Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pezerinno

Do Legumes Cause Acne?

Ok each time I think I have my diet sorted I have a set back. I have found meat causes outbreaks (even organic, grass fed) so I thought I would start eating beans (organic, dried) to get protein in however they seem to be causing me issues - are they a likely cause of acne?

EDIT: Just a thought I have been drinking coffee every morning where as I normally have tea - would this be a cause? I hope it isn't in a way because I love coffee.

Edited by Pezerinno

I eat lugumes almost everyday, and they don't give me much problems. smile.png

I would probably say that the caffine in the coffee is what is giving you problems.

I

I will test it out by only drinking water. The only food I know for certain that doesn't give me problems are vegetables everything else is either certain or still to be clarified.

I am totally in your same situation. Meat and over consumption of hard boiled eggs gives, even pasture fed eggs, give me acne (tested this again--it's definitely a culprit). However, soft eggs do not (scrambled or omlette/quiche fashion). It's quite wierd. I think it may be a digestion issue or for some reason perhaps I have a tough time digesting large amounts of "solid" protein or something. It never fails--I consistently break out. I do have no issues with dairy (all grass fed) or even straight milk (also grass fed). I've gone lacto ovo vegetarian over the past year and it's really helped. All lacto or ovo for me is grass fed/pasture raised and hormone-free.

I do not have trouble with legumes. They may give you some gas at first so start with small quantities. I eat them almost every day in some form, sometimes in several forms. From what i understand they have good amounts of zinc, which is actually good for acne.

The biggest thing with the veg or near veg diet is make sure you get enough good fats. It can tend to be heavy on carbs if you are not careful. Mine's now about 40% fat and 20% protein, 40% carbs but it took me a long time to tweak it to get it there. Some good easy sources of good fats and omega 3s are: avocados, grass-fed eggs, ground flaxseed (has to be ground to get the benefits), olive oil, coconut oil, hummus, etc. I notice avocados in particular are filling and give me a great energy boost. I try to eat at least one or two a week, and eventually would like to get even more of them. I hate the flavor alone, but if you make it into guac, or blend it into a smoothie, you won't notice.

I do not necessairily agree about the caffeine or coffee. If you drink it black it has a lot of antioxidants in it. Perhaps try decaf. i personally drink green or black tea (caffinated) daily and have no issues.

Also, make sure you're getting enough calories. At first this was a problem for me also. I eat a healthy 2K a day, more if I am working out. I'm thin--I weight about 130 on a 5 8 frame, and was at first actually losing weight--not healthy! Eating is good for the soul. Just make sure it's good stuff you are ingesting. :)

I am totally in your same situation. Meat and over consumption of hard boiled eggs gives, even pasture fed eggs, give me acne (tested this again--it's definitely a culprit). However, soft eggs do not (scrambled or omlette/quiche fashion). It's quite wierd. I think it may be a digestion issue or for some reason perhaps I have a tough time digesting large amounts of "solid" protein or something. It never fails--I consistently break out. I do have no issues with dairy (all grass fed) or even straight milk (also grass fed). I've gone lacto ovo vegetarian over the past year and it's really helped. All lacto or ovo for me is grass fed/pasture raised and hormone-free.

I do not have trouble with legumes. They may give you some gas at first so start with small quantities. I eat them almost every day in some form, sometimes in several forms. From what i understand they have good amounts of zinc, which is actually good for acne.

The biggest thing with the veg or near veg diet is make sure you get enough good fats. It can tend to be heavy on carbs if you are not careful. Mine's now about 40% fat and 20% protein, 40% carbs but it took me a long time to tweak it to get it there. Some good easy sources of good fats and omega 3s are: avocados, grass-fed eggs, ground flaxseed (has to be ground to get the benefits), olive oil, coconut oil, hummus, etc. I notice avocados in particular are filling and give me a great energy boost. I try to eat at least one or two a week, and eventually would like to get even more of them. I hate the flavor alone, but if you make it into guac, or blend it into a smoothie, you won't notice.

I do not necessairily agree about the caffeine or coffee. If you drink it black it has a lot of antioxidants in it. Perhaps try decaf. i personally drink green or black tea (caffinated) daily and have no issues.

Also, make sure you're getting enough calories. At first this was a problem for me also. I eat a healthy 2K a day, more if I am working out. I'm thin--I weight about 130 on a 5 8 frame, and was at first actually losing weight--not healthy! Eating is good for the soul. Just make sure it's good stuff you are ingesting. smile.png

Thanks. I eat a lot of fat - mainly avocado and coconut; unfortunately dairy, olive oil, nuts, seeds break me out. I find it can be hard to find the true culprit because of the number of variables including not only diet but lifestyle.

EDIT: another thing to remember is I have recently started putting the central heating on in the evenings for a couple of hours which always makes my skin worse (along with the cold weather).

Edited by Pezerinno

Ok so yesterday I binged all day stupidly justified it by saying today I'm starting eliminating certain foods to then slowly bring them in etc anyway this morning my skin looks the best it has for ages! Unbelievable! I literally ate biscuits, chocolate, crisps, drunk coffee and beer all day! Now obviously I'm not going to eat those things because they're unhealthy but it is making me question was exactly breaks me out and I'm starting to wonder if excessive amounts of coconut does (I previously thought it was a safe fat for me).

So at this stage the only definite acne inducing foods for me are dairy, eggs, olive oil, nuts & seeds while the only definite safe zones are vegetables. Big question marks still over sugar, fruit, legumes, grains, coffee, alcohol etc

So at this stage the only definite acne inducing foods for me are dairy, eggs, olive oil, nuts & seeds while the only definite safe zones are vegetables. Big question marks still over sugar, fruit, legumes, grains, coffee, alcohol etc

You should experiment with cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil, and in-shell nuts (buy them in shell, then you shell them yourself), and see if these make you break out.

Sugar and fruits can make you break you if you eat a lot in one sitting, and eat little fat at the same time. Just start experiment with these also, so that you can see how your own body reacts wink.png

Edited by OlympusMons

You should experiment with cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil, and in-shell nuts (buy them in shell, then you shell them yourself), and see if these make you break out.

Sugar and fruits can make you break you if you eat a lot in one sitting, and eat little fat at the same time. Just start experiment with these also, so that you can see how your own body reacts wink.png

Hi OlympusMons,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I have had cold pressed EVOO but I know in shell nuts cause me to break out.