Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so I see my derm in a couple weeks and I'm going to see if I can switch from retin-a cream to gel. Then I really want to get off clindimycin gel since I've been on it since last December and I don't like the idea of antibiotic resistance. So I'm thinking I want to try benzoyl peroxide and I'm unsure which strength or what product to try. On this site Dan says 2.5% is the best amount to use. The kind of acne I have is main inflamed acne that is sometimes cystic but I rarely get any cystics now. I'm sure the minocycline is what is keeping the worst of my acne away. So does can anyone help? Also I try to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies in addition to cutting down on processed food.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm thinking the only thing that would work for a 2.5% gel is the acne.org treatment. Has anyone had good results from it? If I do end up getting I'm thinking I should feel the regimen but just in the morning since I would use retin-a at night.

Edited by Brown Spots

2.5% strength is the preferred amount to use. You could try a 5% if you wish to. Depends what's available :)

Agree with the 2.5%

Personally, I would take a step back with your dermatologist. You don't want to use too many different products. Down the line it'll make it tough to rule out what worked and what didn't work for you. If you notice, the regimen is cleanse, BP and then moisturize. Simple. Currently you are on a Tretinoin (Vit.A) cream, Zinc and Minocycline (Antibiotic). Then you want to add BP to the mix. That's going to be 5 different acne treatments trying to work towards the same goal. If you are still having acne after almost one year now, how are you going to cross off what hasn't worked for you?

This is a topic that I would personally take up with my dermatologist. My first derm was like that. I was on everything and anything that had the word acne on it. I finally left that derm after two years of constant acne and found a new one. My new derm thought I was crazy for using everything I was on and was amazed that I didn't have liver problems. All I'm saying is that you might was to review what your treatment is with your derm and make sure it's right for you. It's tough for a doctor to have a personal connection to every single person they help. Anyways, I ramble. If you want to go on the regimen with the site then I would go for it 100% and test it for a few months, then I would cross BP off my list and try something new. Hope this helps? Good Luck!

Thanks for replying!

Well my derm never suggested I take zinc, that was something I discovered on my own.Secondly the retin-a cream has isopropyl myristate in it, so that is what I think is causing my continued acne. Well what I also know that the "regimen" has just benzoyl peroxide with a basic cleanser & moisturizer. The retin-a product has potential to clear me up completely. The minocycline will be gone when I see my derm because I've been on it since March of this year. I've been taking zinc for about two or three months now and I have not seen a difference but then again I sometimes forget to take it. Right now you have just messed up what I thought was my new "perfect" plan. My derm is a very good and even my mom thinks he a pretty good doctor since he actually takes time and talks with you, not at you. I will have to ask about everything I need to know and I probably should write it down, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_myristate

EDIT: Sodium sulfacetamide is something I just came across and I'm interested in. Is it better bet than benzoyl peroxide? I've used so many acne kits that contained benzoyl peroxide and they did about nothing so maybe it doesn't work for me.

Edited by Brown Spots