Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!

I'm almost in my 4th month on Accutane (first 3 months and a half with 20mg, rest with 40mg), and I have very few little white bumps on my forehead and left cheek right now. I got 2 pustules last week because of a really stressful situation I had to deal with (acne only makes it worse) but both of them are nearly gone.

What I do have is my forehead still a little oily (it's like shiny but it doesn't seem to have any oil on it, I don't know) and lots of red marks from pimples I've popped before going on Accutane and some I had left from the (very mild) IB I got in my first month. I use (in a veeeey gentle way) glycerin soap when taking a shower and I always moisturize afterwards. I also use SPF (50+) when going outside.

My question is, do I have to exfoliate my skin too? I don't think I've ever done that. Is it supposed to make my skin look better? I feel my red/brown marks will NEVER go away and I also get very dry skin sometimes.

If I have to do it, what product can I use? What do you recommend? TIA!

No, do not exfoliate. Your skin is too fragile at this point.

Actually, I don't really think anybody should be exfoliating their face but that's just me.

If you're a guy, shaving does a good job of it, just a single blade. Removes all the dead skin cells stuck to the skin and lets it breathe a bit

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

If you're a guy, shaving does a good job of it, just a single blade. Removes all the dead skin cells stuck to the skin and lets it breathe a bit

I'd echo what Dani has said - your skin is pretty fragile, and the dry skin on your face is covering very delicate, new skin. I've found even in my first month that if I accidentally knock any flakes or scabs off, the skin underneath is always very pink.

Once you're done with your 'Tane, the flakes should go away, and you can deal with your PIH and explore different methods of exfoliation. :D

I wouldn't exfoliate. I did it whilst on Accutane and my face was raw and leathery for about 3 days afterwards, then it went really dry (still is a week later) and flaky despite coating my face in Bio-Oil.

Is it good to exfoliate after your done tane? I've been off it for 3-4 months now and My course was about 3 months.. So is it okay to exfoliate? since I have ton's of red marks.

QQMAN: You can, since your skin isn't as delicate as it was before, but start gently and use something that isn't too abrasive like a baby's hair brush. :)

@Gutterflower.. Thanks for the response! :D.. Hmm I was thinking a long the lines of Salicylic Acid 1% of course to start of deliciate like you stated.