Notifications
Clear all

Good Foundation For Acne/acne Prone Skin?

MemberMember
(@officialdeletedaccount)

Posted : 10/16/2011 1:12 pm

Hello,

I have acne and acne scars, and I am looking for a good foundation that will not only cover them up flawlessly, but also not make the problem worse. I believe I have combination skin because in some spots it seems like my makeup just runs right off, but in others it can appear ruddy and dry. Also, I am on a dermatologist skincare routine for my acne and scars so that alone will soon probably dry me out. I am willing to pay, at the most, probably $25 dollars a foundation because I'm still on kind of a budget. I am looking for either a amazing drugstore or department store foundation, and, just to let you know, I have never tried any foundation from the department store.

Thank you, I've been on the search for a good foundation for a long time, and I hope I can finally find some suggestions!

God Bless You All <3

~Alyssa

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 10/17/2011 9:02 am

Many people on chat have mentioned Almay Products with great success. Almay can be found in most any chain drugstore. Apart from using a liquid foundation you could also try using a Mineral Makeup. Their are many, many, affordable Mineral Makeups that offer a wide range of color choices and also correctors/concealers in mineral makeup formulation. I chose after many years of using a liquid and stick concealer to go the mineral makeup route. I based my choice mostly on the limited amount of ingredients in mineral formulation. The least ingredients the better for my acne prone and sensitive skin. I was skeptical that a powder would cover and correct as well as heavy foundation. It truly is hit or miss with any makeup. Everyone's skin is different as well as what coverage you prefer. I was impressed with the mineral makeup coverage and the weightless feel on my skin. I only had intentions of using it for a short period of time until my skin issues had cleared up. It has been over 7 years and I am still wearing minerals. Why fix it if it isn't broke?

Again, mineral makeup formulations based on the companies that make them will be different as well. Some add fillers and shine which can be a source of reactions for some skin. I started with Bare Minerals and switched only due to the $$cost and Bismuth added to their original formula. I also tried Merle Norman. No reaction but again the cost$$ and color selection was less than stellar. I came upon Hello Minerals a few years back and have been using it everyday with positive results. The cost is about the same if not less than most major drugstore brands and way less expensive than department.

I also have combo skin. Mostly more dry than oily-exception my T-zone. Even then I would say it more dry than most. I do use a moisturizer prior to application but I did that as well with most liquid foundations.

If you have a chance you can also look up brands and reviews. They give great insight on makeup choices for sensitive and or acne prone skin. Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@emnms)

Posted : 10/25/2011 2:14 pm

Have you tried BB creams before?

MemberMember
(@cherryx)

Posted : 10/28/2011 7:54 pm

I started using MAC. So far so good, it feels amazing on the skin. Though the color I got looks to dark/yellow on me (so I mixed it with a lighter makeup). Need to go exchange probably

It's called MAC Studio Fix Fluid (I mix with L'Oreal) and MAC Studio Finish concealer.

MemberMember
(@danipaskor)

Posted : 10/28/2011 9:18 pm

I started using MAC. So far so good, it feels amazing on the skin. Though the color I got looks to dark/yellow on me (so I mixed it with a lighter makeup). Need to go exchange probably

It's called MAC Studio Fix Fluid (I mix with L'Oreal) and MAC Studio Finish concealer.

My skin FREAKED out on MAC, and I have heard this from a lot of others as well... http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/187391-mac-foundation/

I don't know, for me it felt so thick- like stage or photoshoot makeup...

But it did give amazing coverage

Glad it works for you though, Cherryx!

I use Clinique (the one for acne with sacylic acid) and overall I am pretty happy with it

I have heard great things on here about Este Lauder Double Wear foundation.

When my Clinique runs out I definitely want to try it!

MemberMember
(@cherryx)

Posted : 10/28/2011 10:35 pm

I have tried Clinique with salicylic acid. The lady at the mall did my makeup. It was really lightweight and fresh but the coverage was minimal, I l looked in the mirror and my face looked painted, like I could tell I had strokes of makeup on and you could see some spots through. I don't think my boyfriend even noticed the difference.

MemberMember
(@michelle-ly)

Posted : 10/29/2011 9:30 am

Have you tried BB creams before?

