Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doozyjr

How Do You Guys Handle Your Oily Skin @ Work Or College/school

Do you wash your face every couple hours (without soap)? Use wipes? Would like to know so I could do the same since I don't really do anything about it.

Hey doozy! I was my face twice a day with face wash. Right before work (7:00 am) and right before bed (10:00 pm). And when I get oily I blot...usually twice a day too. I use the clean and clear blotting sheets. I think it's like 50 sheets for 7 bucks at target..there are other kinds of blotting sheet, but I like using that. And when I'm out, it may sound weird, but I hear the toilet sheets that you sit on in the restroom works the same as blotting sheets too! So if you wanna save some money, you can use that. Only in a trusted environment of course. :) hope this helps!

Got it! I'm gonna' go rub my face on toilet seats whenever possible. No but seriously, I am probably gonna' go buy those clean and clear blotting sheets after reading the reviews. Thanks.

I wash my face twice a day (morning and night) and then in the morning I apply a light powder before school. But OMG does my face get shiny...I'm talking reflective shiny. So what I do is use tissues to blot my face. I find they absorb oil really well. I simply just put 4-5 tissues in my bag for school and use them throughout the day whenever I need to. If I ever don't have tissues around I simply use toilet paper from one of the bathrooms. Haven't tried the toilet seat cover thing...lol...athough I am semi intrigued now lol.gif

i get shiny all day long while at work so i use paper towels to blot the oil. it really works and is much better than me applying powder or more makeup over top of it. i realized by doing that i was getting more zits.

I don't like to overwash my face, plus I wear makeup.

I don't bother with blotting sheets either - too small & too expensive.

Instead, I buy packs of facial tissue & keep one in my purse at all times. They do the job of gently absorbing excess oil without taking too much of my makeup off. If needed, I'll apply a light powder also, but that's only to replace rubbed off makeup. I don't apply powder unless I can blot first. It ruins my powder puff & makes me look cakey.

As for using the tissues....I tend to duck my face below the desk like I'm getting something out of my purse, and then I gently dab my face with a tissue. OR, when I have a moment I'll sneak off to the bathroom every now & then & blot my face in there. I'm increasingly shameless & tend to just look for moments when no one is watching me & blot below the desk - haha!

Edited by Siouxsie

why do i only get oily from 6ish till like 10ish....in the morning i'm not oily, and during the day i'm not oily? I don't understand this, also I have never been oily until the past 3-4months when i started an aggressive acne skin care regime.....i'm now off of everything and just using water and good shampoo.....also i only get oily from the temple up which is basicallly the hair line, could that be a coincidence?

i wash my face morning and night and also use the clean and clear blotting sheets throughout the day. nothing works better! i also used a translucent primer and powder made specifically for oily skin which helps too

if you wanna reduce the oil on your skin... you jsut gotta eat healthier man. Just gotta avoid those fried foods and bad carbs and sugar. Eat a lot of veggies and take multivits

And I use cetaphil...because it doesn't dry out my skin and it's just to wash away the oil and I do it morning and night.

Hey doozy! I was my face twice a day with face wash. Right before work (7:00 am) and right before bed (10:00 pm). And when I get oily I blot...usually twice a day too. I use the clean and clear blotting sheets. I think it's like 50 sheets for 7 bucks at target..there are other kinds of blotting sheet, but I like using that. And when I'm out, it may sound weird, but I hear the toilet sheets that you sit on in the restroom works the same as blotting sheets too! So if you wanna save some money, you can use that. Only in a trusted environment of course. smile.png hope this helps!

the clean & clear ones are the best! but you can use anything (as long as its clean of course) i use tissues and face a wall in the classroom so it looks like im wiping my nose haha

I use the Palladio blotting sheets because they have powder on them and I love that about them. They make me feel fresher than the Clean and Clear. You can't see the powder on your skin, but it produces a nice, matte finish. I fold one up (powder side in) and put it in my pocket. I simply unfold and blot anytime, anywhere... usually every couple hours.

my face used to be EXTEREMLY oily, but i changed my diet to veggies/meats/ healthy oils like olive,coconut/brown rice and i only wash my face at night, in the morning rinse with water and use moisturizer. Skin is ALOT less oily.

Also get this, i had a stomach bug and couldnt eat too much food for around 3-4 days the only food i ate were crackers/sardines/brown rice and water, my skin changed dramatically instead of being oily it was DRY. So whatever you eat definitely has an effect on your skin. And make sure you wash with warm water dont use hot or cold

i blot my face ALL the time!!

sometimes if i don't wash my face in the morning then it actually isn't as oily because my skin isn't overproducing to make up for the lack of oil. but i guess i shouldnt skip so much :P

Your skin doesn't "overproduce" oil to "make up" for having a lack of it because of washing it. It doesn't work that way.

