Notifications
Clear all

Your Diet As A Child?....

MemberMember
(@ivy-2)

Posted : 10/11/2011 7:53 pm

I'v been wondering if how I ate as a child could be related to the acne I have now? I haven't looked up this information yet on google but I wanted some personal responses from people about what their diet was like as a child?

I personally didn't really eat well as a child, or as a teenager, my parents didn't seem to be very knowlegable of healthy eating or at least, conscious of the fact that they should have made me eat my vegitables as a child. I ate alot of white pasta, white bread, literally no vegitables if I could avoid it, alot of canned soups, salted white crackers, junk food like cookies, ice cream, chips, coke, ice caps, donuts, slushies etc....My diet was extremely high sugar, little nutrience dense foods, and alot of packaged processed crap.

I'm quite upset at the fact that my parents didn't enforce their authority more when it came to me eating healthy...they didn't force me to eat my vegitables (then again they mostly ate canned vegitables like peas, beets, creamed corn)...

as a child / teenager I was normally always tired and didn't understand how my friends had so much energy, but I didn't connect this to diet what so ever.

Now, although I ate alot of crap as a kid - I have never been over 100 pounds in my life, I currently am 90 pounds at the age of 21 and just recently gained 5 pounds due to me eating better. I think If I would have ate ALOT more vegitables as a child I would have developed to be alot more healthy looking and be a good weight.

so what was your diet like as a child and do you think it effected your acne later in life?

MemberMember
(@moonbase)

Posted : 10/11/2011 8:01 pm

Diet, beauty, and acne are largely connected. No question. How well you eat in your youth has a direct impact on your skin, hair and beyond. I cover this briefly in my thread. Bone structure, facial structure are all associated with proper nutrition.

For anyone out there that's looking to have children. the better you eat(during pregnancy and breast feeding), the more beautiful, smart, and well developed your child will be. The better you feed your child afterwords follows the same logic.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 10/11/2011 9:05 pm

I don't really remember, tbh. I do remember being weirded out when my friend's mom tried to feed me plain beans and when the same friend said "I had peanut noodles last night, it's like thai food" I remember thinking "omg...peanut....NOODLES?" I think I ate stuff like lasagna, canned soup, veggies, meats. I started getting acne around 13 or 14 though, which is also when I did a report on animal testing for school that made me decide to be a vegetarian. So there was a lot of soy introduced in my diet (mmm morningstar farms fake chicken nuggets...heated in a microwave, etc.) Reversing all those years of the nutrient lacking stuff I ate will probably take some time but it's not like anyone ever told me what was good to eat, you know? I think nutrition should be heavily emphasized in schools and by parents and not just the whole wheats, fruits & veggies, yadda yadda yadda spiel.

It's funny though, my mom is always lightyears ahead of me when it comes to spirituality, nutrition, you name it. I only recently started using coconut oil and other such products but at my mom's house I'd open the kitchen cabinet hundreds of times seeing a full jar of the stuff and think "huh. I wonder what's that for", grab some microwaveable chana masala, pop it in the zap box, and chow down thinking I was eating alright. I was thinking today though that it's not like I ate terribly the past year, every day at my last job I'd eat a tuna salad usually no dressing, sometimes the lunch special (which was salty/non organic, sure), cheese and broccoli soup, 2 cookies, and at least a kit kat bar. Every day. So it's mostly the sugar, cheese, and wheat that I've mostly cut out. I still like goat cheese and other high quality kinds on top of fish or a salad. But even the sugar is my weakness these days. ;(

MemberMember
(@dmb41)

Posted : 10/11/2011 9:07 pm

I agree with this, but I would like to see some sort of research behind it.

