Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nando94

Generic Accutane Costs?

Hey guys,

After having pretty much all types of acne you could think of and the scars to show, and after minocycline and doxycycline (sp?) and countless OTC products didn't work/stopped working I finally decided to ask my doc if I could get on the tane. I went in on the 11th and had the blood work done on the 14th, went back today to get my 30 day prescription. I stopped at my local Walgreens only to find out that for a 30 day supply it'd come out to $600! I asked the pharmacist if there was a generic brand I could get and she said I was prescribed the generic accutane and that my insurance only covered a small fraction, 80 dollars of it. However 600 bucks is far beyond my parents budget (i'm only 17)

The thing is.. I thought there were 4 brands of the same drug, all with the same active ingredient (isotretinoin sp?) amnesteem, claravis, accutane and sotret, right? So I called my derm's office back and asked if there was a different generic brand I could be prescribed, they called me back and said "isotretinoin is the generic brand"

My question is.. are any of the different brands typically cheaper? And how is it that they can't prescribe me a different generic brand?

I'd really like to get my acne treated and I feel accutane is the best way for me to go as I've had acne since my early teens and as stated earlier I am now 17 and I'd like to finish my senior year with a clear face!

I just started Accutane 4 days ago and my parents had to get the drug for me because I'm also under 18. I think the brand I'm on is claravis and my mother told me she only had to pay $15 for a month i believe, not sure how much insurance covered though.

Hey guys,

After having pretty much all types of acne you could think of and the scars to show, and after minocycline and doxycycline (sp?) and countless OTC products didn't work/stopped working I finally decided to ask my doc if I could get on the tane. I went in on the 11th and had the blood work done on the 14th, went back today to get my 30 day prescription. I stopped at my local Walgreens only to find out that for a 30 day supply it'd come out to $600! I asked the pharmacist if there was a generic brand I could get and she said I was prescribed the generic accutane and that my insurance only covered a small fraction, 80 dollars of it. However 600 bucks is far beyond my parents budget (i'm only 17)

The thing is.. I thought there were 4 brands of the same drug, all with the same active ingredient (isotretinoin sp?) amnesteem, claravis, accutane and sotret, right? So I called my derm's office back and asked if there was a different generic brand I could be prescribed, they called me back and said "isotretinoin is the generic brand"

My question is.. are any of the different brands typically cheaper? And how is it that they can't prescribe me a different generic brand?

I'd really like to get my acne treated and I feel accutane is the best way for me to go as I've had acne since my early teens and as stated earlier I am now 17 and I'd like to finish my senior year with a clear face!

I just started Accutane 4 days ago and my parents had to get the drug for me because I'm also under 18. I think the brand I'm on is claravis and my mother told me she only had to pay $15 for a month i believe, not sure how much insurance covered though.

Health insurance comes in many different forms. The health care i have is the high deductible type in which i pay less on my health insurance per paycheck, but i have to pay full price for Dr visits/prescriptions until i hit my deductible. This is beneficial for people that dont go to the Dr often. I assume your parents have this (1st poster). I just went to the pharmacy to get my first supply of my second round which came out to a cool $307. This was for Amnesteem 40mg.

Second poster's parents have an insurance plan in which they pay a higher amount on each pay check, but then they have a set co-pay ($15 in this case) for every Dr visit/prescription.

Also, Isotretinoin is the active ingredient in accutane and same in the generic brands. The only difference between all the generics is which pharmaceutical manufacturer it originates from.