Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clairebear6292

Thanksgiving Anxiety...

Just found out that we'll be going to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving. I'm almost certain my healthy (but odd to them) eating habits will be a big topic of discussion thanks to mom.Thoughts on getting through this? Also there's the case of what to actually eat and what to say when they ask about why I will decline certain foods... like the pumkin pie, ice cream etc. high g.i. foods... looks like i'll make my meal out of the turkey! Advice/support/thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Pretty nervous :)

Make a dessert/some sort of other dish that has a low gL to bring to them, explain to them what "low glycemic" means(if they don't already know), and calmly proceed to how it's a good way of taking care of yourself when the money-grubbing thieves we're supposed to consider our medical industry couldn't give a flying-

"say, auntie this succotash sure is swell."

I have an idea biggrin.png!

Eat double portions of your daily food the day before Thanksgiving (5-6 times a day), so you will not want to eat anything on next day.

If your relatives will force you to eat, then take some healthy food from their table ( I'm sure you'll find something healthy there).

The problem is solved!teehee.gif

don't over eat. And you can have a small slice of pumpkin pie after the low gi meal of turkey.

And yeah, find a sweet potato dish that doesn't involve sugar to bring. Have that, plus the green veggies, plus the turkey.

I'll probably ask my housemates for $12 each and make thanksgiving dinner all bah mahself. Can't wait. :)

Thanksgiving here in Canada has already passed and I definitely broke out from eating desserts.

During occasions like these I just say screw it. I have acne even if I don't eat it, so I might as well enjoy like everyone else - I just get a few more pimples, a little redder.

It's funny though, every year at Thanksgiving or Christmas I tell myself I won't have to worry next year because I'll have clear skin by then, but it obviously hasn't happened. It makes me sad to know that someone can give me a year to clear my skin and I still can't, not even with chemicals if that's the route I wanted to take.

Thanksgiving here in Canada has already passed and I definitely broke out from eating desserts.

During occasions like these I just say screw it. I have acne even if I don't eat it, so I might as well enjoy like everyone else - I just get a few more pimples, a little redder.

It's funny though, every year at Thanksgiving or Christmas I tell myself I won't have to worry next year because I'll have clear skin by then, but it obviously hasn't happened. It makes me sad to know that someone can give me a year to clear my skin and I still can't, not even with chemicals if that's the route I wanted to take.

haha i think the same way every year too.

somehow every time i get a regimen that works and im acne free, I tweak it and end up back at square one. its like im my own worst enemy.

I dont want to sound like i'm going against the grain but.... Why not try eating everything, and eat tonnes. Ice cream, pie, stuffing, everything!! Thanksgiving comes but once a year. Your relatives slave over the food. As long as everything is "home made" just go nuts and fill you boots. With all the variety that will be there you will no doubt cover all your nutritional bases. Eat a bunch of turkey especially. I bet things wont be as nearly as bad as you think!

In regards to healthy eating. Enjoy it and laugh about it. Your family loves you, even if you seem like the black sheep haha.

[EDIT]

I'd also like to point out, i'm thinking you skin may even improve with a meal of epic proportion.

Edited by moonbase

Screw acne.

Anorexia has ruined the holiday season for me for the past 3 years.

I'm going to eat what I want.

Like moonbase said, its just one meal. One amazing, once-a-year meal that EVERYBODY should just freakin' enjoy... why would you avoid eating all the yummy food? And think about how insulting that would be to your family. Its THANKSGIVING. Be grateful you have the privilege to eat those wonderful foods that someone was loving enough to prepare for you.

Get some source of fat/fiber in you before reaching for the dessert. Turkey + a salad will help minimize the impact on your blood sugar from the pie and you'll be filled up anyway so you're less likely to stuff your face. Don't avoid any of the food, it's Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving you're SUPPOSED to eat and be a glutton to some degree. Just be a smart glutton.

If your family asks, explain it to them. Tell them you wish to eat and live healthier and that they're the strange ones for not doing so as well.

Edited by chunkylard

I'm going to eat what I want.

Like moonbase said, its just one meal. One amazing, once-a-year meal that EVERYBODY should just freakin' enjoy... why would you avoid eating all the yummy food? And think about how insulting that would be to your family. Its THANKSGIVING. Be grateful you have the privilege to eat those wonderful foods that someone was loving enough to prepare for you.

Really? To me Thanksgiving is the most boring meal I eat all year. Not a meat and potatoes fan, ever. Blah food like that doesn't spell celebration to me. And I hate so many of the crap foods that have crept into the tradition. Like all that sugar and marshmallows they ruin sweet potatoes with. The green bean casserole thing with the mushroom soup, cheese and fried onions. There might as well not even be any beans in that dish. There could be anything under there. And I'm a native Texan, but I hate pecan pie. And pumpkin pie far from a favorite dessert as well.

I do like the day when I turn the leftovers into a turkey pot pie. I love turkey (or whatever) pot pie.

That said, I am going to eat what I want too. I always do.

Edited by alternativista

I know what you're talking about when you say marshmallow thing. That's disgusting. My meal was more traditional, no sugar in the sweet potatoes.

It's kind of the same as Jello salad... why not just eat regular fruit salad? It's delicious.

That's why I bring the sweet potatoes. I want to roast them with cranberries, but it's best to not bring something that needs to go in the oven as there are so many other dishes that need to go in there.

Look how pretty:

Stuffed sweet potatoes with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and feta, plus lemony kale salad.

http://www.notakeout...tm_medium=email

Suddenly I see this trick everywhere: massaging the kale to break down the tough fibers rather than cooking it.

Edited by alternativista

I know what you're talking about when you say marshmallow thing. That's disgusting. My meal was more traditional, no sugar in the sweet potatoes.

It's kind of the same as Jello salad... why not just eat regular fruit salad? It's delicious.

That's why I bring the sweet potatoes. I want to roast them with cranberries, but it's best to not bring something that needs to go in the oven as there are so many other dishes that need to go in there.

Look how pretty:

Stuffed sweet potatoes with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and feta, plus lemony kale salad.

http://www.notakeout...tm_medium=email

Suddenly I see this trick everywhere: massaging the kale to break down the tough fibers rather than cooking it.

That looks really good.

"Like all that sugar and marshmallows they ruin sweet potatoes with." Ugh I know! I used to hate sweet potatoes because I thought that's the only way they existed.

I think if you enjoy the way you eat and it makes you feel good, tell them, that's what I do! I find that most people get really offended when you tell them grains are bad and fat is good.... my mom thinks I'm nuts and worries about me since she eats activia, lean meat, granola bars and fat free milk all day. Learn to pick your battles. If your family is relentless, just tell them to bugger off and remind them you don't tell them how to eat. smile.png

It is a family gathering though, if you want to indulge in something, do it. Just don't stress about it, enjoy yourself!

Oh yeah, and offer to bring your own side or dessert too. I'm making my family a paleo Thanksgiving this year since I am the host again. Roasted turkey, cranberry slaw, seafood stuffed mushrooms, green veggie salad, pumpkin custard for dessert and the wine will be flowing. The wine part may not be paleo...

Edited by spectacled_owl