Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaliKisses

Low Progesterone Levels - What Do I Do Now?

So I had my blood levels tested and my progesterone level came back at .2, which is apparently pretty low. It's the level of a post menopausal woman and I am in my very early 20s! I'm going to get it tested again in a week or so to see where it's at and if it is drastically affected by my monthly cycle, but don't think there will be too big of a jump.

Now knowing my progesterone levels are low, and that this is associated with acne among some other issues I also have, where do I go from here in getting this "fixed"? Not too interested in taking synthetic hormones. In doing some research, it appears that micronized progesterone is a good option, or progesterone cream. I am more interested in safer, or more natural routes for this.

Any suggestions or experiences? Thank you!

I found that hormone treatments like birth control that contained more estrogen actually worsened my acne. Also, going off the pill worsened my acne as well. My mom is also sensitive to progesterone. I wonder what my progesterone levels are! :( Progesterone is the hormone that gets you pregnant...

I found that hormone treatments like birth control that contained more estrogen actually worsened my acne. Also, going off the pill worsened my acne as well. My mom is also sensitive to progesterone. I wonder what my progesterone levels are! sad.png Progesterone is the hormone that gets you pregnant...

Is progesterone the same thing as estrogen or similar to it? I've had numerous derms try to put me on BCP and I just won't do it. I came off of it about 8 months ago and my skin went nutso.

No progesterone and estrogen are different hormones, but work together to create/cause the womens cycle (period). There are different peakes of hormones during the month so that a woman ovulates (involing way more hormones that prog or estro).

I've been on birth control since I was about 12 years old or so. That may be a shock, but my mom knew what could happen so it was for prevention of acne. I didn't really think it made a difference, and I was tired of getting nauseated from the pill and having to take it every night. I HATE pills. Still do

In 2008-2009, when I was 18-19 I went off of birth control. My mom warned me all the time what would happen. It was a subtle downhill disaster. I just covered up with makeup and forgot about it, and kept ignoring my mom's warnings. My skin was so bad, covered in cysts, and horrible pustules all over my body, neck, shoulders, arms, back, EVERYWHERE. That is when I went back on birth control (but a different form than before), took accutane for 3 months at 20 mg/day, and all the acne on my body and face vanished (maybe a few breakouts on my chin). I continued on birthcontrol. My skin wasn't pimple free when I went off of accutane, but it transformed it and I had almost no scarring left from it.

My whole point in saying that is....I feel like since I went of birth control initially that year, my skin has never quite been the same. I've never struggled with acne so much, even 2 years post accutane. due to the wrong birth control and being uneducated in skin products, I had a HORRIBLE breakout again. In february, I switched back to my original bc that I used since I was very young, and it cleared up the cysts and what not. So.... I'm just warning you that your skin may continually get worse. Sorry to break it to you. Why do you not want to use birth control? I use it for no other reason than for acne. I'm not having sex nor plan to til I'm married.

oops I meant to say that taking bc that had higher levels of PROGESTERONE worsened my acne. Not progesterone.

No progesterone and estrogen are different hormones, but work together to create/cause the womens cycle (period). There are different peakes of hormones during the month so that a woman ovulates (involing way more hormones that prog or estro).

I've been on birth control since I was about 12 years old or so. That may be a shock, but my mom knew what could happen so it was for prevention of acne. I didn't really think it made a difference, and I was tired of getting nauseated from the pill and having to take it every night. I HATE pills. Still do

In 2008-2009, when I was 18-19 I went off of birth control. My mom warned me all the time what would happen. It was a subtle downhill disaster. I just covered up with makeup and forgot about it, and kept ignoring my mom's warnings. My skin was so bad, covered in cysts, and horrible pustules all over my body, neck, shoulders, arms, back, EVERYWHERE. That is when I went back on birth control (but a different form than before), took accutane for 3 months at 20 mg/day, and all the acne on my body and face vanished (maybe a few breakouts on my chin). I continued on birthcontrol. My skin wasn't pimple free when I went off of accutane, but it transformed it and I had almost no scarring left from it.

My whole point in saying that is....I feel like since I went of birth control initially that year, my skin has never quite been the same. I've never struggled with acne so much, even 2 years post accutane. due to the wrong birth control and being uneducated in skin products, I had a HORRIBLE breakout again. In february, I switched back to my original bc that I used since I was very young, and it cleared up the cysts and what not. So.... I'm just warning you that your skin may continually get worse. Sorry to break it to you. Why do you not want to use birth control? I use it for no other reason than for acne. I'm not having sex nor plan to til I'm married.

oops I meant to say that taking bc that had higher levels of PROGESTERONE worsened my acne. Not progesterone.

I actually don't want to use BC - I want to stay away from it for the reasons and experiences just like yours and like the one I went through. I also don't need it for pregnancy prevention at this time.

Do you know if your progesterone levels are high or low, or if you are just sensitive to it? I'm thinking of asking the doctor for the microionzed progesterone to see if this does anything for me. I have a lot of hair come out in the shower every morning, have had thyroid problems on/off, acne on/off since age of 14, have a history of depression, and dry eyes, which are all symptoms of low progesterone levels. That would be amazing if a single fix for low progesterone could be the remedy for all of this!

