Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have 3 small closed comedones on my chin. i have done mandelic acid and glycolic acid peels to get rid of them but they are still there. is there another chemical peel i can try to get rid of them? i was going to try 12.5% tca but not sure if that would work.

I deal with a lot of closed comedones, and no they aren't milia. Closed comedones are very stubborn and resistant to chemical peels, largely because both mandelic and glycolic treat the upper-most layer of skin, and "closed" comedone implies they're a bit deeper than what those peels can reach.

The best method to get rid of them is typically by extraction, but there is a large debate as to whether this is good for the skin. A lot of european estheticians don't ever perform extractions, believing it can stretch and tear at the surrounding skin. Regular extractions, done poorly, and begin to break down collagen too. However, I have yet to go to an esthetician in California who doesn't perform extractions after a peel. It's a judgment call, really. You have to decide how resilient you think your skin is if you'd like to perform manual extractions.

If you were to leave the comedones alone, they would probably surface over time. Personally, I've never done TCA, but have had a lot of success with salicylic. AKA, TCA would probably carpet bomb those comedones. After that, your best bet would be looking at your topicals for comedogenic ingredients. That tends to be where most closed comedones come from.

Hope this helps. :)

hey thanks so much for the info. i was telling the lady at the medical spa i go to about this and she did suggest a salicylic acid peel i think about 20% but i do wonder if it would do anything for them. i have gotten tca peels at the place before and they did make my skin look really good but i didnt have any closed comedones at the time. it is odd because i have never had them in my life until recently and i havent changed products. i use olay regenerist cleanser, either the regenerist hydration cream or the day cream and my benzaclin. ugh stupid things!!! i wonder if i ask my derm if they would extract them. my skin usually heals fine as long as i dont pick at anything.

so i am going to a licensed esthetician on monday for a medical facial for the extractions. she said she will evaluate my skin first to ensure that these are in fact closed comedones and then proceed from there. they seem to have a lot of experience at this doctors office in doing these so hopefully everything will work out ok. i will keep you updated.

Edited by Karen Howz

I just had some milia removed and it was very painless and very effective. It only took a few days for them to heal right up. Glad I did it!

I just had some milia removed and it was very painless and very effective. It only took a few days for them to heal right up. Glad I did it!

thx for the info. i feel so much better about things now!! i was kinda worried they would scab up or something

Edited by Karen Howz