Cherryx

Is Everyone Here Chronically Stressed?

How stressed are you   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Yes, all the time

• Yes, all the time
    • Sometimes
    • Very rarely

Today, I read an article on this website by Dr. Dale Bloom that basically said that teenage acne may be "evolution’s way of preventing us from reproducing before we are physically and mentally ready to take care of our offspring" and adult acne "physical sign of chronic stress, thus reducing the likelihood that a chronically stressed individual would reproduce."

Here is a link: http://www.acne.org/blog/page/2/

So...that made think....are most people with acne constantly stressed? Do you think that stress is related to your acne?

Edited by Cherryx

Well..it depends on reasons. For example I am stressted because of acne, but I don't get acne because I am stressed about something esle. Actually we cannot completely avoid stress in this life, but usually I try to not focus on problems, I let negative thoughts go, but when it comes to dealing with acne-stress is just a usual reaction. I cannot look at myself in the mirror without stress.

I am constantly stressed, not necessarily because my life is stressful but because life in general stresses me out. I have an anxiety disorder so my stress isn't necessarily rational but it is ALWAYS there and I do notice that my skin is worse when I'm more stressed. But... I don't think it's that simple. And there are many people who have chronic, very real, never-ending stress, and don't get acne, just as there are some people who have acne but rarely experience stress... although I would say that it's possible that people with acne as a population are probably more prone to stress than the population of people without acne because of the impact on confidence. I don't really know. But it's unfortunate because stress is totally unavoidable; you can avoid some kinds but you can never avoid it completely, so it would be extremely inconvenient if not being stressed was the only way to not get acne :P

I just thought that article was somewhat offensive. Like it implies that my acne is there for a higher reason. There might be something wrong with me (although I am very healthy). To make me unattractive to potential suitors so I would not be able to reproduce and blah-blah-blah...

But...it's just another theory.

Guest DellHell

"evolution’s way of preventing us from reproducing before we are physically and mentally ready to take care of our offspring" and adult acne "physical sign of chronic stress, thus reducing the likelihood that a chronically stressed individual would reproduce."

No offense but that is such crap.

I am constantly stressed, not necessarily because my life is stressful but because life in general stresses me out. I have an anxiety disorder so my stress isn't necessarily rational but it is ALWAYS there and I do notice that my skin is worse when I'm more stressed. But... I don't think it's that simple. And there are many people who have chronic, very real, never-ending stress, and don't get acne, just as there are some people who have acne but rarely experience stress... although I would say that it's possible that people with acne as a population are probably more prone to stress than the population of people without acne because of the impact on confidence. I don't really know. But it's unfortunate because stress is totally unavoidable; you can avoid some kinds but you can never avoid it completely, so it would be extremely inconvenient if not being stressed was the only way to not get acne tongue.png

Wow, I hope you can manage your stress somehow! Stress negatively affects every aspect of health. However, I'm having hard time defining stress. Like, "am I really stressed?" How can I tell if what I'm feeling is stress?

I am constantly stressed, not necessarily because my life is stressful but because life in general stresses me out. I have an anxiety disorder so my stress isn't necessarily rational but it is ALWAYS there and I do notice that my skin is worse when I'm more stressed. But... I don't think it's that simple. And there are many people who have chronic, very real, never-ending stress, and don't get acne, just as there are some people who have acne but rarely experience stress... although I would say that it's possible that people with acne as a population are probably more prone to stress than the population of people without acne because of the impact on confidence. I don't really know. But it's unfortunate because stress is totally unavoidable; you can avoid some kinds but you can never avoid it completely, so it would be extremely inconvenient if not being stressed was the only way to not get acne tongue.png

Wow, I hope you can manage your stress somehow! Stress negatively affects every aspect of health. However, I'm having hard time defining stress. Like, "am I really stressed?" How can I tell if what I'm feeling is stress?

It usually shows up physically. Like if you notice your shoulders are slightly raised or hunched over, your muscles are tense, your stomach is in knots, you get lots of headaches, you grind your teeth, you're very on edge or jumpy, you have trouble sleeping or eating, you twitch or shake more than normal - at least this is how it is for me. Other people can usually tell too, they'll say I look tense or ask if something's wrong, because there really is an energy you give off when you're stressed. And emotionally it would be if you're feeling a significant enough amount of distress about something that it's hard to cope with it or go about your day as usual.

I do agree that the article is offensive, but that I've heard this approach - that various physical ailments are there for the purpose of making you less attractive to potential mates and thus less likely to reproduce - about all kinds of issues. It's anthropology, it's evolution, it's really interesting, but it's over simplifying things. It is intriguing, though, because there are certain aspects of appearance that are there for the purpose of making other people/animals react to you a certain way. For example, baby humans and baby animals are cute, and everyone - really, everyone - instinctively feels that they are adorable when they look at them, thus making us less likely to hurt them and more likely to care for them. This even goes between species, animals in general feel protective over babies. So could part of the reason people get acne be to say that they aren't ready to reproduce just yet - like, for example, teenagers getting acne because even though they are growing up they are still not mature enough to care for a child? You can see how someone might come to that conclusion, but I don't think that's how it works. We are programmed to reproduce as much as possible in order to keep our species alive, and I doubt that our biology really takes into account how able we are to care for infants, because that's a psychological thing and the same really can't be applied to any animals other than humans, so it's a bit (or a lot) of a stretch to say that that's the reason for acne. It would make more sense if the article said that acne was an indication that your physical health wasn't strong enough to care for a child - but we know that's not always the case.

Edited by mm97

that sounds really interesting but, i just break out when i eat certain foods (grains, soy, potatoes, lentils, legumes, pasta, bread, cheese, dairy, heated food, sugar, rice, wheat, gluten, etc)

i guess i dont really stress about my skin but im just really insecure. (im sure most of you can relate to this) yknow the feeling that people are judging you based on your acne, and so you try to blend in to avoid attracting attention but you really just want everyone to like you? yeah that

even though my skins gotten so much better over the summer, i still struggle with this. it might be my personality affecting it too

If stress is what you describe, then no, I don't think I am stressed. Sometimes I get anxious, like before going out to a party, but that's because I want things to go as planned and i get all anxious about everything.

Guest Timehealsall

i have severe stress disorder. I am probably stressed 12 hours a day (i.e. tense body, edgy etc etc).

I noticed that sometimes it affects my acne... and than i remember a year ago when i had severe stress everyday, and i had like a breakout every 3-4 months (i.e. rarely).

SO i dunno?

Not consciously. I don't know, I have a type of acne that is very likely related to stress/hormones - and yet my hormone levels (which I got tested roughly one month before my outbreak hit) are all completely normal, and before the acne happened I always felt like a pretty calm/unflappable person... though it's entirely possible that I was in constant denial about the amount of stress in my life, ha tongue.png It's a bit awkward because every time somebody who knew me before sees me, they always go "it must be all the stress in your life!" and outwardly I nod but inwardly I'm just like "...but I didn't even feel that stressed because this all went down wtf."

Edited by hotburrito