Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amy91

I Need An Advice About My Diet.

Okay,so Like I said I am underweight! Height 5'8'', weight 110 lbs. I know it's nearly anorexic. And I need to gain AT LEAST 10 pounds. Now, the problem is the acne. I cannot eat whatever I want,whenever I want.I don't know how can I gain some weight, if almost everything is forbidden. I need an advice, if someone has a same type of problem, please give some responses. I really need to gain those damn 10 pounds, I look like an anorexic. crazy.gif

I hope I would not have to choose between HEALTHY SKIn and NORMAL WEIGHT.

Edited by amy91

PROTEIN SHAAAAAKE! Seriously, Isopure whey protein (lots of flavors) 1 scoop in the morning with water and another at night will help you gain body mass quick. This won't break you out or affect your acne in anyway since I have been having it for almost 2 years now. Don't have too much of it though, you can just start off with just 1 scoop daily, it's more than enough.

QUAAAAKER OAAATS! I know it tastes like plastic but if you get the variety pack, you'll survive. It's a good source of fiber and protein as well, it also helps with acne! (Just made that up)

YOGURT AND...STUFF! Yeah, I'll be honest here, I hate dairy products since it somehow affects my acne but this is your best way to gain weight without adding any nasty fat.

That's pretty much what I can think of from the top of my head right now. I know chicken, potatoes, rice and fish are amazing sources of protein and carbs, but you gotta' cook em and all so it takes time.

Cooking is not a problem for me. I just need to gain 10 lbs, but in a healthy way. With acne diets it's almost impossible to get normal amount of calories. But I am underweight, this is really annoying. I used to be a curvy girl, but with my diet I lost 25 pounds.

If it's possible, post daily menu. For breakfast,lunch and dinner. What should I eat and how much. Somebody,pleeeeaase.

Ahah :D agree, moonbase

If you wanna gain weight amy91, that's easy. Drink lots of home-made fruit juices with a few spoons of olive oil and some table sugar. This is the best way of gaining weight, because you will be supplying your stomach with lots of calories (and nutrients from juices) and very little fiber, so that YOU will FEEL able to consume that much calories.

For instance, a liter of orange juice with 60ml (4 tbsp) of olive oil has nearly 1000kcal. If you add some sugar, it will have even more!

You can do more calculations here: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-calcsimple.html

Good luck!

Hey Amy

I know first hand how hard it is to gain weight. I was 5'4 and weighed 98 to 103 pounds forever...until I had a baby (but thats a different story).

I wanted to gain weight so badly cause I looked so skinny and clothes just didn't fit me. I tried everything from a poutine diet (ohhh my arteries lol) to carb diet which was bad for my acne.

I thought about taking a protein shake but I read somewhere that those shakes can cause you to break out.

The only thing I can recommend is eating healthy snacks several times a day.

Eat protein morning, lunch and dinner. Eat lots of lean meats. Try avocados.

The trick is to eat several HEALTHY meals a day, including salads, nuts, protein etc.

One sure way to gain weigh...have a baby lol:)

*Moderator edit - URL removed - Read the board rules*

Engsisee, I can't read your post. And the links don't open (404 error). Please,retype your post!

I changed my diet someway. I eat 3 times a day. Before that I ate just twice a day, once in the morning (7:30),then dinner (5:30). After it I wouldn't even have any snacks. BTW it's a great method to lose weight,lol ( for overweight pple).

I found some healthy breakfast-lunch-dinner ideas in internet. I am not going to gain weight with junk food or with cakes/ice cream/chocolate bars ( it's the fastest way tho).

I want to do it healthy.

Depending on your financial situation, stock up on fatty foods - like nuts, avocados, coconut products and meat. Plan your meals around consuming plenty of those.

I'd stay clear of protein shakes as yes, they can cause acne. Fry some eggs in coconut oil for breakfast and eat an avocado on the side for breakfast, snack on nuts, eat lots of meat and veggies at lunch, snack on some more nuts, and try eating something of similar variety at dinner. Try chuggin' some coconut milk as well. And naturally, make sure you're getting an adequate amount of veggies.

