Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danipaskor

Dr. Does Not Test Blood- Is This Ok/normal?

I have never gotten a blood test for Accutane.

My derm never had me get one before I started and I'm about to be on month two next week.

All of my pregnancy checks have been done through urine tests.

My question is: Should I request he does a blood test to ensure all of my levels are normal? Are the derms SUPPOSED to blood test or is it the doctor's choice/judgement?

You need to have a talk with your dermatologist. The test is to check your liver to make sure everything is okay. I would make sure that you have it done every month. Either the doctor is new to it or doesn't care. Either way, you should be getting a blood test every month.

You need to have a talk with your dermatologist. The test is to check your liver to make sure everything is okay. I would make sure that you have it done every month. Either the doctor is new to it or doesn't care. Either way, you should be getting a blood test every month.

Yeah, that is what I thought...

And this doctor has been practicing for 20+ years and his own children were on Accutane. (Well that's the story he told me)

Thank you for your input. Me (and my liver) appreciate it! =)

He doesn't sound very good. Blood tests are vital.

I know; I'm totally fuming/freaking out now. I didn't realize all that they are testing for in the blood test; I thought it was just for the HcG (pregnancy) until I began reading some of the posts on here.

I not sure if I should switch derms... I don't know how easy that would be with already having started Accutane with him, plus my insurance isn't the best. It sucks that I am relying on a website for all of my information and not my actual doctor.

Sometimes you have to; they tend to believe their way is the only way. E.g. I've had docs/derms tell me nothing can help acne scars (obviously false) and that my hypertrophic scars will become barely noticeable in a few years (also false).