I worked at McDonald's starting when I was 16, and combined with eating it everyday, to being engulfed in grease for hours everyday, definitely contributed to my skins demise.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 10/11/2011 9:55 pm

I pretty much avoided most fruits and vegetables like the plague, with the exception of corn, potatoes, you know, S.A.D. I ate fast food a lot, every kind. Seeing as my family seems to have a genetic tendency when it comes to bad diet and acne, with relatives having cystic acne well into their late twenties early thirties, I'm sure my poor diet led to acne, and would have led to the complications they're facing like type 2 diabetes and various inflammatory conditions. I only started eating oranges more because I could tolerate the taste back then, and thought it was good for me because of some broken "how to be healthy" kinda book that didn't address intolerances. Not until the recent months have I really started taking it seriously, and my skin is definitely showing it.

MemberMember
(@ivy-2)

Posted : 10/12/2011 2:05 pm

Diet, beauty, and acne are largely connected. No question. How well you eat in your youth has a direct impact on your skin, hair and beyond. I cover this briefly in my thread. Bone structure, facial structure are all associated with proper nutrition.

For anyone out there that's looking to have children. the better you eat(during pregnancy and breast feeding), the more beautiful, smart, and well developed your child will be. The better you feed your child afterwords follows the same logic.

Interesting. My mother smoked while she was pregnant and I am sure she probably didn't eat all that great unless the doctors actually told her to. Luckily I wasn't breastfed so that probably saved me from taking in all that toxic crap for another couple of months after being born, lol.

My nails and hair are perfectly fine, I get compliments all the time about my hair...it's my skin thats the issue lol.

I have also been smoking for the last 2.5 years and particuarly in the last year is when my skin went down hill with cystic acne...and quitting has not been an easy road, and i'v definately tried to quit the last two months, but my will power is weak =/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/12/2011 6:25 pm

Better than average, especially compared to kids today. We weren't fed much kiddie food. We had a lot of veggies. We had a garden. I'm sure there were veggies I didn't like, but I can't remember any. I always loved broccoli. And while we had things like kraft mac & cheese and hamburger helper, My mother never considered mac and cheese an acceptable main dish. But then, it probably replaced a veggie. And to this day my mother doesn't know what to do with yellow crook neck squash except boil it or coat it with cornmeal and fry it. Which is what she always did with eggplant and white patty pan squash. We probably had a lot of fish sticks.

We weren't given much sweets, but we had cool-aid. And my mother is a coke-a-holic and we always had coke. Although when I was a kid it didn't come in 2 liter bottles for 99 cents. That didn't happen until I was a teen. And of course we had sandwiches in our school lunches along with a small handful of chips and a couple of cookies. As opposed to the bag fulls that other kids got.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/13/2011 2:26 pm

Also, how your mother ate while you were in the womb and how you ate as an infant affect your for the rest of your as certain genes get 'turned on or off' to oversimplify. Many people are diabetes bound from birth. That's why both high and low birth weights are significant.

MemberMember
(@ivy-2)

Posted : 10/13/2011 9:53 pm

Also, how your mother ate while you were in the womb and how you ate as an infant affect your for the rest of your as certain genes get 'turned on or off' to oversimplify. Many people are diabetes bound from birth. That's why both high and low birth weights are significant.

Not sure what my mother ate like, but I know when I was a baby, she recently told me she fed me alot of custard because I "didn't like" vegitable baby food....going to have to ask her specifically, if that's ALL I was fed as a baby...hopefully not. Angry at my parents for not feeding me properly.

MemberMember
(@bicpro)

Posted : 10/13/2011 10:39 pm

My diet was terrible. Explains why I'm butt ugly then.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/14/2011 9:48 am

Not sure what my mother ate like, but I know when I was a baby, she recently told me she fed me alot of custard because I "didn't like" vegitable baby food....going to have to ask her specifically, if that's ALL I was fed as a baby...hopefully not. Angry at my parents for not feeding me properly.

My parents didn't have much money so I think they probably pureed food rather than purchased baby food. And I know we were breastfed. And my mother never smoked and has never been a drinker. And she is a picky eater but not one of those that won't eat anything green so I think she ate relatively well. There's actually no rhyme or reason besides what she will and won't eat. I know she grew up on cabbage and sauerkraut. And I think she always liked to walk so hopefully she spent time outdoors and wasn't severely deficient in D.

