Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frhx

A 17-Year-Old Girl's Log. (Started October 13, 2011)

*My Accutane Log*

~Started: October 13, 2011 for 6 months~

Name: Farah

Weight: 8 stones (50 kg)

Dose: 20mg (for now)

Introduction:

I've had acne since I was 11 or 12 but it only got worse the past couple of years or something. I don't know if it's mild or severe, but I get big zits/cystic/bumpy ones/regular pimples and they leave scars that take so long to heal (even when I don't pick on them) and it's persistent. I also think it's hormonal because I break out during ovulation and at the end of menstruation.

I tried every single product you can imagine and if anything worked, it only did for a couple of days and somehow my skin became resistant t to the product so I spent the past few years switching from a product to the other with no luck. I also tried home remedies and everything but nothing ever worked.

It was time to see a dermatologist. He prescribed a cleanser + antibiotic cream + pills, but nothing really helped at all. It's as if my skin resists all sort of treatments. My dermatologist thought it was time for accutane. He said if any traditional treatment works, it'll always leave scars behind and my acne will always come back. Accutane was our last resort and I really do hope it works.

About me:

I'm a 17-year-old dreamer who finds joy in artistic self-expression (photography, drawing/painting, writing and music). I've been going through a hard time the past five-six years and I've had really bad self-image. I developed an eating disorder and suffered from depression which resulted in self-harm (despite having a tendency to harm myself since I was little). I can gladly say I'm at a healthy weight and I've been eating well. I also haven't harmed myself for months. I think the depression comes and goes but I do try to fight it.

My acne fuels my depression and extremely bad self-image. I really hope accutane works.

Day 3

I'm on a dose of 20mg/day till I see my doctor again in a month.

My lips are getting dry already. My skin is less oily and slightly more sensitive. My eyes feel sort of dry too. Joints slightly hurt. No improvement in the acne though. It's only my third day anyway.

Worried about the side effects getting worse and about my depression getting worse. I'm such a baby. Oh well.

Edited by frhx

It's exactly my sixth day on accutane.

My lips hurt a little and they're even more dry but I'm using a good lip balm.

Headaches and exhaustion - but it's probably the dehydration or something?

No improvement in the acne which is disappointing even though I know I need to wait a bit more.

I'm too emotional and overly sensitive. Every thing is affecting me and I somehow end up sort of crying daily or every other day. Wondering if it's the accutane, any idea?

Edited by frhx

Could be in your head, the side effect of crying is there for if your acne gets worse, you get more sad, then cry, im not sure why your crying. But when you explain it you just say you end up crying, can you give more info?

And this is my 3rd day on accutane!

Could be in your head, the side effect of crying is there for if your acne gets worse, you get more sad, then cry, im not sure why your crying. But when you explain it you just say you end up crying, can you give more info?

And this is my 3rd day on accutane!

My acne hasn't gotten worse, nor better. It's the same as when I started. It's just that really small things are affecting me and I'm more emotional, that's why I end up crying, even though that's extreme for me in situations like that.

I'm still waiting for tane to work. Not so happy with the small dose, but I hope my derm ups it to 40mg when I see him in 3 weeks.

It's just your head, accutane doesn't really do anything to you emotionally, it's just people really hope to see improvement and are too eager. I personally saw results on the 3rd week, my skin got worse on the first and 2nd week. I got upset just like you but it did got much better on the 3rd week and improved even more on the 4th week. My derm upped my dose to 80 mg and my skin is bad again soooo I'm just waiting for the 3rd week until it gets better ^^

When your derm lets you take 40mg, you will most likely to have a worse skin condition but hang in there because it WILL get so much better.

Day 7 / Week 1

I think I'm having this initial breakout everyone talks about and it caused my self-esteem to go down the toilet again. I had this bumpy zit on my chin before I started accutane and it's still there along with a few faint acne scars but now I have a pimple on my chin as well and there's this red bump under my eye and it's one of those that magically end up being two big ugly zits. Also my nose really hurts, as if another zit is making its way or something.

