Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

Why Does Adult Acne Occur?

I'm wondering why it is a lot of people get acne when they're older rather than younger/in teens?

After reading so many posts here of people trying absolutely everything and nothing changing in their acne is a little scary as I and a friend have adult acne too as we never had it when we were younger only now hitting the 20s+

Seeing that people have tried extreme diets and multiple courses of accutane with no luck is worrisome :(

It's possible that the gut lining finally succumbs to all the rubbish we've eaten over the years, and antibiotics we've been subjected to.

Not sure if you count Paleo as extreme, but it's certainly worked for me.

I had some minor acne as a teen but when I hit my 20's BOOM- My face went CRAZY!

I have no history of acne in my family... The only thing I can think of is hormones, stress, and makeup.

I don't think there is a KNOWN cause though, just guesses.

I know that any hormonal shifts I experience (stopping/starting the pill, pregnancy, post-natal crap, etc) all affect my skin to various degrees. And for whatever reason it just won't stop - I'm 30 and broke out as a teenager as well. Lucky me! Maybe all the rubbish we eat screws up our hormones. Who knows? All I know is it sucks.

because acne isnt caused by just hormones, theres also diet and the health of your body, what your parents fed you as a child etc.

Exactly. Specially what you eat nowadays. And you can still have hormonal unbalance even in your 20's.

And acne can be caused by a lot of other factors: stress, alcohol consumption, medicines/drugs, irritation caused by chemicals (soaps, moisturizers, make-up, etc).

A way to eliminate all (or almost) these factors is Wai Diet.

because acne isnt caused by just hormones, theres also diet and the health of your body, what your parents fed you as a child etc.

Exactly. Specially what you eat nowadays. And you can still have hormonal unbalance even in your 20's.

And acne can be caused by a lot of other factors: stress, alcohol consumption, medicines/drugs, irritation caused by chemicals (soaps, moisturizers, make-up, etc).

I had a diet similar to this, the raw vegan diet and it did clear me up as well when i was on it like 100% clear, i miss it.

But how do you eat raw meat and raw eggs? Isn't that bad for you?

I had a diet similar to this, the raw vegan diet and it did clear me up as well when i was on it like 100% clear, i miss it.

But how do you eat raw meat and raw eggs? Isn't that bad for you?

It isn't, as long as they are 100% fresh.

Raw meat must be non-radiated, or else it can give you acne. Should also be organic, since non-organic meat is very unhealthy cooked, so even more raw. Can also be frozen. Freezing is good to kill parasites (still parasite incidence is very low, I never found any in 8 months of diet, for instance).

Egg yolks should really be organic/free-range, and 100% fresh. Google "how to check if an egg is fresh".

Acne has an unkown origin, not a public one anyway. There's no money in cures. You may control control it by diet (ex. Wai, ect) or by supplements (ex. Turmeric,ect) but you still have it. If eating poorly as a child was the cause then almost everyone would have it. My wife eats like **** and never had pimple. All she drinks is soda, never eats any kind of healthy food, and doesn't even wash her face regularly. That p***** me off :):( It's kind of like diabetes. You can control it with diet or by taking either pills or insulin, but you still have it.

Adult acne is probably caused by certain genetic makeup [IGF-1 polymorphism] aggravated by western diet. Also, I don't want to scare anyone, but "persistent acne in adulthood with high IGF-1 levels may be considered as an indicator for increased risk of cancer, which may require appropriate dietary intervention as well as treatment with insulin-sensitizing agents". Of course, diet alone might be not enough to completely clear acne in many cases, but it should definitely help.

Edited by VanceAstro

I suppose im just confused why some of us have it and others dont. my diet has never ever consisted of soda/processed foods or junk. its just the way i grew up and still have hormonal issues enough to cause acne. my others sisters dont. my twin sister did which seemed interesting.. but the pill cleared her up when im still having issues with it on the pill but it just happened all of a sudden last year. i just wish i knew why some people , which we've all seen dont have any more options left for their acne. if its a symptom of something - what of ? i cant believe its so difficult to fix i wish we could cure ourselves like we did before we all had acne. i suppose i dont really understand what so significantly can start the acne and then it seems like a uphill battle from there on for years. for me, i never had acne before last year this time (nearly 19yo) for a few years i have tried 2 different birth control with no problem then BAM all of a sudden and had to change to diane 35 and spiro. i just hate how this all happened and im unknown as to why as if it is programmed to out of the blue you know. but weirdly my identical twin had acne at 16 and i was completely clear then. she went straight onto diane whilst i tried a few other pills as i thought i was the lucky one and just didnt understand acne. now a few years later its my turn and its worse than hers. considering we're twins its no a coincidence that we both have it. so i fear of genes :( i just wish we all knew exactly you know. im rotten scared of the future and whats to come for me if it means i'll forever have acne. i live so different to everyone i know trying to help fix myself and i feel so odd and depressed that i cant enjoy things others can :/

Adult acne is probably caused by certain genetic makeup [IGF-1 polymorphism] aggravated by western diet. Also, I don't want to scare anyone, but "persistent acne in adulthood with high IGF-1 levels may be considered as an indicator for increased risk of cancer, which may require appropriate dietary intervention as well as treatment with insulin-sensitizing agents". Of course, diet alone might be not enough to completely clear acne in many cases, but it should definitely help.

