Notifications
Clear all

My Spiro Log

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/16/2011 4:41 pm

Hi, I am Amy, 20 years old. I've been suffering from hormonal cystic acne since 18.Let me introduce my acne history a little bit. Back in high school I never experienced breakouts. My face was clear,or I might get some litttle pimples here and there. BUt I was eating VERY unhealthy, pizza and soda almost every day, cakes and ice cream 3-4 times a week, I was using thick layers of foundation ( didn't have anything to cover tho, just makeup fun) and would not wash it off before bed. So I guess I played a huge role in acne forming issue. Plus genetic factos ( my dad has cystic acne too). At 18 my acne got worse. It was horrible. Breakouts were all over my cheeks and forehead. It was so ugly and embarrassing. About psychological problems I don't even talk. I was covering them with more makeup, I knew it's not good, but I just could not go out like that. I was picking them too, which caused some shallow, but permanent scars on my cheeks. This disaster kept going untill I finally made an appointment with my dermotologist ( before that I was too embarrassed to show my skin even to a doctor). Before that I made a huge mistake tho, I went to some silly beauty salon and they suggested me a deep facial, which aggravated my acne even more. My derm. started the treating with antibiotics in order to remove those angry,inflamed, large and painful cysts. He removes all whiteheads every month and does a chemical peel. Then I changed my diet. I completely removed all junk food ( and lost nearly 15 pounds). I stopped picking my face either. I saw improvements, but I was still getting breakouts. Then I completely stopped using any facial makeup. It helped even more. Everybody noticed the improvements on my face. I was dying to get Accutane, but my derm. refused to prescribe it becoz of the side effects.

Last summer my derm put me on Spiro( 50 mg). It messed with my period at first, but it lasted for 1 cycle, my body was adjusting to new hormones I guess. My cycle has been regular since that.

My acne is 100% hormonal, because I always get breakouts right before my period. During the whole month I eat healthy, I follow Dan's regimen. It works nicely, but the week before THOSE DAYS, my skin goes crazy.

Here is my log! Started Spiro on July 21th

July 2011

Spiro 50 mg Doxy 100mg

BP wash and BP 5% cream topical

I got 2-3 big cysts on my lower cheeks right before my period. But my face was pretty clear forthe rest of the month.

August 2011

Spiro 50 mg Doxy 100mg

BP Wash and BP 5 % cream topical

I got smaller mid cycle cysts and one huge one before my period. Face was clear for the rest of the month.

September 2011

Spiro 50 mg

BP wash and BP 5% topial cream

I got couple of new whiteheads on my left cheek. They turned into little cysts right before my period. At the end of the month face was smooth and clear.

October 2011

Spiro 50mg

BP gel, Retin-A, PanOxyl soap

I have not gotten mid cycle breakouts this month, and very small pimple right before my period. No big cysts like before. I have some whiteheads on both cheeks tho. My face has been pretty much clear these last 20 days.

How much damage did the acne do to my life.

1. I guess the biggest damage was my self-esteem and confidence (psychologial affects). I lost them immediately. I got too many insecurities and anxities, all about the way I look. I've never been so shallow to myself in my entire life. Acne ruined the 2 years of my life ( it will probably take more). Now I'm focused only on my physical look.

2. I lost 10-12lbs becoz of the strict diets. Now I'm underweight and it's pretty scary actually. I lost my curves ( i was kinda proud of them), now I'm flat. Acne made me paranoid about the food I consume.

3. I have to take tons of meds in order to keep this skin disease under the control. I depend on meds.

4. My routine is odd, and it seems like I cannot live with a guy with this routine ( like, don't kiss me while my BP is drying), and it's pretty embarrassing to have a sleepover. Actually, ever since I got acne, I've never enjoyed any social event. I lost my friends, it's harder to make new ones, nothing new in my personal life either. So Acne Also Makes me antisocial.

5. I'm probably damaging my body with all of those meds I take, but I just can't take it anymore, I want to look normal. Feel safe in my own skin.

