Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LuvMyFace

"mature" Black Woman On Accutane

In short, I've had acne since puberty...almost 25yrs now. I wanted to try Accutane years ago, but opted to exhaust all my efforts with other meds (spiro, antibiotics, etc.)

So, its Day 5 on Amnesteem. I've got very mild peeling on my face and my lips are starting to dry. Feeling itchy on my body too, like I put too much fabric softener in my clothes. May be time to change my moisturizer. I don't like to look ashy, so I've always used a pretty good body lotion year-round, but may need to change to something fragrance free(?).

I'm curious to see what will happen with my hair. I'm natural (no chemical straighteners for those unfamiliar with Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair"), with kinky-curly hair (similar to that of Naptural85 - google her) and I typically flat iron it or wear it in 2-strand twists, so its about shoulder-length. AND I'm over 35, so I color it too. I've heard from all that The Tane will dry your hair out so time will tell how I address this. I don't work in a field where naturals are the norm, so while rocking an Angela-Davis-fist-comb fro may be best for my hair, it might not go over well in the office.

I have my Cetaphil cream ready to roll. I've heard about the Aquaphor and lip balm. Any other pro-moisturizing tips, I welcome,

And for the Black, Hispanic, or African women out there with similar hair issues, feel free to chime in on what is working for your hair on your journey.

Stay blessed.

Edited by LuvMyFace

Wow, you have been dealing with acne for a long time. I'm white, and a bit older than most people on these boards (26), but haven't had to deal with the grey issue. YET. I sometimes color my hair, and I would be interested to hear how other people are handling that issue. Right now my hair is colored, but close enough to my natural color that I can let it grow out and still look acceptable for work. Unless it starts looking bad I'll probably just leave it natural while I'm on accutane.

SD85, I was tempted to try henna while on Tane to cover my gray, but I've heard mixed reviews on the time consuming process and the results. Its natural, like the henna tattoos, but not sure how effective, depending on if you're going lighter/darker I went much lighter with honey-blonde streaks in the summer, which left with very dry, so I will definitely steer clear of that while on the meds.

Day 10 (minus one, skipped the day I went camping)

More peeling and flaking on my skin and scalp. Edges of my lips always feel dry. I've yet to see what will happen with my hair. I couldn't take 6 months of roots so I talked to my stylist about a semi-permanent color or a rinse, something more gentle than the color/highlights I had this summer.

I've also noticed that I'm purging a lot of whiteheads. They have yet to pop up and just sit there, but for my larger pores they are just easing themselves out.

Skin is feeling better. Not sure what I'm doing differently, maybe my skin is just adjusting. Cetaphil cream is my friend.

Edited by LuvMyFace

My skin also adjusted pretty quickly. I'm on day 28 and I'm 30 years old. Cetaphil is great; I personally like CeraVe better, but I love both. I'm white & don't dye my hair so I can't offer any advice there :( Good luck! It sounds like it is time for you to be done with acne forever and I really hope this works for you as a permanent solution :)

I've used quite a few of those 28 day colors. They work pretty well, and since you're wanting to go darker, you probably shouldn't have any issue. I haven't colored my hair since I've been on accutane, but I don't feel like it would be a problem. My hair is pretty much like normal.

Edited by sd85

Thanks Jesoli!

I waited so long to get on Accutane because I was concerned about the possible effects to my unborn children. IPledge scared the heck outta me! I originally considered it years ago, prior to IPledge, but that was when Dateline/60 Minutes aired the story about the son of a congressman killing himself while on Accutane. I wanted no parts of that. Well, let's just say my family plans have changed and after talking to a friend who tried Accutane in her mid-30's (she's now in her mid-40s) I decided to give the Tane a try. I've had acne since before some of the members of this board were born. For the longest time I thought I would "grow out of it." Once I hit 30 I realized it wasn't getting any better, but I was still waiting for more babies. They never came. Its time.

Hey LuvMyFace,

I am too a "mature" woman on roaccutane. Old in age, young when it comes to dealing with acne. I just wanted to pop on and say good luck. I also wanted you to know that Again (another girl on the website) mentioned dying her hair successfully a couple of days ago on her blog. I think it is titled starting accutane for a 3rd time or something similar. She is super friendly so you could drop her a message and see what she used as she mentioned her hair didn't fall off! LOL.

I hope this works out well for you!

Eves x

Thanks Eva2202! Adult acne is no joke. People tell me I look younger than I am, and I often wonder it its because of my pimples. rolleyes.gif

I'll look up the blog you mentioned. Appreciate your support!

So, I'm on week 3. Pretty much average as far as the side effects go. Had a lot of peeling on my forehead last weekend, and I mean peeling as in "looks like you had a sunburn" peeling. This is likely due to me getting my hair dyed and fried (semi-permanent color, then blow dryed & flat ironed straight). Like many, my scalp is flaking ridiculously, however, like most Black women, I don't wash my scalp (hair) everyday so I'm removing the flakes with a comb and using jojoba oil to help the dryness, especially around the edges.

