Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EasyWind42

Taking Time Off From School Because Of Acne

I am almost 24 years old, and still suffer from what I consider to be fairly bad acne and scarring. I barely go out during the day, unless absolutely necessary, and have been wearing make-up when I do go out for years now. I am a straight male, but can't even bring myself to leave the house without putting on make-up, and I don't know whats worse, being in public with awful red acne or having my friends or anyone for that matter notice that I am wearing make-up. Gah, well anyway, I have missed weeks of classes now because of a particularly bad breakout on top of an already constantly broken out face, and now my only option is to drop my classes this semester as to not fail out. I can't believe I am dropping out of school because of acne... I know the practical advice is to not let acne get you down too much, and to not let it control your life, but I can't help it. I am 23, I should be starting a career, becoming more serious with my girlfriend, and going outside and having fun, but instead I feel like a helpless little kid. I went on accutane once, and I lost my hair because of it. My hair took over a year to grow back, soooo medicine sceeves me out a bit. Nothing seems to work. Benzoyl works ok, certainly speeds the process up a bit, but makes my face very red, and it always seems like my face finds a way to push new zits out as soon as older ones start to dissipate. I have begun to resort to treatments like lemon juice and egg whites, I do see benefits from them, but as for a cure or even getting me to a point of feeling comfortable, no way. I don't know, I just needed to vent I guess. I have struggled with acne since my teens, but the psychological effects it is having on me is starting to become a pretty serious matter. Something has got to give.

See if you can get a medical leave from attending your classes. The emotional side effects of Acne should be taken into consideration within the medical community (i hope) At least a psychiatrist can do something? Show up on good days just to remind your instructors that you care. If you can't get a medical leave with Acne, try to make up another medical excuse.

Edited by Hero353

I'm so sorry to hear about this. If I were in your shoes, I would probably make the same decision - I honestly wish I could just quit my job right now, but I need the money (and I'd probably feel too guilty if I did). Know that you're far from alone in feeling this way, and good luck!

I used to do the same thing with work and school. Well actually anything that had me leave the house. I just wanted to hide from everyone even my own family. Just know that u r not alone in this battle with acne. Try not to let acne control your life like i used to. What i found to make my acne worse if not more red was using a salicylic acid cleanser every day, twice a day. Now i use it only once every couple of days and switched to a bp based cleanser. I found that to help out a lot.

Looks like you need some dual treatment; a dermatologist to help you clear your acne and a psychologist to help you through its emotional effects.

Many people who have acne suffer from depression... If you like to read, there is a great book called "The Broken Mirror" that is very interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Mirror-Understanding-Treating-Dysmorphic/dp/B0013VZKF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319032941&sr=8-1 There are a lot of patient interviews documented in the text which was nice for me; felt like I had someone who could finally relate to the depression that my acne was causing me.

Please get help. I hate to see acne ruin someone's dreams and future.comfort.gif

What a coincidence, im dropping out of school because of my skin too. My skin has caused me severe depression which makes it impossible to have the desire to learn, all i care about is clearing my skin so I'm setting aside a few years of my life purely devoted to clearing my skin.

I took this semester off because of my acne too. I never thought I'd do something this drastic but I had to. My advice would be try to look at the positives. If you do take this semester off, make good use of it. Acne is an illness, and it affects everyone differently, some to a very great extent, so you have every right to take time off if you need it and don't feel guilty about it. School will always be there, and it's best to be in it when you know you can devote yourself to the experience as much as possible, rather than go through a semester when you know you'll feel awful the entire time and possibly do even more damage to yourself emotionally.

Im thinking on doing the same. My acne is extemly severe so i have to take the right measures to cure it. Not only is it embarrassing but it is painful. I am only a freshman and I am already giving up this easily.

My acne was pretty bad before, but now in college it's just getting worse. I always had many inflamed, painful pimples but I just felt a large cyst on my face, which is really unlike what I've had the past 7 years.. I'm really stressed out about my skin and I feel like its making studying worse, but I feel like I have to finish out this year. Have you guys talked to counsellors at your school? I'm thinking of doing that this week.

I don't think I'd ever completely quit school because of my acne, but I don't have severe acne either. I used to have mild-moderate acne but now I have more mild or not any since Diane35 is working so well.

