Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TIBBY

Do Cortisone Shots Cause Scars?

How common is it for a cortisone shot to cause a scar/indentation?

I'm thinking about getting one on a medium sized cyst but wont do it if it will only cause a scar.

i never had a scar from a cortisone shot. i will get one if i dont get the shot though. i have probably had about 30 shots and only indent that only lasted for 2 weeks so not too bad

Thanks for the info! I will have to remember that!

The ones I have now have finally started to flatten and crust up on their own..

Unless the shot also helps speed up the healing process....

you are very welcome!! if your cysts are flattened out now then they wouldnt give you a shot at this point. the best time to get them so they dont scar is as soon as you notice the cyst. if i wait longer than a week or two to get a shot i will be left with a scar.

Kaiser is pretty tight on cortisone shots. Usually you have to get referred from your Kaiser GP to dermatology. I made a decent complaint when I needed the shots by saying that it was not right to have to go outside of Kaiser to get these simple shots. Once you are referred to dermatology, you can make an appointment with dermatology for future appointments, bypassing the GP.

not sure what insurance you have but here in pa we dont need referrals to see any type of doctor. its been this way for over 12 years or longer. its so much better now for sure because that referral crap was a hassle.