THIS! I think when it comes to acne treating, we have to use different approaches:diet, oral meds and topicals at the same time. 'Cuz they are powerful together and separately they are not enough. It's like...you cannot take accutane and eat oily food and sleep with makeup on but you cannot rely only on diet either.

And it's always good to change your topicals, so your skin will not get use to them. Try different things in order to avoid resistence and irritation.

To everyone who's saying that diet is not enough, I challenge you to try Wai Diet for a few weeks/months and, after that, you'll surely change your opinion.

The theory behind this diet (which is purely biochemistry, not faith or some other kind of believe) says that acne has a simple cause - it occurs when both these factors occur: 1.) high sebum production, 2.) too much moisture pinching off sebum canals. If you eliminate one of these to, you stop getting acne. Acne medications eliminate factor 1.), spoiling your skin, and sometimes also spoiling your health pretty badly (Accutane). Wai Diet is the only thing you can do to eliminate factor 2.), which will only bring you health benefits.

But this is just theory, and you have all the right to doubt about it... that's why I challenge everyone to try the diet for 2 weeks and they'll be stunned by themselves.

the thing that concerns me about the wai diet is the no vegetable part :/ I thought vegies were the most healthiest things for any human? I also keep reading that if anything fruit isn't needed due to the sugar. so confused -_-

the thing that concerns me about the wai diet is the no vegetable part :/ I thought vegies were the most healthiest things for any human? I also keep reading that if anything fruit isn't needed due to the sugar. so confused -_-

Here is why vegetables aren't healthy for humans: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/vgb.html

"Since we aren't pigeons or cows, we don't have a crop to digest cereals, nor 4 stomachs to gradually digest grasses or leaves. Cereals and vegetables contain many different substances inhibiting digestion and the uptake of nutrients, when eaten by humans. Humans therefore need to eat food that is appropriate for their digestive system. There is not a single nutrient in vegetables or cereals that fruits do not contain."

Fruit is needed. Sugar is needed. Your brain alone needs in average 150grams of glucose per day. You may say that most fruits are high in sugar. That's true. But that's not bad. All you need to do is consuming fruits with some fat, to make sure your blood sugar levels don't fluctuate that much (unless you eat a bite of fruit every 10 min, like monkeys do, but that's for sure not practical nowadays :P).

thankyou for that info I'll definitely look into it. I suppose it's frustrating to read a lot of contradicting ways out there. Especially when things like green smoothies are so praised and even for clearing people. Vegetables are full of nutrients :/ do people stay on the wai diet forever? or is it a say 2week - 2 month thing?

Wouldn't fruit be very similar to veggies? I'm not sure I can eat fish and eggs raw haha >.<

upon some research I've noted the words grains and plants keep getting repeated, would the word plant really just mean like things like spinach and the likes of that or are things like carrots and say tomatoes a no no? I also read elsewhere that berries werent meant for human consumption because "they were meant for birds" or something like that. There are some really overwhelming things out there especially when everywhere you read it says to eat veggies, berries and to limit fruit to only a few pieces a day :/

I definitely think it comes down to one of three things, or any combination therein: genetics, environmental changes, hormones. For me, I quit smoking earlier this year and the entire texture of my skin changed in less than a week. It was actually softer and more hydrated than it had been since I was a child. Yay! But then, it began to purge. Boo! In the months to follow, I can only assume that my hormones- which had been supressed by the many chemicals and compounds in cigarettes- began to fluctuate and have yet to level. I am simply trying to ride it out, rather than resort to pills, but all of the signs point to--------> hormonal changes in my case. Many of the members of my family on my mother's side, however, are predisposed to mild acne. It is not unusual to always have at least one active pimple somewhere, and crops of more can come in waves, so I am not especially surprised to be struggling with a particularly bad flare now at the age of 33.

Edited by luckycat

To everyone who's saying that diet is not enough, I challenge you to try Wai Diet for a few weeks/months and, after that, you'll surely change your opinion.

The theory behind this diet (which is purely biochemistry, not faith or some other kind of believe) says that acne has a simple cause - it occurs when both these factors occur: 1.) high sebum production, 2.) too much moisture pinching off sebum canals. If you eliminate one of these to, you stop getting acne. Acne medications eliminate factor 1.), spoiling your skin, and sometimes also spoiling your health pretty badly (Accutane). Wai Diet is the only thing you can do to eliminate factor 2.), which will only bring you health benefits.

But this is just theory, and you have all the right to doubt about it... that's why I challenge everyone to try the diet for 2 weeks and they'll be stunned by themselves.

Wai diet may help and may not. But it's definetly not for someone who's underweight! I'll visually disappear with my 5'8'' and 110 lbs.