Combine this with weight training of sorts to gain muscle.

I eat a ton of eggs, no negative effects! But probably don't eat more than 1-2 yolks a day. They're very high in cholesterol... an although new research shows that dietary cholesterol may have no affect on blood cholesterol, I just like to be on the safe side.

Whey protein breaks me out, too. So I'd steer clear of that.

Mainly, its just finding what breaks you out and keeping away from it. For me, dairy is the main culprit. I know a lot of people have major problems with soy... but soy doesn't break me out at all! So it just goes to show you that you have to find what works for you.

I'm (trying) to gain weigh right now on an acne-safe diet... here's what a day typically looks like for me:

Breakfast: Whole-grain cereal with blueberries and almond milk; egg whites with spinach

Lunch: Salad with spinach, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber (GOOD for skin!), tomato, olive oil/vinegar, turkey; carrot sticks with peanut butter

Dinner: Another salad with romaine and loads of other vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, bell peppers, okra, Brussels sprouts, water chestnuts, snap peas, whatever I have on hand!) and baked chicken breast, a whole grain roll

Dessert: Homemade vegan ice cream made with almond milk, tofu, banana, and whatever flavors I feel like... peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and cinnamon...

I've been eating that basically for 2-3 weeks now... and my acne's gotten loads better, and I've gained 1-2 lbs!

I need some powerful way to gain 10 pounds without getting ne breakouts. It seems like I cannot folllow any diet on this message board, becoz they simply do not provide enough calories, they just make u lose weight. If I need to get 3500 calories a day, then how am I suppose to do it with these fruit-veggy based diets?I think it's not possible.

Breakfast: 790 calories

Cook 1 cup dry old-fashioned oats in 2 cups unsweetened almond milk with 1 large apple, 1/4 cup raisins, and cinnamon to taste. Top with 2 tbsp almond butter.

Snack:482 calories

Dip 2 sliced carrots and 2 cups broccoli florets into 1/2 cup hummus. 1 hard-boiled egg on the side.

Lunch: 768 calories

Salad with 3 cups baby spinach, 1 sliced cucumber, 10 grape tomatoes, 1 sliced bell pepper, 1/2 sliced avocado, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, and 1 cup sugar snap peas. Top with 4 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, and 2 tbsp olive oil vinaigrette.

Snack: 430 calories

Smoothie with 1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk, and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk. Top with 1/4 cup granola.

Dinner: 704 calories

Bake 5 oz salmon, brushed with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Saute 4 cups mixed vegetables (such as broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.) in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. 1 large baked sweet potato on the side.

Snack: 340 calories

Pop 1/4 cup dry popcorn kernels. Top with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and spices of choice (cumin, salt + pepper, oregano, garlic, etc.)

Total: 3514 calories

See? Its NOT impossible to eat a healthy, high-calorie diet! There's a sample menu of an acne-safe diet for over 3500 calories. I don't know what foods you are sensitive too, so I excluded all the usual suspects. No dairy, no soy, no wheat. Its mostly fruits and vegetables with a good amount of healthy fats and protein. Hope it helps you!

Moonbase, thank you!

Marissa, you diet is good, except that I cut out milk. But thanks, anyways, I'll try to follow it.

Moonbase, thank you!

Marissa, you diet is good, except that I cut out milk. But thanks, anyways, I'll try to follow it.

There is no milk in the diet I posted... I don't eat any dairy either. I suggested almond milk and coconut milk. These are natural beverages made from strained almonds and coconut meat. No dairy.

