Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danipaskor

The "going To The Makeup Counter" Feeling

Does anyone else feel incredibly anxious, uncomfortable, and embarassed about going up to the makeup counter?

Edited by danipaskor

Everytime, I don't even know why.

I bet no one actually cares, but I get very paranoid that everyone is staring at me, thinking "Does she really think make up will help?"

But I'm pretty sure it's all in my head xD

Everytime, I don't even know why.

I bet no one actually cares, but I get very paranoid that everyone is staring at me, thinking "Does she really think make up will help?"

But I'm pretty sure it's all in my head xD

Yes!

I feel that way too...

I never know if I should say something about my acne or just let it speak for itself.

I also feel guilty sometimes, like I am a really difficult case. I have a lot of scarring so it's practically impossible to find a foundation that works for me. My scars are really red and the rest of my skin is a buff tone.

Plus it doesn't help that the girls (or men) working there are beautiful and all done up. Can be super intimidating sometimes.

I feel the same way sometimes. But then again, I've also had some of the sweetest and most understanding sales associates when I've gone to Sephora or the makeup counter when my acne was really bad. Often times they'll sympathize and tell you that they use Retin-A, Accutane etc themselves. Acne is a common issue and people who deal in makeup and skincare are very familiar with it.

I feel exactly the same way. I had a particularly bad experience at a Bobbi Brown counter at David Jones, Chatswood Chase. The woman looked as if she despised colour matching my skin because my scars appeared repugnant to her or something. In the end, she roughly applied one side and rudely ushered me off. This is why I hate going to make up counters. I also hate going to a skin care counter just to ask for one product. I may be asking about a certain eye cream they have or a mask. Instead they recommend that I go on their acne regimen. I know I have bad skin. Just wish they didn't have to remind me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I feel exactly the same way. I had a particularly bad experience at a Bobbi Brown counter at David Jones, Chatswood Chase. The woman looked as if she despised colour matching my skin because my scars appeared repugnant to her or something. In the end, she roughly applied one side and rudely ushered me off. This is why I hate going to make up counters. I also hate going to a skin care counter just to ask for one product. I may be asking about a certain eye cream they have or a mask. Instead they recommend that I go on their acne regimen. I know I have bad skin. Just wish they didn't have to remind me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

YES! I had a bad experience at the Clinique counter once....

I was trying to get foundation and the girl couldn't figure out which shade would work best.

She put one shade on the left side of my face and another shade on the right side of my face.

She then stepped back and stared at me for a minute.

Then she yelled over to the other girl behind the counter to come over.

She explained to her, loudly, for everyone to hear, "She has acne so... I don't know, which shade do you think looks better?"

She then called each person behing the counter, one by one, explaining to them that "SHE HAS ACNE..."

So after being treated like an exhibit at the make-up counter for 30 minutes, I didn't get anything.

I just left feeling embarrased and humiliated :(

I remember one time when I went to the makeup counter and was looking for foundation and my scarring was very bad, my skin look wrecked. And the lady tried on a few foundations on me, noticing that none of them covered the redness, until she called over another makeup lady and told her "She is looking for some foundation but, none of them are covering all the red stuff on her face" then the other lady grabbed some BODY foundation that is made specifically for covering PERMANENT TATTOOS and put a thick layer over my face and told me "Oh don't worry, I use this body makeup on alot of people who have skin like yours." I got so upset, I just left without buying anything. Now I stick to drugstore foundation but, everytime I walk in the isle I get embarassed by the people walking by I just htink they are thinking "She must be looking for something to cover up her acne." It's so embarassing.

Wow... I'm so sorry you guys have had such bad experiences! crazy.gif

I recently went to the Clinique counter at Macy's sans makeup (after having a really long and dramatic anxiety attack in my car). The makeup lady that assisted me was sooooooooooooooooo nice. She spent a really long time helping me out. She didn't seem to be put off by my acne at all. She was very professional and made sure that I felt good about myself. Every time I said something negative about myself she would reassure me how handsome I was in spite of having acne and how my acne wasn't even that bad.

I hope you guys have better experiences in the future =C!

I am way too embarrassed nowadays to go to Sephora or any department stores to buy make up. I can't stand the bright florescent lighting which makes me look disgusting and some of the "unprofessional" people who work there. I use to go because my best friend told me it wouldn't be a big deal and it shouldn't matter but I KNOW that the last time I went to Sephora to buy some foundation some of the ladies had that look to their face. I felt so humiliated as well. I haven't worn makeup in a long time because I want my skin to be bare and have only the essentials so it heals quickly. I can never find a good foundation either. They all make me look like a disco ball and they don't glide on my skin nicely. No matter what applying technique I use it looks disgusting. Whenever I go out I never wear makeup but I am still too embarrassed to go to public places like malls, downtown, etc. -sigh-

I say, "listen, I have acne, so I need the best coverage you got." I mean makeup is created to cover skin imperfections, so why be embarrassed when shopping for makup? If I had perfect skin, I would not even waste my time at a makeup counter.

I am going to be working at Clarins, a makeup and skincare counter very soon. I would hate for people to be wary of coming up to me! Since I've had acne and still struggle with it, I can totally relate to anyone who comes up with skin issues. It's my job to try and help! So there are understanding people out there. If you talk to someone who is rude or makes you feel uncomfortable, find a different counter/person and they will see the error of their ways. Also, try and find someone with discretion, once again, if they are rude- go to someone else. It seems to be lacking in a lot of sales people and I think it's key. No one wants their key issue shouted out to everyone on the floor.

I haven't worn makeup since July, but before that I was a real makeup-junkie. Women working at makeup counter were usually nice, they never made any comments on my acne, and I noticed that some of them actually got bad scarring as well. I just had an embarrassing experience with one girl working in some anti-aging cosmetic store in mall. She was not rude or something, but only advising me things for my skin was already annoying enough ( especially If I was with my friend).

Actually I have unprofessional workers in phramacies. I always feel very ashamed to buy acne medications that my derm prescribes me. But in my mind I just say"Scew it" and tryin' to keep my head up.

The wear soooo much makeup at the cosmetic counters, it kind of freaks me out. Did I say sooo much, because I meant sooo much-lol. I do remember being upset when I used to go to the clinique counter but mostly because I walked out of there $70 lighter and it never really covered much. Danipakor have you tried mineral makeup? The brand I use covers better than any of the drugstore brands I have ever used and I do not breakout from it. Mineral makeup in general is all around better for those with acne prone skin. Now I order online too so I don't have to worry about facing those counters anymore, Thank God-lol.

I went up to the Clinique counter and asked if she would match a foundation to my skin and I kid you not this is what she said, "Hunny we don't have anything light enough for you, not to mention nothing with heavy coverage which you'll need." I walked over to the Estee Lauder counter and asked the same thing and she was SOOOO nice. She told me all of the different products she used on her acne and then asked me what I used and was very kind.