Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmb41

When To Begin To Increase Bp

I started the regimen 6 days ago, tomorrow will be a week.

When exactly should I increase my BP usage from the beginning amount? I was thinking of increasing to a 1/2 a finger length tomorrow, but I am unsure, and do not want to cause unnecessary irritation.

Thanks.

Hey Alex, we are around a similar point in the Regimen. Today is Day 10/11 for me. Regarding increasing, I was also really, really scared because I had a horrible reaction to the BP the first three days. However, around Day 8, I did a test where I went from a blob on the top of my finger to quite a thick line along the whole 1/3 (what is probably equal to the top third of a finger and a quarter using the picture on Dan's instructions -- I use Panoxyl 2.5 so I'm referring to the 'tube' photos) and thankfully my skin is coping fine! I don't get any reaction with just the BP, and the moisturiser just creates quite a strong "fresh" feeling. It all went so well that I nearly considered putting BP on this morning! I think I'm going to wait until the end of this week and then try that, but tomorrow I plan to make sure I'm at the 1 1/2 'segment'. Next week I plan to be around the 1 3/4 mark, as well as putting it on in the morning.

I think the biggest thing is to NOT RUSH. A lot of people post about their experiences because they were too excited and went too fast with the BP, and had to backpedal massively. Your skin will tell you when it is the right time to increase your dosage. How are you finding the amount you use at present? If you are coping with the 1 segment with no adverse side-effects, perhaps try increasing to 1 1/2 segment for a day and see if that is OK. If you find that's alright, then maybe you could try that for a week. Have you started putting the BP on in the morning yet? I think the thing is to take it slowly and not be tempted to dive in too quickly. Best of luck!

Edited by SpotsAway

The last week I have been using just the top of my finger, and in the morning I increased to half a finger length. A little dryness, but nothing un bearable. I'm gonna roll with it I think. If all is well at the end of this week, I'll bump up to 1 and 1/2 and go from there.

I've been doing the regimen 2 times a day since day one, I'm only experiencing dryness around the mouth, which is combated with the moisturizer, and a slight redness. It's only been a week, so we'll see what happens.

How is it working for you so far?

I'm really pleased with the results so far. I think the most dramatic change was over Days 1-2 -- I guess my skin was so shocked at the BP! Now I think I'm going into my 'purging' phase which is great. I have some small bumps on my forehead and right hand side of my face is a bit spotty. However, even these soften and go away much more quickly then before. Overall my skin quality (texture/tone) has improved so much. A few days ago I actually got a compliment from a colleague from work (who knows about my struggles with spots) on how good my skin was looking before she even knew that I had started the Regimen! I also used to have a lot of small under skin bumps which have all completely disappeared. At present, in the mornings I only cleanse and moisturise, but from next week I will add the BP too. I think I will see even more change when I do that, but I don't want to rush because of how I reacted to the BP at the beginning!

Edited by SpotsAway

A good indication of when it's a good idea to increase the BP treatment is when symptoms such as dryness, redness, tightness is a thing of the past.

Good luck

I was one of THOSE people who started too hard too early. Big and painful mistake.... I'm up to week 6 now with better results than I could have ever imagined. Just to let you know though, in the first week my skin started clearing up really fast (before I managed to chemically burn it ) but then I had a MASSIVE breakout in the second week. My skin was worse than ever, but now that it has cleared up, my skin just keeps getting better and better each day.

Be disciplined with the regimen and you will be rewarded. I wish you both the best of luck with it.... rolleyes.gif

Thank you! I'm having similar results. Extreme clearing the first 3-4 days, and now the dryness is creeping up on me, with a small breakout. Nonetheless, I still am shocked and how well this is working! Fingers crossed.

Hi Resery, thanks so much for responding. I have had a browse through your log, and wow! I am so pleased for you! What a success story -- I really hope it only continues to get better. I am definitely going through a breakout atm...my only concern is that I am getting spots in areas where I have not previously (on the 'corner' of my skull where my jaw meets my neck, very close to my ear on my face and also behind my ear!) Is this normal? Can you advise how bad the Week 2 breakout normally is, and what to expect afterwards? I am not using BP in the mornings yet as well. Have you started using AHA yet? How are you finding it? I plan to incorporate it into my Regimen after the month mark.

Edited by SpotsAway

Where do you buy panoxyl 2.5% in stores or online?

Hey Alex, we are around a similar point in the Regimen. Today is Day 10/11 for me. Regarding increasing, I was also really, really scared because I had a horrible reaction to the BP the first three days. However, around Day 8, I did a test where I went from a blob on the top of my finger to quite a thick line along the whole 1/3 (what is probably equal to the top third of a finger and a quarter using the picture on Dan's instructions -- I use Panoxyl 2.5 so I'm referring to the 'tube' photos) and thankfully my skin is coping fine! I don't get any reaction with just the BP, and the moisturiser just creates quite a strong "fresh" feeling. It all went so well that I nearly considered putting BP on this morning! I think I'm going to wait until the end of this week and then try that, but tomorrow I plan to make sure I'm at the 1 1/2 'segment'. Next week I plan to be around the 1 3/4 mark, as well as putting it on in the morning.

