Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sallyann616

I Think Ive Final Realised My Trigger For 23 Years Of Acne And Kp - Gluten!

36 years old, had acne since i was approx 14, started with a bout of impetigo, which im now wondering could have been DH. Anyhoo main symptoms are Keratosis Pilaris on thighs, buttocks, upper arms, on face i get closed comedones and sometimes painful lumps that if i leave eventually show a huge plug which can be carefully extracted, also lots of whiteheads on chin and under nose.

My god it's been a long old hunt to find the trigger!! I gave up quite a few times and decided it had no correlation with food at all, but then could see it did but couldn't figure out the exact nature of it. At first i thought it was dairy, then i thought it was carbs, then sugar. i went on the Paleo diet and it was this that stripped my diet bare enough to see exactly what was going on.

Youre going to laugh but i use my buttocks as a guide to whether ive ingested something my body hates. If my diet is clean, it stays clear, directly i eat something bad it immediately gets really pimply. I can be sure a few days later my face will then get a flare of comedones/whiteheads.

Recently things had stayed pretty good and then i allowed myself to eat a little bit of pastry here, some batter there and the final straw that has caused a huge reaction was some pork crackling. I knew it was something in that bag that my body went mental over as my face broke out immediately, my pores were huge, oil poured out for days, i got large blocked pores, massive whiteheads, i am only just coming ouyt the other side of it a week later! I still had the packet in my car side pocket, looked at the ingredients and it contained Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein and Rusk (Wheatflour), as well as the pork, pork fat etc.

So i am now one week off any sort of gluten at all. My diet currently is all fresh, i make a veggie juice for breakfast, have chicken i prepared myself (not the shop bought pre-cooked stuff as they often have a coating that isn't gluten free) with veggies for dinner, or some mince with veggies, and lunch is often a sweet potato or some butternut squash with tuna.

So far my skin is calming down again, my buttocks are completely smooth and blemish free, my face is looking a little sorry for itself but i will update in another week and we'll see if it's stopped breaking out and healing well.

I really hope this might inspire other people to try going gluten free as i think for many of us, it could just be the piece of the puzzle we've been overlooking x x

Gluten is evil! In addition to my titanium allergy, I also believe my other rashes (legs, shoulders, chest) could be DH. Those are different from what wass going on on my face, and so I believe my face was the allergic reaction to titanium in my make up and the rest of the rashes could be DH. I do wonder if I have undiagnosed celiac disease.

I cut out wheat and dairy 4 weeks ago. Within 4 days everything started getting better-- rashes started clearing up, I can breath through my nose clearly and I started dropping belly fat quickly.

I definitely believe you are on to something. The book "wheat belly" explains why gluten is a problem for all people. Plus, the infusion of fresh fruits and vegetables and lack of additives when you cook from scratch gives you a brush of enzymes and I think that also helps too. I recently bought the cookbook "paleo comfort foods" and it has plenty of great gluten free recipes.

Take care,

Youre going to laugh but i use my buttocks as a guide to whether ive ingested something my body hates. If my diet is clean, it stays clear, directly i eat something bad it immediately gets really pimply. I can be sure a few days later my face will then get a flare of comedones/whiteheads.

I'm not laughing smile.png , my backside was the first place that indicated I had a problem. For years, I ate the wrong foods, and coupled with an office job being sat down all day, it didn't help matters, it was a mess down there lol. Anyway, been strict Paleo for two years now, no grains, no dairy, little to no fruit, and the area is completely clear.

Now you've made your personal connection with acne causing foods, check out the nutrition forums.

I'm glad this worked for you! About a 2-3 months ago, I tried a diet of 2 hard boiled eggs a day, no meat, and only nuts, fruits, and veggies for 3 weeks and noticed no difference :*(

Me too!

I have very sensitive skin afflicted with wide variety of skin ailments which seem to continuously affect my face one after the other. I occasionally get deep cystic acne, then white heads all over my chin when I shave (with an electric razor), and inflamed bumps on my temples, and folliculitis too. I also have eczema (had it since middle school) on the sides of my face, chin, upper lip and on my scalp (my entire beard and hair line), which leaves my skin flaky and causes me to itch. The itchiness, rashes and inflamed bumps of the top of my scalp were the worst, it was very very itchy and the itching was uncontrollable. I also had a little Keratosis Pilaris on my butt, which always bothered me, but not as much as my facial issues.

So I'd heard rumors about gluten can aggravate skin conditions, and I tried it--at that point I was willing to try anything. And it worked. My scalp healed for the first time in three years; it was no longer itchy. The flaky patches on my skin healed, and my face cleared up, no white heads. I don't remember how it affected my Keratosis Pilaris because at the time I had intended to address that problem. Two months into the diet, I got some painful inflamed bumps, on the side of my face, (after binging on beer with a friend one night). Although it was not as bad as it had been in the past, the inflamed bumps discouraged me. I gave up on the gluten diet feeling like it wasn't worth it if I was going to continue to suffer inflammation.

But once I returned to the habit of eating gluten three times a day, the health of my skin deteriorated rapidly. It made me notice just how much of a change the diet had made. My scalp itched like crazy again, it was red and inflamed. My skin became flaky again, and the bumps on my temples returned, plus a papule on my jaw, and white heads when I shaved.

I've been back on my gluten free diet for four days, and already my scalp is nearly all healed, itchiness is greatly reduced, flakiness receding. I'm in for the long term now. I'll write back in four months, and let you know how my skin feels then.

Edited by CrazySkin