance) and the yeast probably had something to do with those breakouts as well. The acne on my forehead is still there, though not as bad. I'm still applying the Head & Shoulders. I've had this forehead acne for four years. I have yet to find a way to completely wipe it out and keep it from returning.

I've also been applying a small amount of CeraVe lotion to my face. I've read good things about it. My face has a nice glow to it, but I haven't seen any acne improvement from it yet. It's supposed to clean the skin without damaging it. I've been using it for almost two weeks now.

I am still applying the Retin-A and the Aczone as well.

The Head and Shoulders completely cleared up the acne on my upper back and shoulders.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/04/2011 10:56 am

Applying the evening primrose oil to my face is also helping. I do it at night before bed because it makes my skin appear very oily! I am still taking the capsules by mouth, along with the Candibactin.

Another update: I have also gotten a skin culture done four days ago. I had to keep mentioning it to my dermatologist. I actually stopped in just because I was in the area to see him. He seemed surprised that I just stopped in, and he was in a very good mood and he did the culture for me. It took a few seconds. I was surprised he agreed to do it, but very grateful. He has been giving me a hard time saying that he doesn't think I need it and that the culture will most likely show p.acnes.

I should be getting my results back by the end of this week.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/05/2011 4:36 am

I don't know how well retin a works but I kind of doubt its going to show results within 2 weeks. You have to keep uing it, I'm using bp and it seems like it took forever to start working, it took around 2-3 months.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/05/2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you saw results.

I'm still sticking with the Retin-A. My dermatologist said I should be seeing results after twelve weeks. I'm almost at that point - haven't seen a huge improvement but will keep at it. I had a skin culture done - it came back normal, according to my dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/05/2011 10:43 pm

Does retin a make your skin red? is it irritating?

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/07/2011 1:00 am

Hi Pulz,

No, it does not.