Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XnicoleX

Can I Still Take Accutane If I Had A Reaction To An Antibiotic? And Bc Question?

I'm supposed to start Accutane in November and my Dr. gave me an antibiotic (Bactrim) to help in the mean time. I took it for 13 days but then I started getting red itchy spots all over and it got worse and worse for 2 days. My neck and back were also extremely stiff. My Dr. told me to stop taking it and gave me a steroid to help with the rash.

My question is, since I had a bad reaction to Bactrim, is it more likely that I'll have a bad reaction to Accutane? Will I still be able to take it? I know of the Accutane side effects but I thought I wouldn't have too much to worry about since Ive never had a bad reaction to any drug..but now I'm worried.

Also, is it mandatory that I get on birth control? Cant I just say that I'm going to remain absinent (because that's what I plan on doing anyway.) the birth defects terrify me so much that I don't even want to risk it at all. Plus, my husband and I temporarily moved in with my parents to save for a house-there is no way I'd have sex in their house.we absolutely will not have sex for the next 5 months.

But my Dr. didn't even ask if I was active or not..she just said I need to get on BC. Then when the nurse came in she asked if I was active and I said "no, but the dr still referred me to an obgyn." I already have kid so maybe that's why she didn't ask? Anyway, if j just don't get on BC and go back and say that I'm going to stay abstinent, is that allowed? Or is it required for EVERyONE?

Hi, I can't answer your question about the allergic reaction, but I can tell you that my Derm is fine with me not being on any birth control while I'm taking accutane (granted im only 20 with no kids or a husband). I told her that I wasn't having sex and wasn't planning on it and she said that was fine, but if anything changed she could refer me to an OBGYN. It may be different depending on the derm, but I know that the ipledge system online is fine with me just entering abstinence.

Plus, my husband and I temporarily moved in with my parents to save for a house-there is no way I'd have sex in their house.we absolutely will not have sex for the next 5 months.

Poor husband lol.

But yes you can take accutane, it's a very different type of medicine than antibiotics.