Have you not already been prescribed something?

Chasteberry vitex is supposed to boost progesterone by improving pituitary function. Eat, sleeping and managing stress right will also help. Consider adrenal health: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/page__view__findpost__p__2579438 . Don't smoke.

And then if that doesn't help, you could try natural progesterone cream from yams. Here's a thread on that if you want to read about other users experience:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/193268-update-progesterone-cream/ Try to avoid progestins which are synthetic.

Are you stressed? Do you sleep well?

Chasteberry vitex is supposed to boost progesterone by improving pituitary function. Eat, sleeping and managing stress right will also help. Consider adrenal health: http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2579438 . Don't smoke.

And then if that doesn't help, you could try natural progesterone cream from yams. Here's a thread on that if you want to read about other users experience:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/193268-update-progesterone-cream/ Try to avoid progestins which are synthetic.

I make it a point to get 8 hours of sleep every single night, but I do work full time at a stressful job and also attend school full time, so my stress level is pretty high (add the acne into that...and my stress level is through the roof!). I have an appointment for next Friday, so am researching into any options before then so I can come prepared to my doctor to let her know what I'm willing to try and not willing to try (such as synthetic hormones). I was looking into the Vitex and have read a few things about that....I may go pick that up also. Thank you for all the great links and info! :)

There is such a thing called progesterone cream and it is supposed to level out the balance between progesterone and endrogen. Check it out, you have to stay on a schedule but I've heard it often helps with acne in cases like yours.

Chasteberry vitex is supposed to boost progesterone by improving pituitary function. Eat, sleeping and managing stress right will also help. Consider adrenal health: http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2579438 . Don't smoke.

I make it a point to get 8 hours of sleep every single night, but I do work full time at a stressful job and also attend school full time, so my stress level is pretty high (add the acne into that...and my stress level is through the roof!).

Focus on that plus eating right. I'm not big into meditation as for me that's what taking a walk is for, but maybe with limited time a few minutes several times a day would be helpful? There are some suggestions here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/301548-autogenic-and-biofeedback/page__p__3137442#entry3137442

And do you actually sleep well during those 8 hours? Do you keep a regular sleep schedule?

I've tried so many things for acne caused by coming off the pill - most of them to do with diet/lifestyle changes. This has helped in terms of improved general health, but changes to the skin were not as dramatic as I'd have wanted. At the start of implementing various protocols the skin improved noticeably but after some time my skin carried on breaking out. I have been doing this for about 9/10 months and previous to that was always pretty healthy (low sugar, not much junk food etc).

However, what has really made a big change is 1) making my own cold cream which includes niacinimide. I use this to cleanse face morning and night (no water involved). This has helped so much and has really calmed things down and improved dark marks; and 2) have started using progesterone cream. This is bioidentical progesterone cream, not the stuff made from yams. The bioidentical cream, as the name suggests, is the same as that produced by your body. The stuff from the yams is NOT progesterone and will not have the same effect.

I have not had a test for progesterone and I think it's hard to measure this accurately as it will fluctuate very much during your cycle, or should do if your cycles are 'normal'. I have PCOS so this complicates things a bit. However, I had been on the BCP for over 20 years, non-stop with no break (except for a few months some years ago). Being on the pill for this long will mean that your body will not be producing progesterone (or maybe only a very little). This is because you are not ovulating. If you do not ovulate there is no unfertilised egg to release progesterone each month. Which means all the oestrogen your body is producing goes unopposed. Therefore you will be oestrogen dominant.

I really believe that for people like us affected by post-BCP acne (and I am in my late 30s) or 'hormonal' acne in general, that testosterone has nothing to do with acne at all (my testosterone levels were actually quite low and my acne at the time of getting tested was really severe). Oestrogen (at least for me) seems to be the enemy so will carry on applying the progesterone cream to see if this works.

I can't claim that this is my 'cure'...as yet...I have only been using it for a week. However, the quality of my skin during this time has improved A LOT in terms of dryness and resilience. I do not apply the cream to my face but to other areas of the body.

If you do go down this route there's a lot of info out there - make sure you read up about it before you start. Personally I apply shed-loads because if you only apply small amounts this activates the oestrogen receptors in your body making you more oestrogen dominant, which you want to avoid. Ideally you want to up your P levels quickly to overcome the oestrogen dominance so that you don't put on weight, feel crap etc.

Oestrogen symptoms (or lack of adequate P) included a lot of anxiety (never experienced this on BCP), dry eyes (very bad), sore muscles, tiredness, depression etc etc. Common symptoms of lots of health problems, I know, however they all became noticeeable after coming off the pill - I never had them while being on the pill, probably because progestin, the fake progesterone in pills, acts like progesterone in the body and masks them.

Anyway, I could write a ton more about it but don't want to hijack your thread. Keep us posted if you decide to try this!