Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ivy.

So Anxious About My Skin And All Over The Place With 'treatments'....blargh.

So...I'v been on antibiotics for the last four months, and this has stopped the cystic acne I get on my right cheek, but It never got me totally "clear"....my forehead still has tiny little acne bumps on it and any pimples that I have gotten have been small, but still occuring despite the 100mg minocycline....still have gotten clogged pores on occassion aswell although I don't know if antibiotics are supposed to stop whiteheads or not.

So...I'm all over the place with anxiety (again) because I am coming OFF the mino now, and have been tapering off.

My problems is, is I can see a cyst forming (teeny tiny little bump, but then it gets inflammed and BLOWS UP into a mega painful scaring evil cyst)....and since I have been tapering off my chin has tiny whiteheads on it, forehead is half decent, and that stupid cyst is forming...so im mildly breaking out

I was super afraid of having a rebound acne flare up from stopping the antibiotic and I really really hope it's not going to happen. But since i'v been tapering off i'v gotten all over the place with trying different acne fixing crap....like;

1.been trying to eat more fruit, veggies, etc for the last two weeks

2. bought a new cleanser (la-roche posay effaclar) and triacneal by avene which is an acne treatment (but now im anxious about that because the cleanser has potentially irritating chemicals in it, plus im anxious it's going to break me out...so I want to try using it but don't because im scared to try it...also I don't know if it'll take off all my makeup or if it'll suck at that and then i'll break out...).

3. my doctor has me on erythromycin cream but it obviously isnt working yet...or something...I don't know BP doesn't seem to help me.

4. I'm afraid new cleanser / antibiotic cream is going to dry out my skin...then im going to put moisturizer on...so either the dry skin / moisturizer is going to break me out.

5. Don't know if I should just stop wearing makeup and stop with the cleansers and just wash my face with honey...but then I'm scared that it wont clean my face enough and i'll break out even more...

6. Im anxious when I go back and see my dermatologist in 5 weeks that she won't help me further if the antibiotic cream doesnt work...I want to go on accutane and get this over with but she's scared to give it to me because Im so upset about my acne >.< which i understand but still

TL;DR - I don't know wtf to do about my skin and I keep trying to add and take away all sorts of crap and im stressed the %^&# out!!!

need advice lol

Edited by Ivy.

I can certainly see that there's the potential for you to fall into that trap of panicking as you come off the antibiotics. As you say, there's that vicious cycle of perhaps overcompensating by trying lots of different things and making snap decisions. Problem is, if you do try something new, there's every chance it could make things worse before it takes control and makes things better. But if you panic at that point and don't give it time, you'd never get past that IB stage. In that respect, perhaps it's an idea just to see if you can maintain a regimen and see if things settle.

As far as your product choice is concerned, I do find that La-Roche Posay to be a bit drying sometimes. But I do find that it keeps my skin dried out as far as oil production is concerned - the oiliness doesn't come back shortly after washing, like it can do with other cleansers I've used. You could always try it out and see how you get on. As long as you're not over-washing and then having to moisturise excessively as a result, then you'd be able to avoid getting trapped in that cycle you mentioned.

As far as medication is concerned, you're quite right to be at least a little anxious as to what you could do next. If Accutane is an option for you, it's worth looking at. I've always found that antibiotics makes the acne come back stronger when I stop taking them. I'm on Doxy at the minute which is going alright, but I've no idea what my options would be afterwards. I can't get a referral for Accutane here on the basis that, technically, my skin does respond to antibiotics. But, if your dermatologist is willing to consider it on the basis that antibiotics or anything else hasn't made the acne actually stop, you could give it a shot.

Whatever you decide and whatever options you find, I wish you the best of luck as I know what it's like to start wondering when it will end as more and more time passes. So fingers crossed your derm is able to see things from your perspective and help you work it out.

smile.png

Edited by PaulH85

To PaulH85 too--

I had a derm that wouldn't let me touch Accutane. Then...I just went to a different derm. Ta-da! Accutane. Going to a different derm, presenting all your problems with past derms and clearly expressing what you want might just get it for you. Before Tane, I would hold back tears at the derm's office. Then, I went to a new one and just told her I've gone through many prescriptions multiple times and I WANT Accutane. She looked over my history and gave me to O.K. on my first appointment.

So yep. That's an option too. Of course, I hated Accutane with a passion. It didn't help me--but my personal experience dealing with the medication isn't the point, lol.

:)

To PaulH85 too--

I had a derm that wouldn't let me touch Accutane. Then...I just went to a different derm. Ta-da! Accutane. Going to a different derm, presenting all your problems with past derms and clearly expressing what you want might just get it for you. Before Tane, I would hold back tears at the derm's office. Then, I went to a new one and just told her I've gone through many prescriptions multiple times and I WANT Accutane. She looked over my history and gave me to O.K. on my first appointment.

Cool. Credit to you for sticking to your guns. Unfortunately, going to another derm isn't an option for me. All the derms here in Sheffield where I live require a referral from a doctor. That goes for the private ones and the ones who do free health care. The derms see people who only have severe cystic acne which hasn't responded to other things. My acne isn't cystic and, by definition, my acne does respond to other things. It always comes back and gets worse, but it does respond. For that reason, none of the derms will see me because I don't fit the criteria. I could go on all day about the problems it's caused me - severe lack of confidence, no social circle and the loss of my job, and it would only be about five seconds before I started crying my eyes out - but it's simply not a factor to the derms here. I can't afford to pay to go private in another city so I'm out of options as far as Accutane goes. That is why I would suggest, to anyone who has a derm who says it's possible, that they at least consider it and make the most of having the opportunity. But of course, that is only my opinion and it's obviously swayed by the fact I don't have the opportunity.

Edited by PaulH85

You know, my acne isn't cystic either, responded to antibiotics (temporarily) and I don't think I was referred to by another doctor. My derm was through Kaiser. I just basically scheduled an appointment with a different derm. I don't quite remember why it worked out so easily...but Kaiser just scheduled me with whatever derm was available, so that's what happened. Are you not through Kaiser?

Sorry to hear it won't be so easy. :( Just throwing it out there. :)

Ah, sorry for the confusion here. When I say Sheffield, that's Sheffield, England. Whole different system here. Otherwise, I'm quite sure I would have had Accutane about five years ago. Maybe I'll get to try again one day, or maybe my acne will finally go away first. I guess I'll just have to tough it and see if I get lucky. :)

Unfortunately Ivy, I don't know how much there is that you CAN do about your recurring acne. Sometimes you can take all the right steps and STILL break out - that's just the way the world is, and it sucks. People here can go on two or three courses of accutane, have clear skin for years and then all of a sudden go back to having a full face of pimples, and even get breakouts in their forties and fifties and beyond. Most likely all the things that you're doing are lowering your chances of getting that recurring breakout, but I don't think there's any way to eliminate the possibility entirely. I know how tempting it is to try, and I know how incredibly desperate a person can feel to try to regain some of that control over his or her life. But in the end (in the words of one Don Draper), the universe is... pretty indifferent and all you can do is react to whatever it throws at you, good or bad.

FWIW, I recommend skipping the makeup for now (unless you absolutely HAVE to wear it for some fancy event or other) until you feel a little more certain about your condition. Good luck.

Edited by hotburrito