Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice...

I've never worn makeup before. I don't like makeup. It always looks "bad" to me (powdery, or oily, or fake.) I never understood why people wore it. And now I still don't understand why people with good skin wear it. Its just awful, in my opinion.

But I look really bad. I've been horribly broken out for over 2 months now... and even though its clearing (yeah, only 4 cysts!!) I'm having new problems with my makeup. I've gotten pretty good at covering zits... but now, I'm being to realize I have a new problem and I don't know how to fix it...

I'm covered in scars and hyper-pigmentation. I have very pale skin, and the marks are dark red/orange and purple... with the oldest ones being small, dark brown spots. Its all over my forehead, chin, sides of my cheeks, and I know its going to be all around my mouth soon (my mouth/nose area is breaking out right now... hopefully now that my ENTIRE face has broken out at least once, it will stop...) Especially my forehead.

HOW do I cover all these dark marks?! There's SO many of them that it literally would be impossible to cover them all with concealer. And, like I said, I have extremely pale skin, so they all stand out very vibrantly and the concealer doesn't even hide them... Its really depressing to look at myself... finally getting rid of the acne, but still looking just as bad because of all the red marks...

Right now I'm using Maybelline SuperStay concealer and PureStay powder foundation... I hate wearing it and think it looks terrible, especially since you can still see all the red marks. But I really just DON'T know what to do. Could somebody tell me how to put on makeup to hide these things?!

I know how you feel. You could try a good green-tinted concealer, those are supposed to help counteract redness. But I've only tried that once or twice in the past and it just seemed to be a pain to cover up the green with more makeup afterward, or I just never got the desired effect I wanted. However you might think differently! You could look it up and see what other people say. Other than that, I would switch to a mineral powder makeup. It's way better for your skin anyway and a good quality one could actually help your skin heal. With minerals, you can build up your coverage until you no longer notice your spots. What I do is take a small eyeshadow BRUSH and get it covered in a color a shade or two lighter than my all-over foundation and put that over any spots. Then I'll go over everything with a larger brush and my normal skin-tone color powder.

I hope that helps at least some! I kinda just threw this out there--I'm pretty tired writing this haha. Forgive me!

The best way to make your makeup appear natural is to take advantage of the good parts of your skin and hide the acne/scared part. So if you have pretty reasonable skin overall, put a tinted moisturiser all over your face (rather than a powder foundation) and then once that has 'set' after a few minutes, cover your scars with concealer (using a small brush). You may have to use a heavier duty one than what you are currently using. Using this method, overall, the parts of your skin that need concealing will be covered in makeup and the rest of the skin on your face will be able to shine through the tinted moisturiser and look more natural, rather than having the powdery makeup look that you hate.

A really good concealer thats brilliant in concealing acne and scarring is Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation. But again, I would never recommend that you use this all over your face as its extremely 'concealing'. Good luck with it all...

The best way to make your makeup appear natural is to take advantage of the good parts of your skin and hide the acne/scared part. So if you have pretty reasonable skin overall, put a tinted moisturiser all over your face (rather than a powder foundation) and then once that has 'set' after a few minutes, cover your scars with concealer (using a small brush). You may have to use a heavier duty one than what you are currently using. Using this method, overall, the parts of your skin that need concealing will be covered in makeup and the rest of the skin on your face will be able to shine through the tinted moisturiser and look more natural, rather than having the powdery makeup look that you hate.

A really good concealer thats brilliant in concealing acne and scarring is Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation. But again, I would never recommend that you use this all over your face as its extremely 'concealing'. Good luck with it all...

Good advice. I use an opaque concealer by Amazing Cosmetics. I am super fair and it's the only one I've found that's as light as me and covers really well. Best of luck!