6. I have to spend a lot of money on my derm, meds, other acne topcials and organic food.

MemberMember
(@kmichele)

Posted : 10/16/2011 8:36 pm

Good luck! My derm has me on a multi-med approach as well. I hope it works out well for you.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/16/2011 10:12 pm

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/20/2011 11:33 am

October 20th

From today I am gonna take 75 mg Spiro daily. It's been 3 months, since I've started Spiro treatment. Hopefully it will work and will get better and better.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/30/2011 4:20 pm

October 30th

I got 1-2 mid cycle breakouts yesterday. They are not big, but I'm afraid they will turn to cystic again. I've been stressted out reecntly due to some mid terms and exams, so I guess it led me to new pimples. My face was clearing up, but I got these 2 red spot and I feel kinda despair.

10 days ago I started taking 75mg of Spiro, mayeb that's why I got these spots? Has anyone experienced IB with new dose?

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/01/2011 1:04 am

So I decided to update my log weekly,instead of updatin' it only montly. I will update every Sunday.

October 30th

This week my skin has been doin' well, It was clear and smooth up untill last Friday, when I got those stupid cysts. But one of them is dried out now, so back to clear face smile.png. And I got new face washes this week,in order to change them time after time,so my skin will not "get use" to them. I got this stuf:

1. PanOxyl Foaming wash

2. PanOxyl Creamy wash

3. Purpose soap bar

I haven't used any facial makeup whasoever. I did eat some "evil food" tho ( chocolate and gigantic piece of tiramisu). And I was stressed a lot about my exams and stuff. I'm still taking Spiro 75mg (crossing my fingers)and I hope things will get better again.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/05/2011 3:25 pm

November 5th

Okay, just a quick update for this week. I went to my derm appointment last Wednesday, he removed couple of whiteheads and I got another chemical peel. I'm still on 75mg Spironolactone along with retin-A and BP 5% acne gel. Those cysts have almost gone, I'm dealing with scars tho. Other than that my skin feels smooth and clear so far. I've been reading about Spiro reviews and I found that each time we increase the dose we experience some sort of breakouts. I thought it's happenning only with me. I'll wait for one more month to see if my new breakout was due to incresing my dose, I'll let my body to adjust to new amount of hormones.

*Crossing my fingers eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@gems2889)

Posted : 11/05/2011 4:53 pm

I have a quick question when they started you on spiro what dosage did they give you? also I have been getting a lot of white heads because I am using retina a micro and Its purging my skin due to clogged pores. I usually remove them my self which has left some dents. does your dermatoligst charge you to remove them? my insurance cover everything except cosmetics procedures. I am pretty sure my acne is hormonal/ cosmetics/ stress induced I use cake on mac for no apparent reason because my skin was super clear. I try not to wear any make up but its so embarrassing walk around with red marks puss filled pimples :(. its getting better but I have notice that around my period I break out again after having a good week.my derm suggested to start antibiotics if I don't see any improvements. I am kinda of scared because I have never taken anything oral for my acne. I am also taking b-complex,zinc and vitamin d3. Any advice well be appreciated thanks :)

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/05/2011 5:31 pm

I started Spiro on 25mg. I was on that low dose for a month, it did nothing, then my derm put me on 50mg, my skin got better and better, and now I am on 75mg.

My derm DOES charge me for chemical peel and whiteheads removal ( he does it perfectly good, I have no scars left).

I also use retin-A micro, but it doesn't seem to help with my acne, I like BP better.

MemberMember
(@lja08)

Posted : 11/08/2011 10:54 am

ive been on spiro 50mg/day for about 20 days, and i'm a week away from my period and it seems ive had a small breakout. i was pretty much completely clear for the past 20 days and now i have a few actives on my face...which sucks.

did you experience the same thing as me? i'm wondering if its because my period is coming or if i need a higher dosage of spiro? when did you stop breaking out before your period?

frustrating to have clear skin for 3 weeks and then not...ugh.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/08/2011 10:49 pm

ive been on spiro 50mg/day for about 20 days, and i'm a week away from my period and it seems ive had a small breakout. i was pretty much completely clear for the past 20 days and now i have a few actives on my face...which sucks.

did you experience the same thing as me? i'm wondering if its because my period is coming or if i need a higher dosage of spiro? when did you stop breaking out before your period?