I am simply trying to ride it out, rather than resort to pills, but all of the signs point to--------> hormonal changes in my case.

Personally, I think you're doing the right thing. It's best to find other avenues toward clear skin, before going down the medication route.

thankyou for that info I'll definitely look into it. I suppose it's frustrating to read a lot of contradicting ways out there. Especially when things like green smoothies are so praised and even for clearing people. Vegetables are full of nutrients :/

Well, in most people green smoothies can actually get them better of their acne because that's right, they are full of nutrients, and even having lots of anti-nutrients, they have a lot less anti-nutrients (and a lot more nutrients) than all the junk and cooked foods we eat nowadays.

do people stay on the wai diet forever? or is it a say 2week - 2 month thing?

Some people stay on Wai Diet forever. There are people in our board that have been on it for like 10 years. I am on it since Feb2011, and in the last 5 months I haven't eat not even 1 bite of any non-Wai food. That's because non-Wai foods really don't feel like food to me anymore, and I no longer would eat them unless there wasn't anything else. The health benefits are extreme, and extremely evident!

But it's your choice. If you just wanna get acne clear, you don't need to stay on diet forever. You only gotta do it for 2 weeks (no nuts, no more than 100g of animal food per day). After these 2 weeks you will be 100% or almost 100% clear. Then, you can start adding 1 munch food at a time, and wait 3 or 4 days to see whether it gives you acne or not. With these experiments, you begin deciding how clean you want your skin to be, because you'll know what causes you pimples and what doesn't. Google free acne book to know more about this.

Wouldn't fruit be very similar to veggies? I'm not sure I can eat fish and eggs raw haha >.<

Fruit isn't similar to veggies. It's a lot easier for us to digest and a lot richer in nutrients (specially carbs and fats).

About raw fish and raw egg yolks, it's a matter of habit. Ever tried sashimi? Ever tried raw egg yolks with sugar? It's really tasty!

upon some research I've noted the words grains and plants keep getting repeated, would the word plant really just mean like things like spinach and the likes of that or are things like carrots and say tomatoes a no no?

Veggies are everything that isn't typically fruit, except tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and olives. These are the only veggie-fruits you can eat.

I also read elsewhere that berries werent meant for human consumption because "they were meant for birds" or something like that.

You can eat berries as long as they're not poisonous or of hard digestion. I get extremely well with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.

But be careful with non-organic berries, and even organic, since they have no skin, so you can end up ingesting a lot of chemicals/toxins/etc.

There are some really overwhelming things out there especially when everywhere you read it says to eat veggies, berries and to limit fruit to only a few pieces a day :/

Yes, this diet's paradigm is quite opposite to what most people actually think. That's why I'd really like everyone in the world to be on this

diet only for 2 weeks, and I guess that at least a big part of them would certainly change their opinion wink.png

Edited by OlympusMons

Wai diet may help and may not. But it's definetly not for someone who's underweight! I'll visually disappear with my 5'8'' and 110 lbs.

You wouldn't lose weight in Wai Diet if you'd keep sipping fruit juices with a little olive oil thought the day. Because juices and oils contain very little fiber, so that they won't full up your stomach, and at the same time contain lots of calories (and nutrients).

1L of orange juice + 60g of olive oil contain 1000kcal, for instance!

Still, I don't think you're underweight, in terms of health. I think you're model-weighted :D (I don't know you so I'm obviously joking).

I am simply trying to ride it out, rather than resort to pills, but all of the signs point to--------> hormonal changes in my case.

Personally, I think you're doing the right thing. It's best to find other avenues toward clear skin, before going down the medication route.

Thanks. There are certainly days when I just want to break down and take whatever pill will get my skin clear NOW, but I fear creating a new, bigger problem. My system is pretty sensitive, too, so I am hoping it responds easily to natural therapies like anti-androgen herbs and antibiotic foods (garlic).

Hi all, new user to this website. Looking for some advice on what to try next!! I never ever had acne as a teenager and then at age of 26 I suddenly developed blister like spots on either side of my mouth on my chin. Was initially diagnosed as a herpes infection but did not respond to aciclovir. Eventually diagnosed as acne and prescribed lymecycline. This controlled my symptoms for about 4 years and then suddenly stopped working. Over the last year and a half I have been prescribed minocycline, courses of erythromycin and topical retinol. Nothing has worked. The spots come up very quickly and are in clusters of small blisters to larger lumps under the skin on either side of my mouth. I am currently on dianette but this isn't working either. Spots are sore and often swell and I can sometimes find it difficult to open my mouth. Spots are really shiny and raw making them difficult to cover up with make up....affects my personal and work life.

Does anyone have any advice?

Maxine

if acne as a teen is due to crazy hormones does anyone know why this transition happens again or is prolonged as an adult? teen years a very specific when it comes to the body changing i guess its interesting when a lot of people i know that have adult acne never had acne as a teen much like myself, yet it seems like once it happens it just doesnt stop? I wish there was an explanation.. our bodies cant possibly be going through the same phases like in the teenage years?