I completely agree. I have read that the skin on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet does not have sebaceous glands; therefore, skin does not need sebum.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~humananatomy/part_1/chapter_4.html

Maybe hair needs sebum...

However, I do seem to be more oily when I wash more. Maybe washing removes skin that would cover up the oil?

You guys! Those clean & clear oil blotting sheets have MINERAL OIL in them!

I used to use them everyday, till i read the fine print. ELF has an oil free version, i switched to it and i noticed i stopped getting those little bump breakouts

Do you wash your face every couple hours (without soap)? Use wipes? Would like to know so I could do the same since I don't really do anything about it.

For a guy like you the answer is very simple. Look into a Makeup primer or mattifier. I have very oily skin and I am on the Regimen. I like to add the Murad Oil Control SPF 15 Mattifier at the end and it leaves me oil free for the whole day. It even works with makeup as a primer. Take a finger tip amount or smaller, Rub it in your finger tips and then dab it onto the skin, don't rub. Dab/pat it on your t-zone first then all over the face. It soaks all the bad stuff up and your matte for the day. I wash at 1am and 1 pm (because of work) and it lasts the whole time.

It's a little on the pricey side of things, but well worth it.

Good Luck!

...However, I do seem to be more oily when I wash more. Maybe washing removes skin that would cover up the oil?

I'm not completely sure why your skin would appear to be more oily when you wash more, although I suspect that one possible explanation is that when you wash a lot, it causes a lot of your skin to be exfoliated, leaving behind a smoother, more even layer of skin which gives the superficial appearance of being oilier, even if it's mainly just a tactile effect. You might test it more scientifically with something like Sebutape Skin Indicators, which aren't "fooled" by such issues as how smooth the skin is.

Back a few years ago when I did my own test of the "feedback theory", I spent a few days washing my skin vigorously several times a day, then spent several more days not washing it at all. When all was said and done, the Sebutape Skin Indicators showed no difference at all in how much sebum my skin was putting out at that location, whether I washed it or not. I bet if you tested it that way yourself, you would get the same result.

I too produce uncomfortable amounts of oil. So I make sure I wash my face right before leaving home, and I mean right. Long ago I tried putting light amounts of powder after washing it in the middle of the day. It removed the shine well enough, but it felt wrong. Clogging my pores? Tut tut shake.gif.

I live in a hot climate see, so while tissues did soak up some of the oil, there was just too much on my face to make a difference. I can keep going at it, but I'll still be left with a shine to rival a T-1000. I ask myself why. Besides, I have also have Dermographia, so I prefer not rubbing it till it swells. As for blotting sheets, I found them to be a complete waste of time, like a spoon to save a sinking ship.

If you ask me, I'll wash it two, three, four, or however many times it takes throughout the day to get it looking and feeling normal. Sometimes after washing (& doing my special exfoliating technique), it feels as if my skin has just been born.... I wonder if this is what normal people feel everyday... Once, my bro wiped his face clean & was good to go. I was this close to punching him.

Edited by UncleBob

Washing your face more than twice a day will make your oily skin worse (sorry Bryan). I take advantage of the brown paper towels in the colleges bathrooms.

I found it makes absolutely no difference how many times I wash my face, I seem to produce the same amount of oil. Once I even tried that silly "wash only with water" nonsense suggested on these boards long long ago. Did it for 3 weeks strict. You'd think my skin would "naturally" understand that it's supple enough to stop or reduce producing sebum, like many here seem to think it will. But guess what, it didn't do jack squat. Some kind of thick layer formed all over my face & ears, perhaps a combination of oil & dried skin, or something like that.

The day following this treatment, I washed it alllll away. Really disgusting and I had to really get my fingers working just to remove it all, whatever that was.

Washing your face more than twice a day will make your oily skin worse (sorry Bryan).

If that's really what you believe, then TEST that claim, and post the results here for everybody to see. That's what I personally did a long time ago: I did scientific tests using Sebutape Skin Indicators, then I scanned them myself, then I posted the results here on this forum, so that everybody could see the results with their own two eyes. Why don't YOU do the same? Considering all the scientific research on this issue that's been done over the years by doctors and scientists, that's the only way you'll convince me that your own skin becomes "oilier", if you wash it more than twice a day.