Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dee.s198

Can Benzoyl Peroxide Make Your Skin Sore?

I just started Dan's regimen 4 days ago and today my mouth felt really sore, is this normal?

I never get cysitc acne, so that's not it i dont think... unless bp can cause that type of acne?

If you're new to it, it can dry your skin out and make it sore to begin with me. Most people find that and it's not usually something to worry about. Best thing is just to leave that area alone for a little bit and let it heal before you use BP there again. The safest approach with the BP is to use a small amount to start with until your skin gets used to it, then increase the amount gradually. Personally, I've never been able to use BP as it burns my skin, but that's just me. There are plenty of people who can use it without problem as long as they are cautious with the amount they use as it can be pretty potent stuff sometimes. :)

Everyone is different. Id agree with Paul, use a small amount at first not teh whole recommened amount even mix it with moisturiser if you think it will help.

Luckily for me Ive never been sensitive to the stuff(or maybe juts been on it so long I am use to it!) But I still do not use as much as Dan recommends, its just too much for me.

If you continute to feel irritated after a week or so, you may in fact be sensitive to bp. Try tea tree or salicylic acid instead.

A

Hover your mouse over 'get clear' (near the top of this page) then click 'start here'. Your question is part of the actual regimen (though the wording is redness/itchiness) considering you're asking it on the forums, I'm assuming you haven't paid enough attention to the instructions. I'm not saying this to be mean/condescending but it's pretty important that you know the exact regimen in order to get clear, otherwise it may not work. Read it again and again until you know the regimen from start to finish then follow it as closely as possible.

As for flaking, I've been on the regimen for almost 2 months and am fully clear, but still flaking. Dan recommends adding jojoba oil to your moisturizer (also mentioned in the regimen instructions) though I cannot personally say whether it works or not as I've only just ordered it.

Edited by Jamess82

Any flaking, BP related or not, will go away eventually so don't worry about that too much. As long as you keep your skin moisturised, things will balance out over time and your regimen will start to work on the acne without causing other problems for your skin. Jojoba oil is a pretty good option for beating dryness, I find it to be efficient and it doesn't clog my pores which is a bonus. Everyone is different though and we all respond differently to products so it may be a case of trial and error, requiring a little time and patience until you find the best products which work for you. :)

Edited by PaulH85

Thanks so much! smile.png

Will flaking caused by BP eventually go away too (cause your skin gets used to it) ?

Mine mostly did, it got less and less flaking. Now its very minimal but I dont use near the amount of bp Dan does I use maybe a nickel sized drop.