Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been taking Spironolactone for 3 years now with incredible results. My skin is now clear, thanks to 50mg spiro + yaz BC.

However, the FDA recently issued a warning for Spiro, which reads:

"Spironolactone Tablets have been shown to be a tumorigen in chronic toxicity studies in rats (see Precautions). Spironolactone Tablets should be used only in those conditions described under Indications and Usage. Unnecessary use of this drug should be avoided." http://www.drugs.com/pro/spironolactone.html

I LOVE Spiro. But a medicine that causes tumors in rats sounds scary.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what this warning really means and how seriously I should consider it? Has anyone else stopped taking Spiro for these same concerns? Are there alternatives to Spiro that will produce similar results? Also, how long after Spiro treatment is stopped does acne usually return?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

This info on spiro has been around for a long time. It's not a new warning or anything. I think they gave those rats a ton of sprio to make them get tumors. There are side effects with every single med you take. I have recently realized how important it is to get blood work done when you are on it though.