Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stuckpain

I Avoid Acne Food Triggers And Still Get Acne

Hi I really need help to find out what is going on with me. I been doing a lot of research to try and see what more to avoid to not get acne but I still get it and BAD! I'm going to list alot of factors of my lifestyle so you all can get an idea and possible help me out better.

I've been a fruitarian/vegetarian/vegan for about 5 years or so since that time I also had developed anorexia/bulimia for about that long(still struggling). When I lost lots of weight at first as a fruitarian(only eating fruits mostly) I got rid of my period for a year and my face was really clear it felt great. But when I got bulimia and started binge eating often I gained a bit of weight back(not a lot) but half way thru that year a started getting breakouts huge cystic like and also got my period back. So since then I still had both eating disorders and became vegan now but I learned to avoid grains(refined and whole, except psyllium husk fiber),sugary/salty/fried/cooked foods,Nuts/Fats/Oils(occasional avocado slice or flax seed powder),desserts/chocolate/cakes/cookies(its hard to avoid them if they are at home),recently now Soy foods.

Foods I try to only eat:Vegetables/salads,low sugar fruits,fiber,vegan protein powder(rice based, low calorie),almond milk(non sugar ideal),seaweed,grass jelly,home made smoothies of fruits and veggies along with supplements,sweet potatoes/yam(dried,cooked purple ones),pumpkin,occasional veggie patty,seaweed salad,sushi,scallion pancake or frozen yogurts. I feel I eat too much some times though and try to avoid binges on foods that aren't good(its hard).

On top of that I exercise constantly as much as I can all day I walk for hours,dance(zumba,or my own style),run,jump,bike,use a medicine ball. Sleep plenty, avoid stress,drink only water and tea.

Make up I use is bare mineral but I don't think it is the problem, I used it several month with out getting breakout from it specifically.(I wash the brush)

I feel my diet helps me out to avoid getting sick and migraines(also a problem) but I wish it could help me better to avoid PMS acne which is what I believe is my problem, this year my periods are either late or irregular and skip at least every other month. I been trying to get rid of it on my own because I feel it is the solution with out birth control(that would make me fat) I tried spironolactone with not much help except weight gain on my boobs it was gross, also got a laser treatment which was a rip off. I don't want to deal with more scars and nasty bumps making it hard for me to go out and not be all covered up from everyone. Please help! here are some recent pictures of the severity of my skin right now: post-160542-0-50243300-1319156492_thumb.

P.S: I'm guessing i'll get my period one of these days since I haven't yet for this month and that is probably why my acne has flared up, but I usually haven't had any cheek breakout until lately, my problem are is around my mouth and chin area.

post-160542-0-96304400-1319156542_thumb.

post-160542-0-58761100-1319156546_thumb.

post-160542-0-50243300-1319156492_thumb.

post-160542-0-96304400-1319156542_thumb.

post-160542-0-58761100-1319156546_thumb.

Edited by Rid

Why would you want to get rid of your period? That would mean you're underweight and sick and you're risking having permanent damage done!

Have you had your homone levels checked? Have you discarded PCOS? If that's the problem, maybe you should try to get on the pill as it tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant and you never actually get a "real period", but be very aware of the side effects when getting on it and getting off it. I think there are some natural alternatives like saw palmetto pills for example, there's more information on this forum.

By the wat, you need to relax about your diet! It's no surprise you are binge eating if you are so obssessed with what you have to eat and what you don't.

Good luck!

Hm. Yours is in the same place as mine, you're much more committed to your diet though. It's frustrating, I know. I go through picking cycles, I'm pretty sure that's where my inflammation stems from. I try to think of pus as my body's bandaid and method of healing but the second I'm up/getting ready for the day I pull it out with folded toilet paper over my fingertips, which makes everything redder/spread/etc. It's a weird habit to get over that feels therapeutic in a way and like the only time I'm in control of my skin (and we both know there are other means of controlling it through diet and living healthily). I know that's what makes it worse but going out in public with whiteheads is too stressful for me (just today I wore foundation for the first time in months and felt relieved, it's strange how sometimes makeup can be a method for forgetting about your skin and the worry that comes along with, if not for awhile).

It'll be interesting to read replies to your topic, I feel I'm in the same position as you, minus the bulimia/anorexia (which can't be working to your advantage, as you probably already know). I just picked up a book from the library about herbs and how to make various tonics/teas/bath soaks/herb infused stuff and the health properties of each one, perhaps there are some that would help you heal your esophagus from the digestive acids that are most likely inflaming it. I'm looking into herbs with emollient properties myself. :)

Why would you want to get rid of your period? That would mean you're underweight and sick and you're risking having permanent damage done!

Have you had your homone levels checked? Have you discarded PCOS? If that's the problem, maybe you should try to get on the pill as it tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant and you never actually get a "real period", but be very aware of the side effects when getting on it and getting off it. I think there are some natural alternatives like saw palmetto pills for example, there's more information on this forum.

By the wat, you need to relax about your diet! It's no surprise you are binge eating if you are so obssessed with what you have to eat and what you don't.

Good luck!

I know getting rid of periods would be permanent damage done but for an eating disorder person it doesn't matter most of the time :/, and I just want to stop more new scars and pimples obviously.