20 days is a short time to be clear. I still get little breakouts before those days, but they are much better. Give it at least 3 months, then up your dose if you still get bad breakoutd. It's worth it. And check out this http://www.acne.org/...spironolactone/ . VERY informative thread, u'll find so much interesting things about spiro. And 50mg is a pretty low dose actually. Some women see the full results only on 100 or higher.

MemberMember
(@lja08)

Posted : 11/09/2011 10:17 am

20 days is a short time to be clear. I still get little breakouts before those days, but they are much better. Give it at least 3 months, then up your dose if you still get bad breakoutd. It's worth it. And check out this http://www.acne.org/...spironolactone/ . VERY informative thread, u'll find so much interesting things about spiro. And 50mg is a pretty low dose actually. Some women see the full results only on 100 or higher.

20 days felt great to me...its not what i'm used to in the past, but i'll take it.

how long has your skin been clear for on spiro without any breakouts at all? months?

its not a terrible breakout, just frustrating...i know it takes awhile to really work, so i have to give it some time- i just saw almost immediate results, so i guess i got a little ahead of myself. i have another month before i go in for a derm appt, so we'll see how i continue to do. the breakout is clearing, which is good, but i still wish it didnt happen.

thanks for the info!

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/09/2011 5:06 pm

My skin has been clear for 2 months. But not like 'no breakouts' at all. Like I said, I still get some breakouts ( but not cystic) before my period. Your're lucky to see results just in 20 days and on 50mg, perhaps your acne is not severe cystic acne like mine.

All I can say, is stick with this medication, it really works, for many acne sufferers it's a miracle drug. Watch your potassium levels tho, and your entire diet actually. And this, each time you increase your dose, you may experience new breakouts, don't panic, keep taking the pills untill your body will adjust to new dosage.

And it's really good idea to stop wearing makeup. I've been walking bareface since August. Less clogged pores, no worries about caky face and horrible look under different lighting.

Good Luck! :)

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/12/2011 4:13 pm

November 12th

Just wanted to give a quick update. During last week my skin was doin' good. No new breakouts, no redness,less whiteheads, not even flakey look. I'm still dealing with those red marks tho. But overall skin looks nice.

I changed my diet again, I added loads of veggies and fruits in my everyday diet. I wash my face 2-3 tmes a day, no makeup. I'm on 75mg Spiro( almost 4 months) and BP5% topical gel.

But I guess the new dose(50mg->75mg) has messed with my period again and it caused an IB last week.

Just a side note: I've watched this video . Actually it really inspired me. But what she says it that we can't be on a medications for the rest of our lives. And the thought of gettin' off of Spiro, and that the acne will come back, just pisses me off. It worked for her, and it obviously works for loads of women, but like other drugs on the market, it doesn't heal acne, it just manages it. Ugh..kinda frustrating, but I'll be talking the Spiro for a year at least, along with improving my diet and lifestyle, and I hope that eventually we'll grow out of this stupid skin disease.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/19/2011 3:00 pm

November 19th

Here is the update for this week. My skin is still clear and smooth. eusa_dance.gif No new breakouts or redness. It's lil bit dry tho ( maybe I overwashed it). I'm on the same dose of Spiro. I have 4-5 tiny whiteheads, that I'll get reomved soon. Other than that my skin has been doin' very well.

Oh, and I got a pimple on my back, first time ever.

MemberMember
(@ilivelaughlove)

Posted : 11/19/2011 8:57 pm

the video you posted has seriously got me to be patient on a 50mg dose of spiro im going into my 4th month and iv almost called my derm to up me to 75 but after watching this im gonna wait it out lol it really sucks being patient but my acne wasnt as severe as hers so im hoping to get those same results within a year too. just gotta wait it out!!!!!

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/25/2011 10:13 pm

November 25th

Update of the week! It's been 4 months with Spiro. My skin's been clear during this whole week. It's far from perfect, but I got no cysts right before my period ( like I used to). And yeah, my cycle has got normal again. I'm having my appointment with my derm next week. I still have some tiny whiteheads and red marks (they're fading away). But overall I'm kinda happy with Spiro and my skin. Could be better, but I still hope for better results. :)

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/03/2011 12:04 am

December 2th

Update of the week! I went to my dermotologist appointment last Wed, I got another chemical peel, but no facial this time. I'm still on my 75mg Spiro(4th month) and my skin is still doing well. I got 2 whiteheads on my chin tho ( weird, I never break out on my chin). Skin is getting better on my body too ( I don't have body acne, but I used to get some pimples on my back).