MemberMember
(@niall-2)

Posted : 10/20/2011 7:28 am

Hmm interesting i was wondering this several years ago when i first got acne.

But i always remember eating extremely clean in my younger years (very little junk). However from say 11+ i have eaten LOTS of junk food. Now i am nearly 18 i do not eat junk food.

I do not think there is a correlation.

In my opinion acne is just genetic, if you can become clear through diet, your previous diet must have been VERY poor. I eat a perfect diet every day, drink 1-2 gallons of water a day, exercise twice a day, and take many diff "acne" supplements, yet my acne is just as consistent as it was when i was eating pizza and chocolate all day. I eat healthily for many other reasons besides skin.

Even people who "cure" their acne through diet are never fully "cured", since if they revert back to anything less than 100% healthy food they will breakout. It is kind of like putting a bandaid on an extremely severe cut, it stops the bleeding whilst its on, but as soon as you take it off it will bleed again.

Those who suffer from acne just have inferior skin genetics.

Just my 2cents

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/20/2011 11:33 am

In my opinion acne is just genetic, if you can become clear through diet, your previous diet must have been VERY poor.

Wrong. It is not 'just genetic' any more than diabetes, heart disease, cancer and the many other diseases get. Genetics count for about 30% of the risk, the rest is what you do to yourself and that includes diet. Genetics also aren't as simple as you think. Genes get turned on and off (phenotypes), often by the things you do. And you can pass things you caused in yourself on to your kids without actually altering your genetic code. That's called epigenetics.

Also I cleared my skin via diet and my prior diet was not 'very poor' according to most people's standards. It was better than the average Amarican's diet, although that isn't saying much. We are given so much false information about nutrition that few people grasp how bad the typical diet is. Many common dishes/meals considered to be 'wholesome' and not junk, are in fact junk.

Even people who "cure" their acne through diet are never fully "cured", since if they revert back to anything less than 100% healthy food they will breakout.

Obviously. When you go back to the habits that lead to the health condition, the health condition will come back. There are very few cures for anything. I don't know why people think there are. Name something that has been cured.

Also, I keep my skin pretty clear while not eating 100% healthy food all the time. I just eat mostly very well. A slice of pizza in an otherwise nutrient dense diet doesn't cause a pimple to form. Routinely eating things like pizza in a pretty nutritionally void, high glycemic diet causes acne. And chocolate doesn't cause acne either. High glycemic diet habits cause acne. I eat chocolate every day. Low sugar chocolate in small amounts to minimize the glycemic impact.

It is kind of like putting a bandaid on an extremely severe cut, it stops the bleeding whilst its on, but as soon as you take it off it will bleed again.

No, it's absolutely nothing like that analogy because the diet habits that clear skin prevent most of the other health conditions that this sickly culture suffers from. It's how humans should eat. And we don't necessarily have inferior genetics. There could be a very good reason for it. For example, people prone to diabetes are better adapted to survive famine.

And have you determined if you have any food intolerances that could be causing your acne despite your 'perfect' diet? I have one that caused my severe cystic acne. If I hadn't figured that out first, I would have thought my later diet changes had little effect, because although my diet reduced oiliness and most other acne, I'd still have these huge cysts which were obviously the what bothered me the most. Fortunately, I figured it out, by luck, years earlier. Other people should try a methodical elimination diet.

MemberMember
(@breadisacne)

Posted : 10/20/2011 11:45 am

Hmm interesting i was wondering this several years ago when i first got acne.

But i always remember eating extremely clean in my younger years (very little junk). However from say 11+ i have eaten LOTS of junk food. Now i am nearly 18 i do not eat junk food.

In my opinion acne is just genetic, if you can become clear through diet, your previous diet must have been VERY poor. I eat a perfect diet every day, drink 1-2 gallons of water a day, exercise twice a day, and take many diff "acne" supplements, yet my acne is just as consistent as it was when i was eating pizza and chocolate all day. I eat healthily for many other reasons besides skin.

