Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InAStateOfHopefulness

I Wore No Makeup Today... It Was Liberating.

After I saw my dermatologist today I went into Dillard's to buy some new makeup [still sans makeup]. The lady who helped me was sooooooooooooooooooooooo kind. She kept telling me that my acne didn't detract from how handsome I was. Even if she was just being nice it was a massive confidence boost. So I went around the mall shopping. I went to another NINE other stores. I haven't been without makeup in public since... over a year and a half ago. It was so freeing. However it was a mall an hour away, not the one I normally frequent. I'm not sure if I can do this again. I did sit in my car for 30 minutes an emotional wreck starting and stopping and driving away and reparking before I forced myself to go into the mall.

How can I build myself up to doing this more often?

I'm glad to hear you achieved something that you have always wanted to do.

I think you answered the question in your original paragraph.

I think the only way to build confidence up like that is to keep doing it. Push yourself, but don't over do it. You did it this time, why not again?

Good luck!

thats so great! keep doing it! im going to stop wearing makeup sometime soon :)

i think you can work up to it, like going makeup-free to places kind of far away from where you live (like you did the first time) and then gradually getting closer and then eventually where you go regularly

Way to go! Keep at it- you're doing exactly what you should be doing. Keep exposing yourself to the situation that causes anxiety, and the anxiety will diminish and your confidence will grow!

Wow that was really fearless!!! Congratulations for doing that! I don't think i could ever do something like that!!! And the best part was that you didn't go to places that nobody can see you! you went to stores and the mall... i mean... plenty of people! Congratulations!!! keep doing that!!! :)

I'm usually without makeup, my attitude towards my acne in relation to others being "If my face offends anybody then that's their problem. If they try dishing out advice I'll kindly do my best to interrupt them by saying I'm dealing with it to the best of my ability, just like all the problems they face in their life."

This thought process is so detrimental, in a way, that wearing makeup is liberating in my case because then I'm less likely to come up with things to say to imaginary people. saywhat.gif

Edited by corgisoulpower

Thank you for sharing...that is wonderful to hear!! =) I echo what others have said; the only way to become more comfortable with yourself is to push yourself into those situations more often.

We all know you can do it! ^_^