I'm really not happy and I feel awful about my face that I don't wanna go to school, but it's almost the weekend.

If this is the initial breakout, does that mean my face will clear up a little when it's over? I sure hope so. My face really hurts.

I'm holding on because accutane is my last resort and I'm sure I'll feel so much better when my face is clear.

*sigh*

Edited by frhx

Wish i could give you a hug or something!

Unfortunately, i relate to a lot of things you say.. I have a very low self esteem as well, and it's exactly the way you put it: "acne fuels my depression and extremely bad self-image". I also have those days were everything is just too much and i feel like crying all the time.

Anyway, I'm getting on accutane as well, so good luck to both of us!

Jeez your jusf like me in many ways, we weigh the same and your just a year older than me. Can I ask, if your asian, i may be wrong, it's just your name. I'm super emotionally and physically sensitive. I had a panic attack when I had my blood test. Good luck, i'll follow your progress.

FRHX, you are not being a baby. It takes alot for any one of us to stand up and point out our insecurities, no matter the age. Everyone has them but some people are better at covering them up than others. Never minimize your feelings as you are entitled to have them. I would recommend though that due to your prior disposition to depression that you let someone that you trust know that you are on this drug so that they can watch your moods. Also, i've been journaling about my day/mood and it has helped me begin to see patterns of when i'm most down in the dumps. I also try to do meditation to help relieve the stress that no doubt goes along with the constant worrying.

Regarding your acne, my motto is prepare your mind for the initial outbreak so that it won't devastate you when it comes. It's only temporary. I believe i am also on day 10 and my biggest issues are dry and uncomfortable skin (irritated), dry lips and break outs. It's going to be a rough road ahead but try to think positively and find at least one thing in your day that made it worthwhile (it can be as simple as helping out a friend).

Good Luck hun!

Aww, thanks for the support.

oh and I'm not Asian, I live in Egypt. However, I get told I look Asian a lot that it's getting annoying. eusa_think.gif

I'm too emotional again. Somehow I end up crying every single day. Somehow everything makes me mad. Somehow I end up thinking of dying. I'm in a horrible state. Accutane needs to start working so that I feel like it's actually worth it.

Day 10

Not much has been going on, my face has definitely gotten worse and this new zit really hurts. *sigh*

Trying to be patient.

Oh forgot to mention that the pimple below my lips has cleared up faster than it normally would.

Edited by frhx

Day 17

My face has gotten a lot drier and more sensitive. My lips too. I'm on my period and I didn't break out badly. However, I have this cystic zit below my eye which is annoying as hell and I know I'll be feeling horrible all day at school tomorrow because of it. My chin is still red, scars mostly which I'll have to use concealer for... I really hope accutane starts working a bit more... I hate cystic acne. :'(

Hey I just wanted to say I can somewhat relate to you. Before accutane, I was in a really, really bad depression. I am 4 months in now, with skin I only dreamed of, I still have my depression, but I can once I start college next year and get a fresh start, it's all going to be gone. So just hang in there, and before you know it accutane will have you all cleared up.

timmmay: I'm really glad you're happy with your skin. I'm also going to be in college next year as well. (:

Day 22

My depression has gotten worse recently for various reasons, or maybe none. Anyway, my face needs to get better.

My face has gotten drier, lips more chapped but...

MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT! D:

I'm freaking out about it. It's been happening for a couple of days and I didn't even have thick hair to begin with. I've been taking supplements for my hair for a month now and everything was going great, but now my hair is falling out and I have dandruff. O_O

Is this the accutane?