Even people who "cure" their acne through diet are never fully "cured", since if they revert back to anything less than 100% healthy food they will breakout. It is kind of like putting a bandaid on an extremely severe cut, it stops the bleeding whilst its on, but as soon as you take it off it will bleed again.

Just my 2cents

Are you kidding me? The point is that you never stop eating healthy. You claim to eat healthy, but if your acne hasn't cleared up you're not doing it right.

Acne is only genetic because humans have evolved to cope with garbage diets. Those who didn't get acne while eating garbage in the past were more likely to reproduce, while eating garbage. People like me are descended from obviously some race which didn't eat bread, dairy, or processed food. I used to think diet and acne weren't related, now i realize that if I have one cup of yogurt I am going to get two zits, and in the same spot they always come in. When I eat bread, I get zits in one spot, dairy in another. I f#$#@ing HATE the food industry for turning out the garbage they do. We as a society need to eliminate bread, dairy and all the processed garbage food. My skin is now 99% clear due to my improved diet, but if I eat one piece of pizza or have one coffee or one cola I will instantly get a zit. Pisses me off... why cant my #$#@ing body just handle it? but oh well... looks like I'll just have a boring diet for the rest of my life.

Good for skin:

Carrots!

Brocolli!

Asparagus!

lean red meat (rich in zinc and b vitamins, protein)

lean chicken (no skin, not fryed)

Bad:

Whole grain bread

any bread

...bread...

bread

dairy

sugar

fast food

Oh and I work at a library, I recently had someone return some book about eating healthy, and I was surprised to see on the list of conditions which diet affects there was "acne" (brand new book) Kudos to that doctor for putting that in the book. but then again he also puts, "whole grains" which I think even whole grains are #@$#ing garbage for those with acne.

MemberMember
(@niall-2)

Posted : 10/21/2011 2:36 am

Please.. if diet clears you up then be thankfull.

I wish that i could be clear from something so simple. I have tried eating "perfect" diets many, many times. And although it may give me other health benefits it never clears my acne. However there has also been times where i eat bread, pasta, rice, even some junk occasionally and i am clear. For me it is just random.

MemberMember
(@elfgirl)

Posted : 10/21/2011 7:36 am

We ate well when I was growing up. Fruits and veggies, lean meats whole wheat bread, vitamins. Rarley did we have fried anything or soda, candy or junk food. McDs was not in the picture and when we did eat "fast food" I was never allowed to order soda or ice cream. My mom always made homemade cookies or cake once in a while. Christmas or Thanksgiving was when she would bake and it really wasn't a lot and my sister and I weren't allowed to eat too much of the sweets. So basically we had a good diet but I have acne and my sis doesn't . So don't know how to explain that one. Elf

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/21/2011 10:53 am

Please.. if diet clears you up then be thankfull.

I wish that i could be clear from something so simple. I have tried eating "perfect" diets many, many times. And although it may give me other health benefits it never clears my acne. However there has also been times where i eat bread, pasta, rice, even some junk occasionally and i am clear. For me it is just random.

That isn't random. I eat bread, pasta rice and even some junk occasionally and I stay clear too. An occasional dish of pasta doesn't cause acne. Except in the case of food intolerances, it's the habitual consumption high glycemic, inflammatory and trans fat meals and drinks and lack of nutrients that mess up hormones and cause chronic inflammation that cause acne.

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 10/21/2011 1:39 pm

As a child, the wangod would normally eat anything soft on the carpet/streets/etc. including but not limited to earthworms, ants, bugs, bread crumbs, fabric, mud, dirt, pizza, mice, boogers, ear boogers, eye boogers, blood, cat food, candy, chocolate, cheese, mice. Ok ok.. lied about one of these....

No I do think it affected the wangod later in life regarding acne.

However, as a pre-teen - teenager... but you didn't ask that question...

MemberMember
(@electthedead01)

Posted : 10/21/2011 7:19 pm

I ate horrible as a child :0

Cookies, candy, soda, more candy, candy, mcdonalds, jack in the box, shit shit shit.

