Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reality

My Acne Bad Enough For Accutane? Pictures Included.

I just turned 18 years old and I have had acne for about 1 and 1/2 years now. When I first got acne I rushed to the drug store and purchased a cleanser and facial scrub. I used those products for about 6 months and they didn't help at all. I stopped using products all together and decided to wash with just water. I don't pop any pimples I let them heal on their own. Now the only products I put on my face is shaving cream. I have been doing this for about 6 months now.

Please look at the picture below and tell me what you think. Should I take accutane? Do I have mild or serve acne? Will my acne just get worse over time? Creams and cleansers do not work so I won't use those again.

Click on the picture to see an enlarged version. The picture was taken under direct darkish lighting. Please do not leave with thread without leaving a reply, thank you.

Edited by reality

The skin looks irritated and dry. It sounds like you gave up really. Looks like you want to take a magic pill and not even give the regimen or any products a chance. Anyways....it looks to be minor to mild acne. Like I said, it just looks to be irritated and dry. Accutane is something you bring up with your dermatologist. Just by looking at the photos, I'd say that you wouldn't really need it. If you had cystic acne or large whiteheads and major breakout, then yeah. But as it stands, I would personally just get a light cleanser, BP and a good moisturizer and stick with it. Change your razor/shave cream. And then just be very gentle with your skin to make sure your not "popping" anything or touching the skin.

I agree your acne seems to not even be acne, just red skin. So yes try benzoyl peroxide or even salicylic acid would help also. Just try not to go over board and make your skin even more irritable as it already is. I wish my acne looked like yours and I would have no problem at all treating it, trust me you are lucky to have not to bad of acne. So any ways just follow what I suggested and Chococrit's advice as well.

The skin looks irritated and dry. It sounds like you gave up really. Looks like you want to take a magic pill and not even give the regimen or any products a chance. Anyways....it looks to be minor to mild acne. Like I said, it just looks to be irritated and dry. Accutane is something you bring up with your dermatologist. Just by looking at the photos, I'd say that you wouldn't really need it. If you had cystic acne or large whiteheads and major breakout, then yeah. But as it stands, I would personally just get a light cleanser, BP and a good moisturizer and stick with it. Change your razor/shave cream. And then just be very gentle with your skin to make sure your not "popping" anything or touching the skin.

When I do use a moisturizer I'll use one every other night at the most. This is what I have been using recently. I try to avoid the ones filled with chemicals. I did use a light cleanser but I threw it all out. I really didn't see how those products helped my skin. It just stripped away all the natural oils on my skin. I do not pop anything I let it heal on its own! So should I be moisturizing every night even if it makes my skin feels weird/greasy?

I agree your acne seems to not even be acne, just red skin. So yes try benzoyl peroxide or even salicylic acid would help also. Just try not to go over board and make your skin even more irritable as it already is. I wish my acne looked like yours and I would have no problem at all treating it, trust me you are lucky to have not to bad of acne. So any ways just follow what I suggested and Chococrit's advice as well.

I think benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid would just make my skin more dry, dontcha think? And believe me I have acne not sure why you think I don't. I get pimples, whiteheads, bumps, and all that fun stuff.

Edited by reality

Your acne doesn't look "bad" enough for accutane to me, especially as you don't really seem to have many cystic bumps or nodules or anything like that, just scattered comedones here and here plus a lot of redness. I would probably suggest antibiotics, though I know people have had mixed experience with those. (They work for me, though not very well, though I don't take them because the side effects are really severe.)

Your acne doesn't look "bad" enough for accutane to me, especially as you don't really seem to have many cystic bumps or nodules or anything like that, just scattered comedones here and here plus a lot of redness. I would probably suggest antibiotics, though I know people have had mixed experience with those. (They work for me, though not very well, though I don't take them because the side effects are really severe.)

Antibiotics are for the people with severe not someone with dry skin like me...? Do you have skin like mine is that why your suggesting antibiotics?

My skin isn't like yours - it's worse. But back when it was better (better than yours looks in this picture, at least - I had the bumps but not really any redness), my doctor prescribed antibiotics for me and they cleared that acne away within a few days. I also have dry skin, for the record.

My skin isn't like yours - it's worse. But back when it was better (better than yours looks in this picture, at least - I had the bumps but not really any redness), my doctor prescribed antibiotics for me and they cleared that acne away within a few days. I also have dry skin, for the record.

I'm not going to touch the antibiotics. I think I'm going to purchase CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion and hopefully that should help my redness.

On the other note, does anyone know when I should me moisturizing? I thinking at night after I wash my face with water.

Moisturizer...TWICE a day.

For the most part you want to cleanse, treat then moisturize. A lot of people think that their skin is just fine without it. They think that if they add moisture it will make the skin more oily. The truth is that your skin needs the moisture. When the skin is too dry it will over produce oil as a natural self defense. This over production is what helps in causing clogged pores and in time the acne. The key is to find a moisturizer that works for your skin type. You don't want a product that makes you feel uncomfortable. So read up on the ingredients and use the check list that this sight provides to help direct you in the right direction. When I personally pick a product I make sure that it is for my skin type (oily) and then I like to test it. While I'm shopping I'll take a little bit and gently rub it on my neck. This helps me to see if it will feel good and be moisturizing enough. (Make sure it's a store that has samples out, not telling you to open sealed products here. lol)

Give that a test and see how it works for you.

p.s...BP and most treatments will dry the skin. It's what they are made to do. They will dry the surface of the skin and "peel" it. What it's doing is getting rid of old "bad" skin cells and helping to renew new cell growth (in theory). So expect it to get worse before it gets better. In the end I'm not a doctor, so make sure you talk with one if you have questions about products or anything dealing with your skin.

Are you seriou sly SERIOUS? Your little pimples are just mild breakouts. Right diet and regiment will solve it. Duh...

Yes well what I meant was small amounts of benzoyl peroxide, 2.5%, and salicylic acid, 0.5 or 1%. Not big amounts just choose a product that contains a moisturizing ingredient like glycerin. Also moisturize that is what you should always do for dry skin and not use harsh, drying products. I understand that to you your acne is terrible but just keep in mind that you can pull though it. So just follow the good advice we are giving you, I know this can be stressful. I've had acne for over four years now and at the young age of ten the break-outs started (I'm sure I'm not the only one). So don't think it's that bad. Hope I helped!