BB cream stands for Blemish Balm cream it is absolutely amazing, it works wonder for your skin. It whitens your scars, and also improves your skin, and covers your spots and its not as thick as foundation. The only dilemna is that its made in Asia so its quite difficult to find it your local shops [i bought mine on ebay]. Garnier came out with a BB cream but i think thats only in Australia and plus apparently its not that good. Goodluck/

MemberMember
(@luckycat)

Posted : 10/29/2011 4:09 pm

I am very sensitive to chemical sunscreens so most BB creams wreak havoc on my skin, but I can seem to tolerate a couple of them well enough. Dr. Jart is really nice. I LOVE the dew drop formula because it is so hydrating and soothing. BRTC Jasmine Water is also a great formula and it imparts a lovely, dewy flawless finish. However, I find that if my skin is dry none of these products work and I wind up getting cysts in weird places like my nose. A number of folks rave about Lioele Triple the Solution, but I only found it....meh. And it is heavily fragranced. Also, I don't feel that any of the BB creams are easily removed with simple washing and that concerns me. Mineral makeup is HG for a lot of acne prone individuals, but it is sooooo terrible for me. The only foundation that I can use without issue is NARS Sheer Glow. Unscented, natural finish, works best if applied with a damp sponge.

MemberMember
(@danipaskor)

Posted : 10/30/2011 7:33 am

I have tried Clinique with salicylic acid. The lady at the mall did my makeup. It was really lightweight and fresh but the coverage was minimal, I l looked in the mirror and my face looked painted, like I could tell I had strokes of makeup on and you could see some spots through. I don't think my boyfriend even noticed the difference.

Yeah, I agree- The coverage is minimal

I guess for me it was either choose the light weight with some coverage or the heavier formula with maximum coverage.

(And I obviously went with option A)

Still searching for the best foundation out there! :)

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 11/03/2011 2:29 am

For department stores, I like Origins. I've heard good things about Sephora's Makeup Forever HD foundation, but I haven't tried it.

For drugstore, I second Almay as pretty good.

I like mineral makeup best though, and for department store brands I like Bare Minerals but ONLY the matte formula.

Online, Lumiere Cosmetics is my new fave makeup. I got samples from them for just the price of shipping (around $5), and then I ordered a full foundation for $12; can't complain about those prices....

MemberMember
(@reclusivefeline)

Posted : 11/03/2011 2:52 am

I've recently started using Kett hydro foundation. It's the only thing I've found that doesn't aggravate my already sensitive skin. It's pretty long wearing and it doesn't feel heavy at all. Added plus is you can build the coverage up quite well.

MemberMember
(@mm97)

Posted : 11/04/2011 7:08 pm

I use Make Up For Ever HD foundation which can give full coverage and hasn't irritated my skin or made things worse, but it's kind of expensive. I have heard that Revlon ColorStay is similar although I haven't tried it personally.

MemberMember
(@leighbrack2)