I should've know it would've caused me acne as a teen.

I ate horrible as a child :0

Cookies, candy, soda, more candy, candy, mcdonalds, jack in the box, shit shit shit.

I should've know it would've caused me acne as a teen.

MemberMember
(@riveragolden)

Posted : 10/22/2011 7:39 am

Well it can be possible that diet as a child affect now...As your diet was extremely high sugar, little nutrience dense foods, and alot of packaged processed crap,so it can be possible...

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 10/22/2011 10:38 am

This diet thing to treat Acne had me thing. My dad is 1 of 16 kids, he is 15 and #16 were the only 1's to have Acne. They grew up on a farm in upstate NY in the 40's/50's. What kind of "processed food" and other junk do you think they consumed to cause Acne? Acne has been around longer than our poor eating habbits have. That being said, the only think that gives me blemishes is Vit C. Build up my immune system and get Acne, how ironic.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/23/2011 2:08 pm

coca cola? Campbells soup? bread? Cake? Cookies? ice cream? You'll have to ask him. Maybe the little ones were spoiled. I think drinking coca cola has by far the biggest impact on my acne.

And does vitamin C give you acne or citrus fruits?

MemberMember
(@olympusmons)

Posted : 10/23/2011 3:10 pm

I always ate absolutely horribly as a kid! I was raised by my grandparents, and my grandpa would always take me out for a walk in the town and every 5min we stopped to buy me some jelly gums, chocolate bar, candy bar, cake, ice cream, and other kind of processed-packed-full-of-additives-sweets!!... And I also used to eat candies all day long, and a LOT! I mean, a BIG LOT! I don't even know how I always was just a little overweight and didn't get diabetes, really!

Yet I never got that much acne in my teen years. Got some mild acne a few times, that quickly vanished. But when I got my whole face burned, at the age of 18 (2 years ago) I got a really fragile facial skin, plus in the first months I smeared some full-of-chemicals-moisturizer over my face every 2 hours, like cement, and I got the next year always full of acne wounds all over my face. Then I discovered Wai Diet, which also taught me to wash face only with low mineral bottled water, and acne vanished completely in 2 weeks, and my skin went gradually becoming stronger and thicker (time also plays a role here, ofc) and also got rid of eczema, and a few months after starting diet never had dry and super sensitive facial skin again, which was always the main factor for my wide acne breakouts and some few eczemas.

But after all, it's clearly true that if you eat bad as a kid it will influence your body and health forever, so it can also make you more likely to have acne, just like a lot of other diseases. But in acne you're always at time to stop it forever if you cut out what causes it - (Wai) diet, no alcohol, no drugs/medicines, no (harsh) chemicals in your face, no harsh (tap) water in your face, not messing with hormones.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 10/23/2011 3:14 pm

How about fresh vegetables, milk straight from the cow, home cooked meals everyday, ect... 16 kids and life on a farm does not give them many opportunities to enjoy soda/store bought junk foods, ect... And having a mother who didn't like kids made those opportunities even less. As for Vit C, oranges, orange juice, & Vit C supplements all do it for me. I'm not much of a fruit/vegetable eater so that's the only 3 things I've tried.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/23/2011 3:24 pm

Oh my gosh, my diet as a child...... It was a disaster!! I did eat anything that has tons of sugars, carbs, fats and other unhealthy things. I would never eat enough veggies or fruits. It was "boring food" for me. PIzza and burgers every day, soda 2-3 times a day, chocolate bars,cakes and cupcakes. My skin was clear, so I had no idea what acne is. I've never been overweight tho ( no more than 125-130lbs).

I would never think that i'm goin' to suffer from skin problems , I'd love to go back and tell myself what I know now,lol. I guess my diet as a child played a huge role in my acne forming ( but I also have hormonal imbalance, and genetic factors).

It's just ridiculous how unhealthy foods are more delicious than healthy foods. And I'm having really miserable times now, when I have to avoid all of my fav foods.