Hi Amy91,

I know it can be really frustrating. For me, I cut out everything and then started eating one food a day. So I would introduce wheat and see what the reaction was. Next day it would be chicken. I kept a pretty detailed log of my acne and found my triggers (milk, sugar) in about a couple of weeks. I realized after a couple of months of avoiding those two, that I could eat them in moderation...a little bit of icecream, maybe a Coke once in a while and I wouldnt break out anymore. Maybe you could splurge on a hamburger once in a while?

Hey, Marissa, I still love you diet, but I read somewhere in this section that oatmeal breaks some pple out. Is it right?

Hi Amy91,

I know it can be really frustrating. For me, I cut out everything and then started eating one food a day. So I would introduce wheat and see what the reaction was. Next day it would be chicken. I kept a pretty detailed log of my acne and found my triggers (milk, sugar) in about a couple of weeks. I realized after a couple of months of avoiding those two, that I could eat them in moderation...a little bit of icecream, maybe a Coke once in a while and I wouldnt break out anymore. Maybe you could splurge on a hamburger once in a while?

Well, like I mentioned before male and female acne are sligtly different. The problem is that I can eat chocolate 5 days before my period and I will break out, but I can eat that same chocolate after my period ( or somewhere in the middle of the cycle) and It won't affect my skin at all. So I cannot really know what are my triggers.

Hi Amy91,

Well, like I mentioned before male and female acne are sligtly different. The problem is that I can eat chocolate 5 days before my period and I will break out, but I can eat that same chocolate after my period ( or somewhere in the middle of the cycle) and It won't affect my skin at all. So I cannot really know what are my triggers.

You can eat chocolate, just make sure it's real. No hersheys/other bars you'll see at a 7-Eleven counter. Cocoa is high in iron which is maybe why females crave it before their periods (a time where you lose lots of blood and therefore iron). Also I'm gonna guess you're not really into dark chocolate, otherwise I'd suggest that as it is high in antioxidants and is probably the best kind for you.

Hey, Marissa, I still love you diet, but I read somewhere in this section that oatmeal breaks some pple out. Is it right?

I personally have no problem with it, and its not a very common trigger from what I've read...

You're really going to have to find what triggers YOU. Bodies are so individual. What breaks you out might be different than what breaks me out. For instance, I'm sensitive to dairy and sugar, but have no problem with wheat or soy (which are two foods that are major acne triggers for some people.) It just takes some trial and error to figure it all out! Be patient and try eliminating and then adding foods back in one at a time.

By the way, you only break out from eating chocolate around your period but not at any other time of the month, you're probably NOT sensitive to chocolate. If its around your period, the breakout is probably caused by hormones, not what you are eating.

I personally have no problem with it, and its not a very common trigger from what I've read...

You're really going to have to find what triggers YOU. Bodies are so individual. What breaks you out might be different than what breaks me out. For instance, I'm sensitive to dairy and sugar, but have no problem with wheat or soy (which are two foods that are major acne triggers for some people.) It just takes some trial and error to figure it all out! Be patient and try eliminating and then adding foods back in one at a time.

By the way, you only break out from eating chocolate around your period but not at any other time of the month, you're probably NOT sensitive to chocolate. If its around your period, the breakout is probably caused by hormones, not what you are eating.

Yeah, I guess whatever I eat before those days I get pimples anyways. Even if I miss my dinner, lol. But anyways, thanks for responses!

From my recommendations...

That diet plan is not good at all! Way too much carbs and too few fat! Besides, fat is also very necessary to gain and maintain weight, as it was said before.

And too much protein, even for who wants to gain weight!

^^ Wheat, soy and dairy don't cause acne. A damaged body that has an inability to properly process them does.

That's not completely true. Our bodies aren't made to process those foods. In people with high sebum production they can more probably cause acne. Ofc overall health also plays a role here, or even "acne non-proneness"/"acne-outgrowing", stress, hormones, and other factors.

Reminding you, Amy91, that juices with fruit/nut oils would be a very effective option!

No, and no.

All 3 of those foods has been eaten for a very long time. Though they can be difficult to digest, eating them doesn't cause acne in a healthy body.