Posted : 11/05/2011 12:27 pm

You would do best with mineral makeup. Mineral makeup in general does not contain the laundry list of chemicals and fillers that are in most cosmetics. Mineral makeup also does not contain water so it does not need to have additional preservatives like liquid cosmetics do. Brands like Almay, Maybelline pretty much any mainstream drugstore or dept store brand are loaded with chemicals, fillers and synthetic ingredients that are known to harm the skin and although they may not outright cause obvious new breakouts, they may keep your skin from clearing as it could if you took the chemicals and fillers out of the mix. I personally experienced horrible acne for years while using mainstream products, always switching from one brand to another trying to cover my acne and hoping it wouldn't make my skin worse than it was. I tried Bare essentials and it was pretty decent, but I didn't experience the clearing I have now until I stopped use of all harsh cleansers/topical treatments, cleaned up my diet and started using natural brands. I have been using Faerie Organic's Minerals for about 3 years now and I have not had any issues with breakouts due to the lack of harmful ingredients and it does cover very well (they have sample kits so you can try it first so it is pretty economical). I also know some people here who used meow but I haven't tried it so I can't give my opinion on how good they are. But Mineral makeup for the most part would be the best choice. They can be very different from each other and many of them contain bismuth oxychloride which causes breakouts in a pretty large group of people so it is best to find a pure brand. The best advice I could give you is READ YOUR LABELS! If you see dimethicone/silicone (any cones), mineral oils, paraffin, petrol based ingredients, parabens, or propylene glycol, I would not use the product. These are all ingredients that have a high breakout rating and are simply not good for the skin anyway. You could also make a great gentle cleanser at home using........ 1tbl of honey (honey is antibacterial), 1tbl of water and kaolin clay (or flour if you do not have clay). This cleanses the face and yet is very gentle. You can follow with a toner made of 3tbl apple cider vinegar and 1/3 cup water. The toner would help balance your skin. The other thing is diet. Many people do not seem to understand acne is often directly linked to your diet. Skin disruptions of any kind (eczema, psoriasis, acne, rosacea) are all your body's warning signs that something is not right internally. Your skin is your largest organ and therefore an important one for detoxing from internal toxins. Whatever is not processed out your kidneys will surface out your skin. Most people who have major breakouts have allergies to wheat or dairy and do not even know it. Removing gluten from your diet, going temporarily dairy free and sugar free can show major improvements. You may have a detox period for about a week when starting a cleansing diet but this would be normal. Dermatologist really do not focus on the cause of acne, they try to treat the symptoms.. Most people with acne have some sort of digestive imbalance. If you have had antibiotics at some point in your life or if you were on birth control, our standard american diet (high in processed foods) you most likely have some sort of imbalance in your digestive tract. The good bacteria in your digestive tract keeps the (bad bacteria/yeasts etc) in check. When we use antibiotics etc it kills off all the bacteria (good and bad) allowing the bad bacteria to take over. When this occurs you may have an onslaught of issues such as acne, hormonal issues, stomach issues, skin issues, mood issues etc etc. It is important to treat the actual issue and not just try to spot treat so you can actually heal your acne long term.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 11/05/2011 1:53 pm

Mary Kay medium coverage foundation is awesome for me because it never breaks me out and requires minimal concealer on top of it! And it stays on really well. I also like Make Up Forever HD. I use Smashbox Halo Powder to set both of these.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 11/05/2011 5:55 pm

Hello,

I have acne and acne scars, and I am looking for a good foundation that will not only cover them up flawlessly, but also not make the problem worse. I believe I have combination skin because in some spots it seems like my makeup just runs right off, but in others it can appear ruddy and dry. Also, I am on a dermatologist skincare routine for my acne and scars so that alone will soon probably dry me out. I am willing to pay, at the most, probably $25 dollars a foundation because I'm still on kind of a budget. I am looking for either a amazing drugstore or department store foundation, and, just to let you know, I have never tried any foundation from the department store.

Thank you, I've been on the search for a good foundation for a long time, and I hope I can finally find some suggestions!

God Bless You All <3

~Alyssa

I'm encouraging you to stop wearing makeup and wait for ur skin reactions.

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 11/06/2011 5:17 pm

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet color 30

They sell it at Sephora. It's about 30 bucks, which is expensive, but at least if you buy something at Sephora and change your mind, you can return it with no questions asked and get a full refund with a receipt. They also have bottles you can spot test if you want. My biggest pet peeve is makeup that doesn't match my skin color, and this is the only color I've found that matches mine. It also lasts a long time.

MemberMember
(@starrynight07)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:48 pm

I use Almay TLC (Truly Lasting Color) liquid foundation. It gives beautiful medium coverage and is the only foundation that doesn't break me out! Believe me, I've tried them all - from cheap Revlon Colorstay to expensive Estee Lauder Double Wear, and everything in between! I would also recommend using a foundation primer such as Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15.

The Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation is very full coverage, so that's something you can try as well. That stuff is amazing, but unfortunately it breaks me out every time I use it. Everyone's skin is different though, so it's worth checking out if you are looking for something that gives more coverage. This foundation can be found at Sephora. The sales associates there are really generous about giving samples.

Good luck and let us know which foundation you are trying!

MemberMember
(@acneisnobueno)

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:43 pm

I use almay's blemish control. As for helping my skin im unsure but for coverage its amazing. Its non comedogenic and super cheap I got mine for 6 bucks.