I would go to get my hormone levels checked but we don't have any insurance for doctors right now and don't qualify either yet it seems. And I also have read and researched PCOS i'm not sure if I have it though, since only have some of the symptoms and I haven't been overweight for some time now. Also what is the name of ''the pill?'' but I think i'd rather take saw palmetto pills again, I used to take them back when I had clearer skin and started losing weight but I didn't know they helped my skin out. I'll look that up again. I'm considering taking a niacin supplement since I don't eat much of that and might help.

And at least lately I haven't binge ate HUGE or normal binge amounts like I used to, but I consider anything like 2 pieces of break or a regular bowl serving of cereal to be a binge or eating too much vegetables or fruit juice :/. Thanks for the info though

You still get acne, cuz diet is simply not enough. When it comes to acne managing it's better to have different approaches.

Sigh, another victim.

You have acne because you're not eating enough fat. You DO have a poor diet, because it lacks the healthiest thing you can eat.

My acne was worse than yours and I turned it around, diet is the only real thing that makes a difference, you just need to look at your definition of healthy.

Edited by uncle buck

Your acne might be hormonal instead of diet-related, so dieting/not dieting probably won't affect it nearly as much. It's a shame your insurance won't cover testing, because getting your hormone levels tested might be helpful in your case. I'm guessing you won't be able to afford Accutane either in that case, because that's what I would recommend for your acne if all the other stuff doesn't seem to help :(

Well after reading the whole thread I found the conclusion that you had apply a good strategy but still it not worked..I wondered why oit happens..May be you should consult to doctor..

Where's your protein? Where's your fat? Why avoid meat and fish? I sincerely doubt you became a vegan for the ethical reasons, knowing your past history with eating disorders.

Your diet is incomplete, even if some of the things you're eating are healthy - your overall lifestyle isn't very healthy and must be fixed.

Edited by chunkylard

Wow, I'm sorry everyone is giving you such sucky advice.

Seconded.

And I'm sorry that I can't really give you advice either... I have struggled with anorexia since I was 12, I am much better now, but I understand that it makes changing your diet much more complicated because you're genuinely scared of change. I do think it could be a hormonal issue, especially because your periods aren't regular, but again, I totally understand not wanting to go on birth control, I would not touch it either. However losing your period again will only make it worse and not solve anything, because you can't not have a period indefinitely - maintaining a weight that low is not feasible. I don't know how low of a weight you were when you lost your period the first time, but my BMI was around 13 when I first lost mine. My BMI is only 16-17 now but I still get regular periods, so I'd have to be really really unhealthy to stop getting them again and I don't want that. So... I don't know what to tell you in terms of what you should do, but I understand your fear and I want you to stay healthy! Eating disorders make everything worse. Everything.

Bear in mind you may have some intolerances within the diet you're eating. I'm strict Paleo, but I've been tested and found that I have intolerances to various nuts, rice etc so eating any of these, or anything derived from these then it's back to square one. Try and get a blood test done, not cheap though.

Edited by captainsunshine

Firts of all, bear in mind that none of us are doctors, but since you mentioned not getting acne when you suppressed your period, I thought that it might be hormone related, I mean, all acne is hormonal, but in your case it may not be related to your diet, that's why I suggested getting on birth control pill since it suppresses your period, but as I mentioned before, it also has many side effects.

Here's a good thread about hormonal acne: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/HORMONAL-Acne-Reading-t8912.html

Hope that helps! :)

Diet affects hormones, believe it or not. Putting it down to hormones and calling it a day is like saying skin causes acne.

BTW Steve Jobs became Vegan because he thought it would help him beat his cancer. What a great idea that was.

Edited by uncle buck

Diet affects hormones, believe it or not. Putting it down to hormones and calling it a day is like saying skin causes acne.

BTW Steve Jobs became Vegan because he thought it would help him beat his cancer. What a great idea that was.

Aren't you just a bundle of joy. mellow.png

You need to eat some animals smile.png Quality animal proteins and fats are essential.

Edited by moonbase

Well my acne seems to be more PMS related than anything, cause I got my period a day after I posted this and now that its going away so are those pimples in the picture, except the red marks T_T. But Anyways I was reading ''free acne e book'' its really interesting. Also I went out to get some niacin and saw palmetto supplements to see if they help me(I experienced the niacin flush last night it was weird, but haven't went though it again the second time I took it today). So i'll see how that goes.

And I really don't think eating animals for me would work out, I seen how brutal humans treat them and slaughter them just so they can be sold and eaten. :(

It'll probably take some time to recover from your eating disorders. And you are saying that the acne in those pictures appears before your period and then goes away??

If so, you should look into estrogen dominance more so than anti-androgen supplements. Is your skin oily?

It'll probably take some time to recover from your eating disorders. And you are saying that the acne in those pictures appears before your period and then goes away??

If so, you should look into estrogen dominance more so than anti-androgen supplements. Is your skin oily?

Yes I usually break out with pimples before my periods (but not usually on my cheeks, they been clear since 2008 except old scars) so I thought this time it was really unpleasant dealing with that, the problem area is usually around my chin/mouth but this time around I didn't have much pimples there it seems. I mean I also get small pimples after my period or whiteheads which is not good but its always just aggravates the 2 weeks before my period, my skin is kind of oily with dry spots.

Estrogen dominance supplements?