I completely changed my diet. I hope it will make some difference too.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/09/2011 4:20 pm

December 9th

Quick update for the week. I'm delighted to admit that my skin was clear for the whole week. Nothing new so far ( knocking on the wood). I'm taking 75mg Spiro. I wash my face 3 times with PanOxyl soap bar, foaming face wash and Purpose oilfree gentle cleanser. I changed my diet ( no sugar, no dairy, no proccessed or fried food, no sweets). And I try to reduce stress ( exams are over). I'm just concerned about being addicted to Spiro. I'd like to find a way to maintain clear skin ( or manage acne) without oral medications. Holistic pple made me believe in a power of diet, but I still don't think that diet alone would cure my acne. I've never broken out the next day after eating something, but I choose to be on a safe side. And I have no food allergies ( I did an allergy test). My acne has always been a hormonal issue. I get pimples in a certain time of the month, no matter what I eat or drink. It would be a miracle, if I grew out of my acne someday ( like my Dad).

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:29 am

December 16th

Ok, so my skin has been doin' pretty good this week. I got 1 shallow pimple tho, and my face is kinda red. It's probably due to harsh chemicals I use on my face. I'm still doing my own research about healthy diet, diet and acne relation and eating as healthy as possible. I'm still on 75mg Spiro, I wish I could up the dose, but I'm kinda scared of IB. Next week I have an appointment with my derm, I hope I will be pretty for Christmas.

MemberMember
(@eastie)

Posted : 12/19/2011 10:40 am

how do you take this spiro daily?one pill daily or two pills of 25mg to make a sum of 50 mg?Doctors heree only want to put me on Dianette,which can be a cause of thrombosis,that runs in my family.So Id rather have Spiro but docs have no idea how to dose it,because they dont use it.So i will be curing myself!

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/19/2011 11:34 pm

how do you take this spiro daily?one pill daily or two pills of 25mg to make a sum of 50 mg?Doctors heree only want to put me on Dianette,which can be a cause of thrombosis,that runs in my family.So Id rather have Spiro but docs have no idea how to dose it,because they dont use it.So i will be curing myself!

I take 1.5 pill every morning ( 75mg). I would not suggest u to 'cure urself'. Everybody's acne is different, so maybe u don't need Spiro. If ur acne is hormonal, then yeah, maybe it will help you, but u never know. BCps are not my fave either, I would keep myself away from them. There is only 25mg of Spiro in Yasmin BC. I don't know about Dianette tho. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@natashagirl)

Posted : 12/21/2011 12:08 am

Amy91, are you gonna stay on 75mg or u might up your dose?

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/23/2011 4:57 pm

Amy91, are you gonna stay on 75mg or u might up your dose?

I guess yeah, I'd like to try 100mg tho, but my derm doesn't want me to be on 100mg.

December 23th

I had my appointment last Wed, no facial again, I got another chemical peel. My derm wants me to stay on Spiro for a year at least. It's been 5 months, since I've been taking Spiro 75mg. My skin has been doin' pretty good during last week, I still have random whiteheads, red marks and superficial scars tho. And my face is not not perfect.

I'm still trying new things in my diet ( such as gluten freem diary free). But I also try to gain some weight. I substitute dairy milk with coconut milk and it's absolutely delicious. I also make homemade pita pizzas. Still doing my research about diet anc acne, trying to find the truth.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 12/30/2011 8:19 pm

December 30th

5 months with Spiro and my skin has been doing pretty good. This week I had 2-3 tiny pimples around my mouth ( probably due to PMS), they went away immdetiately. I decided to exfoliate my skin once a week, with baking soda. I also eat very healthy ( even tho it's very hard with my family and friends). But I think 60% of improvment comes from Spiro and topical creams. I have pretty bad scarring on my cheeks, but other than that my skin is clear.