Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oracle Crow

Is Washing More Than Twice A Day, Bad?

Okay so I usually wash my face when I get home after-school with basically the stuff I use in the morning. I only do that because my face feels and looks pretty oily. A side-note I use a little concealer on my spots but it suppose to help "clear" those with a little 1% of salicylic acid (I don't think it helps). I've been thinking I can just stop using concealer unless a pimple is pretty red since it takes up plenty of time and can cause it to go to a head. But is washing three times a day to much? Also I'm been experimenting with my old Proactiv cleanser since my foaming ones are a little to drying sometimes and I like how my skin absorbs the benzoyl peroxide or whatever. Thanks!

I have an oily face and washing more than twice a day hasn't done anything bad to me. :) I know after coming back home from school my skin feels way too dirty so the first thing I do after coming back home is washing my face . I cleanse my face in the morning and at night, and after coming back home from school. When I am at home after working out, I wash my face. So in brief, I wash my face 3 times a day and it didn't dry out my skin . :)

Like Ribbo said, I do pretty much the same thing. My face feels extremely dirty after school so I usually try and resist washing my face but end up doing so anyways because I feel as though it makes me breakout if I don't. I usually workout late at night so when I get home I wash my face a third time while taking a shower and it doesn't really dry out my skin unless I'm using products like benzoyl peroxide.

This does not have a simple answer guys. Some people could wash their face 15 times a day, and it wouldn't do anything bad for them. Some people have very resilient skin, that isn't prone to irritation, flaking or drying.

However, if you have acne, it's safe to assume you have sensitive skin--sensitive skin you do not want to dry out. So, you have to be very careful how often you wash your face.

To avoid irritation and drying skin, which is what washing excessively with an irritating cleanser does, you have to use a gentle cleanser and find the "minimum" cleansing you can get away with every day. Me? My perfect amount of cleansing is in fact twice a day, but I rinse with 3 different cleansers every time. The cleansers have no soap or detergents, no glycerin or any traditional cleansing ingredient. I have an aloe-sulfur cleanser, a cleanser made from pumpkin, and the last is saturated oatmeal.

That's been my personal experience--starting with very, very gentle cleansers and messing around with these non-irritating rinses.

If anything, at least make sure you wash right before bed and right when you wake up. There's something magical about timing cleansing around your circadian cycle that I haven't quite understood yet--the research is across the board for me.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Vanbelle

Well thanks for replying so fast. I actually want to try experimenting with Proactiv's treatment lotion since I want to see if it works just as good as clindimycin but I'm unsure since it might break me out. I'll see if I want to or not. I'll have to read your replies a little more tomorrow as I need to go to bed, just thought I would check the site out before. Again, thanks!

I've always had really oily skin. In my experience washing excessively leads to this weird thing where my face is peeling because its dry but also sopping with oil and of course, breaking out. It's awful. Through the years I've learned that having some oil is okay. I used to wash it multiple times a day thinking I had oily skin and breakouts because my face was "dirty," but really I was just aggravating the problem and perpetuating it. Now I let my skin be all day long and rinse it with water before I go to bed at night. Through all the years and all of the money I've thrown away on acne products, THIS has worked best for me.

Guest Timehealsall

Well thanks for replying so fast. I actually want to try experimenting with Proactiv's treatment lotion since I want to see if it works just as good as clindimycin but I'm unsure since it might break me out. I'll see if I want to or not. I'll have to read your replies a little more tomorrow as I need to go to bed, just thought I would check the site out before. Again, thanks!

how long have u been on the mino for?

I've been on it since about March or April. So about 7 months now. The only I don't like about it is my colored teeth, and the fact it's anitbiotivs but that can't be helped.