I think the biggest thing is to NOT RUSH. A lot of people post about their experiences because they were too excited and went too fast with the BP, and had to backpedal massively. Your skin will tell you when it is the right time to increase your dosage. How are you finding the amount you use at present? If you are coping with the 1 segment with no adverse side-effects, perhaps try increasing to 1 1/2 segment for a day and see if that is OK. If you find that's alright, then maybe you could try that for a week. Have you started putting the BP on in the morning yet? I think the thing is to take it slowly and not be tempted to dive in too quickly. Best of luck!

My week 2 break out was awful. All the little bumps that were under my skin permanently came to the surface and I pretty much had about 30 whiteheads on my forehead. So the look of my skin was dreadful..heaps of zits, red from chemical burn and also peeling in places. When I went round to my parents for a visit my mum took one look at my face and demanded that I stop the regimen. I'm so happy that I didnt though, because my face then cleared up dramatically in time for my week three progress photos. So for me, the horror was short lived.

I'm not sure about getting spots in new areas, I didnt experience that. But I used to get the occasional spot behind my ear anyway...so painful!

And yes, I'm using AHA+ in the evenings. I started at the end of week 4 from memory and that made a huge difference to peeling skin. My skin is still very dry, but it is not peeling off, so it 'looks' ok...just doesnt feel ok.

And you read my blog? oh god, you poor thing...haha.

Hi Resery, thanks so much for responding. I have had a browse through your log, and wow! I am so pleased for you! What a success story -- I really hope it only continues to get better. I am definitely going through a breakout atm...my only concern is that I am getting spots in areas where I have not previously (on the 'corner' of my skull where my jaw meets my neck, very close to my ear on my face and also behind my ear!) Is this normal? Can you advise how bad the Week 2 breakout normally is, and what to expect afterwards? I am not using BP in the mornings yet as well. Have you started using AHA yet? How are you finding it? I plan

Where do you buy panoxyl 2.5% in stores or online?

Hi Caitlyn, it is pretty easy to find online. Just Google it and you should find plenty of pharmacy/online chemist websites that sell it. You can also buy it on eBay.

Oh my gosh -- so I started using BP x2 a day from Friday, and this morning when I woke up I honestly thought I had had an allergic reaction! My face *felt* all swollen, although it wasn't red or itchy, and I had loads of the wrinkles that other people report getting. However, as soon as I washed my face, it felt much better, but then started getting dry and wrinkly again until I put my moisturiser on. So I realised what had happened was that my face was so dry and tight that it felt like it had swollen up, but it hadn't. Phew! I was pretty worried because the BP is really getting results for me -- at the minute I have a lot of little whiteheads (I think I've had loads under my skin for ages) so the purge is going really well. Nevertheless, I'm taking a break from using the BP this morning, and will only use it in the evening today, haha! It was nice to be able to put my moisturiser on everywhere (eye area) without having to worry about it! I'm also going to buy some jojoba oil next week too.

Edited by SpotsAway

Spotsaway, I hear you my friend! That initial reaction to the increase in BP is AWFUL and so nice to wash it all off and moisturise. I had the same with all the whiteheads suddenly appearing. I had a million little lumps under the skin on my forehead that werent red etc, just lumpy and they all came to the surface as whiteheads in week two, so my skin looked AWFUL. But now my forehead is clear and I dont have bumps. Just need to keep on keeping on. We will all get there in the end....

Spotsaway, I hear you my friend! That initial reaction to the increase in BP is AWFUL and so nice to wash it all off and moisturise. I had the same with all the whiteheads suddenly appearing. I had a million little lumps under the skin on my forehead that werent red etc, just lumpy and they all came to the surface as whiteheads in week two, so my skin looked AWFUL. But now my forehead is clear and I dont have bumps. Just need to keep on keeping on. We will all get there in the end....

Agreed! surprised.gif The good news is that I don't get any more pain from BP application twice daily (I started up again in the morning today), but the bad news is that my face is uber flaky right now! Tomorrow I'm going to buy some jojoba oil and see if I can also track down a baby hair brush to exfoliate. I tried to gently rub off some flakes when I had a shower this morning and it worked temporarily, but then they came back with a vengeance as my skin was drying! The only thing that keeps them relatively at bay is my Cetaphil. How do you use your jojoba? Have you ever used it as an exfoliant like in the stickied topic? I am a little concerned about breaking myself out...

In other news, yesterday I decided to go out on a limb and as I didn't have any jojoba, try some Bio Oil. I rubbed about 5 drops into my face before I put on the BP last night. Luckily, it didn't seem to have any effect on making my spots worse (which are getting lots better -- shame my skin quality has gone downhill!) but I think it might have helped with the tightness this morning.