I've never missed school because of acne except once, and that was this year. I broke out all over the left side of my face and I just couldn't force myself to go. Even in high school when I would breakout really badly I would still go and didn't even think about missing, but this year I guess I'm more self conscious about my face, and more self aware. I felt pathetic, but I am still glad I didn't go. Sometimes people who have acne issues just need a day to relax and isolate, especially if we are broken out really bad.

I've done it too. I subconsciously avoid getting close to many people at college because I am not the best I can be. Maybe not just because of acne, but something is causing me to feel like doing nothing all of the time. Accutane causes a bunch of problems, and it could not just be the acne that is making you feel this way. I took it twice and I am still suffering the consequences. Really, get your hormones checked out. Do it now, don't wait. They play a huge role in your well being and acne causing an endless loop of problems, just making you worse. Try to clean up your diet if you aren't already as well. Try to do something more about your situation, rather than just letting it get to you and crippling you from going to school. If you don't do everything you can, how can you sit back? I'm not trying to criticize, just trying to help. The sooner you start trying to figure out and solve the problem, the sooner you are to being clear and getting back to school. Maybe you need someone close to you to push you a little? Maybe your GF?

I've never done it, but I've come close to skipping countless times. I can't stand my skin and the dampener it has on my confidence, but I'm not letting it get in the way of my education, because ultimately that's my future. I get comments and looks, but put up with it, bottle all the frustration up until I get home. I don't want to let it win.

I took this semester off because of my acne too. I never thought I'd do something this drastic but I had to. My advice would be try to look at the positives. If you do take this semester off, make good use of it. Acne is an illness, and it affects everyone differently, some to a very great extent, so you have every right to take time off if you need it and don't feel guilty about it. School will always be there, and it's best to be in it when you know you can devote yourself to the experience as much as possible, rather than go through a semester when you know you'll feel awful the entire time and possibly do even more damage to yourself emotionally.

My family would kill me if I drop off my semesters. They think acne is not a serious reaons to miss the claseses, and they always say that my acne is not bad enough to worry that much. 8 months ago ( when I was doin' nothing to treat my acne) I was severely depressed about my skin, and I couldn't even focus on my homeworks. I was missing classes, but I never told my family about it. They would never understand, instead- I would have huge problems and stress. But I realized that staying home is not a solution. Well, if you take Accutane for 6-7 months and get 90% clear then yeah, it's fine, but if you're gonna spend your semester just hiding and stressing even more about your acne, then it's not gonna work. And you can never be accurate when it comes to acne treating. Who knoes maybe it will last for a year or more. You're gonna go to that damn college or univer someday, you cannot put off your life all the time for different excuses. Sometimes focusing on grades even help with depression and obssesive thoughts about acne.

My acne was pretty bad before, but now in college it's just getting worse. I always had many inflamed, painful pimples but I just felt a large cyst on my face, which is really unlike what I've had the past 7 years.. I'm really stressed out about my skin and I feel like its making studying worse, but I feel like I have to finish out this year. Have you guys talked to counsellors at your school? I'm thinking of doing that this week.

Counsellors....I am too embarrassed even when I go to derm. office. I cannot imagine myself talking about my acne and insecurities with a counsellor. It will make me feel pathetic and sorry for myself.

Edited by amy91

For me, a large part of my problem is dealing with stress, and whether or not it started with acne and insecurities I feel trapped in a cycle of the stress exacerbating my acne issues and causing other health problems as well as acne causing distress constantly. Here it isn't withdrawal from class but the constant distraction and toll on my overall well-being. I'm also feeling driven to constantly look put together and wear makeup, dress well, etc. Being in college is a formative experience, but I don't know if this traditional route is for me. For multiple reasons I've started considering taking a gap year or trying a different type of learning experience. I sincerely hope you guys start feeling better and enjoying your time wherever you end up, because we can all relate to the struggle acne puts us through. After I posted a couple of days ago I really tried to think of positive things to add to my time here. I on and on do yoga and meditate but I plan on being more consistent with it. I also plan on taking morning walks (1 down) and replace negative thinking with positivity. If you guys are interested, I feel like I've gained a lot from High on Health and the Love Vitamin (they are both blog/websites about acne and holistic healing) so maybe they can help you out at all.

I've come to the point where I think I really do need to talk to a counsellor/therapist to work out everything because I've internalized a lot of the suffering I've felt over the years about my skin. I'll be hesitant to start with acne, I don't know if I even want to focus on it, but it's had a strong hold on me for too long and I'm ready to let it go.