Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

Curious Question Regarding Medication Over Nutrition

Over my many dedicated hours of reading posts on acne org I've convinced myself the only way to help acne is through nutrition/health as it just seems like the most logical way. Except if this is so widely known especially on acne org than how come so many people go on antibiotics and rely so heavily on topicals? I understand they are just masking the problem just like things like BC but its just confusing how some people still go on antibiotics etc even knowing once they're off them it will come back.

sorry this is probably not even really a question but im not sure if im missing something between the 2 separate approaches.

I do however have an more specific question :P

which is.. If you're on BC or taking other pills to help hormonal acne (meaning the acne that really responds well to it rather than other changes) than is it possible to help your body through lifestyle to regulate them or is that just redundant? Meaning im on the pill and the anti-androgens are helping keep my acne away but in the meantime i'm also trying to do everything right like sleep/eat/exercise all really well to pretty much pray I can fix whatever went wrong in me in the first place but is that pointless? in a sense will that even affect my hormones whilst on the pill? Will the pills affects just over-ride any changes I try to make to balance hormones?

that was really confusing to type :0

Because most doctors will tell you that diet has nothing to do with acne.

And yes, diet and lifestyle habits like managing stress and sleeping well will do wonders for helping your body manage hormones. And it's not pointless. Doing those things is always beneficial whether or not the pill is countering some of the desired effects. (And it is.)

Well ignorance is bliss right? If you can still enjoy convenient, over processed, nutritionally void, grain and vegetable oil laden packaged foods, why not? Just supplement with synthetic vitamins and cure your problems with a pill. I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but it's hard to not feel like we're just told these things so that someone else can make a profit. I'm sure most people do in fact know this, but it's hard to live a different lifestyle in our non-stop society. However, if people would go against the grain and demand easier access to better foods, stand up against absurd accusations (like that raw milk is deadly or saturated fats are unhealthy) support local farms, etc then who knows, a revolution may occur.

Sorry I kind of ranted :) When I was still on birth control pills, I felt much better by changing my diet and lifestyle. I've since gone off of them though because I feel it goes hand in hand with the lifestyle change that I'm aiming for.

Nutrition is medication.

Definition of medicine:

Any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Probably one of the best quotes of all time. Of all time, Taylor. :lol:

But on a serious note, It seems like the general idea most people have is that "it's in your genes," and that's that. The derm I visited once had a bunch of anti diet studies and articles pinned on this board in his office. He wanted to put me on a sulfur based antibiotic, seemed to find it amusing that I was curious about an acne-diet connection, same with my GP. Now I'm not against modern medicine, but what I am against is this sort of "I'm helpless, fix it with a pill" mindset that seems to be prevalent. I do think that people should take responsibility for their health, but our society just isn't set up that way IMO. If someone wants pills, that's their choice, but they aren't helpless & at the mercy of forces beyond their control!:shrug:

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

Probably one of the best quotes of all time. Of all time, Taylor. lol.gif

But on a serious note, It seems like the general idea most people have is that "it's in your genes," and that's that. The derm I visited once had a bunch of anti diet studies and articles pinned on this board in his office. He wanted to put me on a sulfur based antibiotic, seemed to find it amusing that I was curious about an acne-diet connection, same with my GP. Now I'm not against modern medicine, but what I am against is this sort of "I'm helpless, fix it with a pill" mindset that seems to be prevalent. I do think that people should take responsibility for their health, but our society just isn't set up that way IMO. If someone wants pills, that's their choice, but they aren't helpless & at the mercy of forces beyond their control!shrug.gif

hi tim12 i'm curious if you do think acne is in our genes and therefore medicine cant work? (sorry Im not sure I interpreted that well haha). See I have a firm distaste for doctors and most professionals as their minds are mostly never too open to alternatives rather than pills. (if so than I wouldnt be stuck on BC and spiro for acne..although it took much explaining just to get the spiro).

point being wow do I get confused with acne. It must be in our genes to get it or everyone in the world would have it too despite their horrific habits in life compared to just about everyone on these boards eating so healthy and doing everything right...

medication scares me so much mainly because the whole "yeah..but you can't take it forever." I also hate that when you use something that works and seems to be the 'only option' and then you have to stop it. Life just seems so unfair with that really if nothing else has helped.

Bah, just typed out a nice response and then my browser freaked out. In short, the medications will treat your acne, but it won't treat all the other things that lead up to it, like insulin spikes, high amounts of cortisol & other hormones, toxins, various inflammatory markers, etc. These things are going to lead to other problems down the line, and I look at acne as a warning sign for most that something is up in the body. With dietary changes, lifestyle improvements, reducing stress, getting better sleep, sun, and exercise, all these things will help move your body into a much more healthy state where acne is less likely to occur. You just have to give it time. Eventually, you'll be able to indulge every now in then in foods that might not be the healthiest thing in the world, and I think that most of us here see those foods as treats, and don't miss having fried chicken every night. Once you switch to a healthy diet, I think you'll want to stick with it just because of how much better you feel!