The not so average things to appear were a stye in my eye and bronchitis. Stye is gone, got a Rx for the bronchitis today. I need to drink even more liquids than I have been to break up the congestion. My ENT says I have allergies. :-( It is common for adults who move to DC w/o allergies to develop them as the years go by. This place is centered around a swamp after all. :-) Mold, tree pollen, grass pollen....

But I digress. Went in for my check in with the derm yesterday. Doctor says things are looking good, there will be ups and downs. Truthfully, I'm not expecting anything to really happen until month 5.

Stay Blessed.

Forgot to mention the purging on my nose and chin. Was feeling rather bumpy with all the waxy stuff in the pores coming out. Didn't want to use Biore strips for fear of damaging the skin, so opted for an apple cider vinegar solution, 1 part ACV, 3 parts water, 2x day after I wash my face, then I rinse it off. Basically, the ACV is very acidic so I apply the solution with a cotton ball, wait for it to dry, rinse, moisturize. Works well, along with gently using my washcloth over these areas when I'm wiping the soap off my face. Trying not to pick at them, but when they purge out they are so easy to remove its hard not to keep picking.

Forgot to mention the purging on my nose and chin. Was feeling rather bumpy with all the waxy stuff in the pores coming out. Didn't want to use Biore strips for fear of damaging the skin, so opted for an apple cider vinegar solution, 1 part ACV, 3 parts water, 2x day after I wash my face, then I rinse it off. Basically, the ACV is very acidic so I apply the solution with a cotton ball, wait for it to dry, rinse, moisturize. Works well, along with gently using my washcloth over these areas when I'm wiping the soap off my face. Trying not to pick at them, but when they purge out they are so easy to remove its hard not to keep picking.

Yeah, I went through the whole blackhead/other junk coming out of my pores about a week or two ago, and I'm currently on day 37. I had junk in my pores I didn't even know about!

Hi LuvMyFace - just thought I'd offer my support! I am 36, started getting acne 2-3 years ago and it is an understatement to say it has been no fun at all.

I'm white, so I can't advise on your particular kind of hair but I do have plenty of grey that needs covering! My hairdresser has been applying the dye from the roots down but makes sure it does not touch my scalp - if that makes any sense. I haven't had any problems so far - and I have had my hair dyed twice while on Roaccutane. At the beginning of the course I had an itchy flaky scalp but after I started using Head and Shoulders it went away. Overall, the condition of my hair has actually improved, which amazes me. Normally I have very dry frizzy hair, but it has seemed very soft and shiny since I started the course. I recently started taking Omega-3 capsules, so this may well have something do with my hair's improved condition. I have also found that I need to wash my hair alot less.

I wish you the best of luck with your course - it is tough, but I think it's worth it. I am beginning to see real results, and I am sure you will too!

Well, its been a minute since I checked in. I'm pleased to report that my skin has really cleared up. At month 4.5 and my skin probably hasn't looked this good since before puberty. Getting lots of compliments from old friends.

As for side effects, everything is still dry. I don't think I ever invested in as much in as many moisturizers in my life. Cetaphil cream has been my go-to. Still using aquaphor on my lips. Keep a small tube in the car, each purse, living room, bed room -- just can't make it without it. Chapstick and vaseline didn't quite cut. Using a spray oil for my feet. My fingernails keep splitting, so I have to keep them short. My hair is OK, pretty damaged from coloring and heat styling (pre-accutane) but my stylist keeps it looking good. We'll the real damage after treatment is over.

Biggest problem other than dryness is joint pain. My derm said its normal. I just figured it was because I was 35+. :-) I'm drinking more water, taking glucosimine. Not terrible, but I'm postponing my spring workout program until I'm off accutane because my knees have been bothering me. Sticking to walking uphill on the treadmill, and ab work, no heavy weights for now.

Glad to see others are doing well on their course as well. Here's to clear skin!!

I would suggest trying Macadamia's Deep Repair Masque for your hair. Try leaving it on for an hour or even more.

For everyday conditioner, I love costco's kirkland's conditioner.

I would suggest trying Macadamia's Deep Repair Masque for your hair. Try leaving it on for an hour or even more.

For everyday conditioner, I love costco's kirkland's conditioner.

Thanks! I may check out the deep repair masque!

Well, I am finally on my last month of Accutane. Between two bouts with bronchitis, and HBCU homecoming (no Accutane while drinking), and just being plain forgetful, I was left with almost 2 months worth of medicine at my last office visit. Doc told me to finish the meds, then come in for my scheduled blood tests.

My skin looks great!! I've never had this many compliments on my skin. Friends who haven't seen me in a while say I'm glowing. I'm not pregnant or in love, so it must be the meds. hifive.gif

As expressed earlier, one of my big concerns was my hair, but that seems to be OK. The only damage is that caused by me coloring it prior to Accutane. My short-term solution is deep condition that while slowly trimming the color out.