I'm sort of starting to hate the side effects. :\

Salam , first of all welcome to our community , for accutane log

Iv been , following your posts from day 1 , today its your 22 day on the drug .. u just need to be patient the first month always its the hardest one because of IB .. and other side effects most of us will see improvements in end of month 2 .. and my advise for u is not to take it near your heart just be patient im on 34 day on ROACCUTAN 60MG a day .. im still on IB my face seems to be messed up right know but im confident things are going to get better in next days for me and i hope for u too .. stay positive

TAKE CARE kisses

hey i just started accutane 1 day before you started,,my doc put me on 10m/g and i dont think that isnt enough cause i have really severe acne,im 17 too and going to college next year ill be keeping in touch with this log :)

my doc still had me on my topical medication so far i havent had any sign of dry face i have dry lips though maybe the topical med she gave me helps moisturize too,im almost in my 1st month on november 12 and the topical meds im still using is tretinoin lotion clarifying lotion and salisylic acid weird cause i was hoping i dont have to use topical anymore while on accutane,

anyways now i have 4 cyst 3 are the ones i had before im on accutane the other 1 is when im already on accutane and you know what i have severe oily skin but now no sign of oily skin anymore!its a miracle hopefully it helps with my acne problems too! GOODLUCK!ill be with you till month 6

nukelle: thank you for the support. I'll try to be more patient.

19deri19: thanks for the support. smile.png

Day 24

I'm really upset because I keep losing hair. My hair is dry and not soft/shiny anymore. I can't stand touching or seeing it at the moment. Also my scalp is peeling off, so it looks like I have dandruff and it's really annoying.

I've done some research and since roaccutane is a vitamin-A derivative and the severity of the side-effects could be due to vitamin-A toxcity, I'm going to balance the vitamin levels in my body, by not eating much food that has the vitamin. I'm going to drink lots of water to hydrate myself and more coffee to help with the vitamin balance in my body. Let's hope it works.

Edited by frhx

Day 31 / Month 1

My hair loss isn't so bad anymore. I only washed my hair once in the past week and made sure I applied a leave-in conditioner which helped with the dryness and hair loss.

My acne has been awful, but for a couple of days, it's been getting better.

More side effects are kicking in, I guess. Or maybe I'm just blaming everything on the medicine. :P

Anyway, I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. Let's see if he's gonna change my dose.

I started to lose hair ever since I bumped up to 80mg rather than 40mg. Just don't worry about it, it will grow back. At first I really freaked out about it but then after like a month I just went meh. Just make sure you avoid vitamin A.

And yes, all your side effects are caused by accutane. Including the hairloss.

I hope I don't sound insensitive, but please don't dwell on your depression! The more you think and say you're depressed, you eventually conform to that! The power of suggestion is incredible. Think positive! Good luck with your course :)

I hope I don't sound insensitive, but please don't dwell on your depression! The more you think and say you're depressed, you eventually conform to that! The power of suggestion is incredible. Think positive! Good luck with your course smile.png

It's okay, thanks, but I'm actually really depressed at the moment. I'll try to do something fun in the weekend though. I'm also finding it really hard to sleep lately which isn't helping much.

Haven't seen my doctor yet.

Well if it's serious, your doc and derm need to know. But all I can advice is, yeah do something you enjoy this weekend, and try to exercise. The endorphins may help. Keep me updated :)

Hey there, Hope your course is going better for you now. I am on 20 mg a day aswell. I started my course on the 3rd of October, and from what I have heard from many people including my doctor is that the first 2 months on the drug are the worst. So you just have to close your eyes and dont look in a mirror as much and find something to do with yourself because when that day does come, the day when you start to see significant improvement, you will be over the moon with joy.

This is hailed as a miracle drug by many people, I guarantee you in a few months that this will just be a bad memory and you can live life without worrying about acne.

I don't want to say anything about the side effects so that my mom doesn't make me go off the medicine. I feel worse with the acne.

I did have fun yesterday, I had a couple of low moments but I managed to pull myself up and enjoy my time.

Still haven't seen my doctor, he's too busy and I'm not that free either. :\