Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The AHA/BHA regime

This is the regime I have been using with great success for the past year or so. It is essentially based on Dan’s regime except is substitutes an AHA/BHA serum for Benzoyl Peroxide. The combination of salicylic acid (BHA) and glycolic acid (AHA) is an extremely powerful combination. The AHA/BHA is just as effective as BP, easier and quicker to apply, and a lot less drying. It would be an ideal regime for those who are allergic to BP, find it too drying, or simply want a faster and easier alternative to BP.

1. Cleanse. Use a gentle, non-drying cleanser. I use Clean and Clear truly gentle face wash, but any of the products which Dan recommends should be fine.

1. Treat. You want an AHA/BHA combination product at 2% BHA and 10% AHA. Products with a lower percentage are usually less effective. The only product that I am aware of which provides this at the moment is Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clearing Gel. It’s an extremely high quality product which unfortunately is very expensive, around £36 - £40 per 57ml bottle. I would love to find a cheaper alternative, but so far I have not been successful.

1. Moisturise. Leave for a 5 minuites or so to allow the serum to dry. Again, any of the gentle, non-comeogenic moisturisers which Dan recommends should be fine. I use Neutrogena oil-free moisturiser; you may find that you can use a lighter moisturiser than you did if you’ve used BP in the past.

So that’s it. Full credit to Dan for developing the basics of the regime; but I think it can be successfully adapted to incorporate the AHA/BHA alternative. Any questions let me know.