Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mlashell

Taking The Road To Clear Skin, Lets Get It Started

Hey everyone,

So I just started the regimen and have been poking around on this website for the past few days and discovered these logs. They are super awesome and decided it would be a good way to track my progress.

First some background info. I am eighteen years old, and currently attend CSU in Fort Collins, CO. I have had mild acne since the 8th grade and am just plain fed up with it, ha aren't we all? Anyway, I have tried a whole slew of things, proactiv, washes, scrubs, topicals blah blah blah. Ya the whole deal. Last year around this time I was trying to do some research on how to get rid of acne when I stumbled upon this cite. I fell in love! I read tons of Dan's info about acne and found the review section, which is amazing, and further explored the cite. Because my acne was not that bad I read reviews and decided to try retin A. I thought it was the miracle drug...and it was for a while. I stayed fairly clear, with only a few breakouts here and there. When I moved to go to college my skin just rebelled against me. It broke out all over the place, but I chugged on with retin A. (I'm guessing the added stress and diet change to more processed foods is the reason why my acne decided to flare up.) The fact that my friends barley have to put on make up to have a flawless completion, while I continually pile on makeup, ugh, is not the best confidence booster. I would love, love to not wear makeup, but I am too damn self conscious to go without. So finally, a couple of weeks ago I realized I needed to do something about my skin, so decided to make a decsion to get clear and stop wishing I had clear skin again. I ordered Dan's regimen and then bought some jojoba oil at a natural foods store. And so my journey began...

Week 1

So I have been on the regimen for a week. The first few days were super awesome, the breakout I had on my right side of my chin dried up super fast and everything was looking really good. Since I had used BP before I thought I could use a fair amount and still be fine. Ha, ya that was a lie. I upped my amount and suffered the consequences. My skin was clearly not ready for that and got very red, tight and recently very flaky. I upped my jojoba oil and added emu oil (which I have used previously for dry skin) to my nightly moisturizer to try to counteract the dryness. Note to any new users: DON"T START OFF TOO FAST, you will not get better results that way. I promise. Anyway, over all, the right side of my face looks a lot better, but I can't say the same about the left. I have a new breakout on my left cheek. I'm guessing this is part of the purging process people talk about. I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me, but oh well. Well, I think thats all for now. I will keep updating as time goes by.

Keep your head up. You are beautiful.

Day 10

As of right now I am working on getting rid of flakiness/dryness. To my surprise it is working well. I have been moisturizing a couple time daily, at night I add emu oil to my moisturizer instead of jojoba oil and I have been doing a light (very light) scrub with the emu oil at night as well. I first wash off my makeup with the cleanser the take some emu oil and put it directly on my skin, particularly the dry areas. I let that sit for a minute or so (not really that exact), then I use a tinny tiny bit of St. Ives all natural scrub. I very very lightly rub it on my skin to get rid of the flakes. After that I rinse with water and pat dry. I do the regimen as suggested from that point out. The dryness has improved by ALOT, just in the past few days, but my skin is still a strange texture.

The acne on my face at this point I would say is 80-85% dead. There is a lot of healing and scabbing going on right now. I am impressed that the breakout I had(mentioned in previous post) has dried up and is on its way to normal (yay!) But healing acne is not the prettiest and is a bit rough in texture, so I guessing things will start smoothing out in the next couple weeks. I have a few whiteheads and a few little zits, but no new breakouts to report!! Things are looking up.

Two Weeks

It's almost Halloween, yay!!! Ha anyway, skin. So its looking pretty good. I had a small breakout on my forehead, with one really stubborn spot. All my healing spots are a strange color, kind of a red-brown-purple. Not the best, but its healing so its okay. My skin is still dry, but only in certain spots, which is weird, but I am getting used to it. My general skin texture it odd. I am guessing its still getting used to everything. Also, for some reason my face is super itchy tonight, ahh I hate that feeling. Ya thats about it. Sorry a little vague, but I'm headed to bed.

Hello there! Good luck with the regimen. I council patience because it took quite a long time for my skin to adjust to the Regimen, and I still only use one pump of the benzoyl peroxide.To each their own, just remember to ease into the Regimen!

I look forward to seeing your progress. And also remember to moisturize, moisturizer, MOISTURIZE! ^_^

Day 19

Wow a reply! You just made my day :), haha but really. Thanks for the encouragement, it really does help!

My skin is doing a lot better in terms of dryness this week. Amen to the patience though. Earlier in the week I was hastily putting on moisturizer and rubbing it in, thinking it would penetrate more. Well that was certainly false, I discovered I just needed to chill out and slowly glide it over my skin until it is all absorbed. Ya, ya that’s what the regimen says to do, but easier said than done, especially when you are frustrated with dry skin. I was astounded by the difference this made. By just taking the extra time to let my skin absorb the moisture rather than rubbing it in, decreased my flakiness/ dryness but a ton. I still have a few rough patches, but overall much much better. The actual acne on face is looking good as well. The breakout on my forehead is dying (yes dying) nicely. I don't think I will have any red marks from it, which is great news because that is what I am struggling with the most right now. I haven't had a new real breakout, just some old irrated spots that haven't quite healed yet coming to the surface. Part of that purging process I suppose.

My goal is to be clear by week six, this is when I go home for thanksgiving break. I went home to visit my family after a week on the regimen a.k.a. I just had that initial breakout. My mom asked if i needed to go see a dermatologist. Wow thanks mom. I said no, I am trying something new and know it will work. Obviously she did not really believe me, so I want to prove her wrong. Ha don't get me wrong I love my mom to death, but ya that’s my goal. Plus I don't think going to a derm will really help me because I have read about every review (literally) on prescription medicine and none seem to promising with my type of skin and acne. Side note, this cite has the best reviews because people who use this cite actually have acne and give very honest, accurate reviews, so thank you Dan for having that as part of you website. It’s the best. Also, I just got my best friend to try the regimen, I think she started it last night, so best of luck to her!! One more thing, how long does it usually take for red marks to disappear? Thanks for reading :)

Day 24

Holy crap its almost been a month! That is just pure craziness!! Well this week has been a bit of a roller coaster. Four days ago my skin was looking the best it looked in a while. All my dryness was gone(woo!), and I did not have any new pimples to speak of. Wow, that was awesome. The past three days I have a had a few pimples, they were not very scary and popped super easy. They are healing very nicely now. I think my forehead area is just now purging because I've had all sorts of different pimples come and go. Also its just now getting dry, but I am loading up the moisturizer so it does not get flakey. Even though that description sounds a bit rough, it doesn’t look that bad, which is good. Just last night my face got super red, like it did the first few days on the regimen. Really weird because I did not change anything. It was also a little red this morning. Don't really know what that’s all about. Oh one last thing to note, it has been pretty cold these past few days and I can tell the air is sucking the moisture right out of my skin. Boo on you cold air. So I have had a tad bit of dryness yesterday and today, but nothing like before. I think thats about it. Overall my skin is looking great, I pretty much just waiting for the red marks to fade.

5 weeks

My skin is doing awesome this week! I feel like people are now seeing me as me and not just my acne, which is flipping awesome, that is the greatest feeling ever! Ha anyway my dryness is pretty much gone and I only got a few new spots. I got them at the beginning of the week, so they are gone now. My forehead is still kind of doing its own thing, but I can tell it is improving. I am running low on the cleanser and moisturizer :( so I need to order that pronto. Sorry, not much to report on.