My challenge now is that, once again, I'm off, with only weeks to go. I sprained my ankle Mother's Day weekend and I've been waiting for it to heal a bit and poke around this site a bit to see what the experience has been for 25+ folks (those who've finished growing) with injuries and Accutane. (Sidebar: Enjoy your youth. Hike, bike, swim, gym, live it up, because your body just doesn't react the same at 35+.) Younger tendons repair more quickly and completely than mature ones.

I'll report back after I finish the meds, let you know how the ankle goes. May even post before/after photos.

Again, I am SO pleased with my progress.

Edited by LuvMyFace

In short, I've had acne since puberty...almost 25yrs now. I wanted to try Accutane years ago, but opted to exhaust all my efforts with other meds (spiro, antibiotics, etc.)

So, its Day 5 on Amnesteem. I've got very mild peeling on my face and my lips are starting to dry. Feeling itchy on my body too, like I put too much fabric softener in my clothes. May be time to change my moisturizer. I don't like to look ashy, so I've always used a pretty good body lotion year-round, but may need to change to something fragrance free(?).

I'm curious to see what will happen with my hair. I'm natural (no chemical straighteners for those unfamiliar with Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair"), with kinky-curly hair (similar to that of Naptural85 - google her) and I typically flat iron it or wear it in 2-strand twists, so its about shoulder-length. AND I'm over 35, so I color it too. I've heard from all that The Tane will dry your hair out so time will tell how I address this. I don't work in a field where naturals are the norm, so while rocking an Angela-Davis-fist-comb fro may be best for my hair, it might not go over well in the office.

I have my Cetaphil cream ready to roll. I've heard about the Aquaphor and lip balm. Any other pro-moisturizing tips, I welcome,

And for the Black, Hispanic, or African women out there with similar hair issues, feel free to chime in on what is working for your hair on your journey.

Stay blessed.

I used to colour my hair usually every month or so, just out of habit and boredom but I wouldn't colour it on accutane. Hair loss is a side effect so I don't know what the reaction to the chemical would be. I'm dying to dye my hair, I just don't want to find out what might happen. What I can tell you is that when I got my eyebrows waxed my skin RIPPED off. it was bleeding. I don't know how many layers must have come off. And that was only after the first month. So your skin will be very very sensitive all around. Be very careful and try and use what's safest if you do put chemicals in it. I don't suggest doing it yourself, go to a knowledgeable hairstylist.

Good luck on your course =)

Well, I am finally on my last month of Accutane. Between two bouts with bronchitis, and HBCU homecoming (no Accutane while drinking), and just being plain forgetful, I was left with almost 2 months worth of medicine at my last office visit. Doc told me to finish the meds, then come in for my scheduled blood tests.

My skin looks great!! I've never had this many compliments on my skin. Friends who haven't seen me in a while say I'm glowing. I'm not pregnant or in love, so it must be the meds. hifive.gif

As expressed earlier, one of my big concerns was my hair, but that seems to be OK. The only damage is that caused by me coloring it prior to Accutane. My short-term solution is deep condition that while slowly trimming the color out.

My challenge now is that, once again, I'm off, with only weeks to go. I sprained my ankle Mother's Day weekend and I've been waiting for it to heal a bit and poke around this site a bit to see what the experience has been for 25+ folks (those who've finished growing) with injuries and Accutane. (Sidebar: Enjoy your youth. Hike, bike, swim, gym, live it up, because your body just doesn't react the same at 35+.) Younger tendons repair more quickly and completely than mature ones.

I'll report back after I finish the meds, let you know how the ankle goes. May even post before/after photos.

So, did you dye your hair during your course??

Stay blessed.

I used to colour my hair usually every month or so, just out of habit and boredom but I wouldn't colour it on accutane. Hair loss is a side effect so I don't know what the reaction to the chemical would be. I'm dying to dye my hair, I just don't want to find out what might happen. What I can tell you is that when I got my eyebrows waxed my skin RIPPED off. it was bleeding. I don't know how many layers must have come off. And that was only after the first month. So your skin will be very very sensitive all around. Be very careful and try and use what's safest if you do put chemicals in it. I don't suggest doing it yourself, go to a knowledgeable hairstylist.

Good luck on your course =)

So, did you dye your hair during your course??

Hi Simplicita!

I did. She used a semi-permanent color (volume 10 instead of volume 20) but it changed the texture of my hair. Much of that texture change occurred because of lots of heat styling before Accutane. Since Accutane, my hair has grown out fairly well. I always had really thick hair, so any thinning might not be too noticeable.

I'd just say that if anyone is in doubt about color, ask a professional and get regular conditioning treatments. My hair looks great when I leave the shop, but because of the color and excessive heat (flat iron) the ends went from cork screw shaped to nearly straight. The root is fine, healthy, thick, but with lots of gray. I used a simple rinse to cover the gray, nothing permanent.

As for my brows, I've started threading. I actually like the results better than waxing. Will probably stick with it even after the suggested 6-12 months post-treatment when you aren't supposed to wax.