Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starbunny

Starbunny's Regimen Log

I started a sort of revised version of the Regimen using the closest products I could find to Dan's at Walgreen's/CVS/Walmart/Target/whatever. I have mild (and I mean MILD) acne. To me, it's the worst thing in the world, but compared to my many fellow acne sufferers, I have it good. Anyway, I wanted to keep a log for those who maybe have mild yet stubborn acne and want to see how this may work on them. First, a few things you may need to know.

About Me

I am a seventeen year old girl with fair to light skin. I live on the Gulf Coast in the United States so most of the year is hot, humid, and just plain awful. I have better than average American diet. I don't drink caffeine and try to get vegetables and fruits in as much as I can. I play volleyball and have 2 hour volleyball practices twice a week, and games and tournaments at varying times throughout the month. I have an average stress level for a high school senior.

My Acne

As I said before, I have very mild acne. I have oily/combination skin. My acne occurs only on my chin and sometimes on my forehead right in the middle. I have some blackheads on my nose. My cheeks and temples are virtually poreless. I've had this kind of acne for probably 9 or 10 years. I was quite oblivious to it in my elementary and early middle school years but around 8th grade, it really started becoming my enemy. My mom had (and still struggles with) some of this same kind of acne and my dad had acne as a teen but grew out of it. I've tried washes, scrubs, moisturizers, creams, masks. and even had some topical medication prescribed early on by a dermatologist. It's been so long ago now, I can't remember what exactly they had my slathering on my face, but I do know it burned.

My Products

As I mentioned before, I want to try these 'generic', if you will, products before ordering Dan's or possibly trying the dermatologist route again. I am trying to keep the basic principles of the Regimen as well.

Cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

BP - AcneFree Terminator (5% Benzoyl Peroxide Cream)

Moisturizer - Clean & Clear Oil-free Dual Action Moisturizer

I'm writing this first entry after my first full day on the (sort of) Regimen.

Day 1

I started last night with my products. I did an application last night, one this morning, and one about 30 minutes ago.

My skin doesn't feel dry or look red barely at all. I have no new acne since yesterday. The blackheads around and on my nose have reduced significantly. The bumps on my forehead have flattened and the marks are lightening a bit. I still have many whiteheads on my chin and the old acne marks are still quite prevalent. There are no blackheads on my chin anymore, which is a good sign that this stuff is doing something.

If you have any advice, suggestions, or encouragement, please post!

Edited by starbunny

Thanks! and good luck with your Regimen experience. Do you have a log I could follow?

Day 2

Just finished my nightly routine. I did it a little early today because 1) I wore full coverage makeup today for picture day and I could feel it sticking to my pores and 2) I'm not going anywhere so I might as well get it out of the way.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. My face feels a little itchy and appears a little red like a slight sunburn. It also is a little painful on my cheeks (closer to the middle) and around my lips. This is probably from using too much or getting too close too the delicate skin under my eyes and on my lips or possibly a combination of the two. As far as acne, I can feel one coming on my left side of my chin. The red marks from previous acne are fading. I think this may be due to no picking for a full 48 hours so far (I'm so proud of myself). Still many tiny stubborn bumps on my chin but less blackheads. As a mentioned, I wore full coverage makeup today which I don't normally do. It was a little difficult getting it off. I used a baby wipe before using the Cetaphil wash. If ya'll have any makeup removing tips while on the Regimen, I would love to hear them. I'm watching the Disney movie, Mulan right now and it just passed the part where she wipes all that makeup off on her sleeve and it comes off perfectly. lol A happy coincidence... Anyway, thanks for reading and keep me updated on your Regimen progress too!

Edited by starbunny

Day 5

I've had several large bumps start to emerge over the last few days - three on my chin and one on my cheek. Two of the ones on my chin are already in the 'healing stage' and the other on my chin and the one on my cheek are still early and under the skin. I don't have any blackheads whatsoever, so that is a plus. I stopped putting the BP above my lips because it was drying out my lips and I don't normally get acne there anyway. I used BP only in the evening today because my lips and around my mouth were so dry. It's not so bad now, but my chin is pretty flaky. Overall, the results are still promising.

Day 17

I haven't updated ya'll in a while, but I have been keeping up with the Regimen quite well considering my busy schedule. I've been traveling a lot for volleyball so that has posed its challenges when it comes to ensuring a constant routine in my skin care. I haven't gotten to all the steps every single day, but if nothing else, I make sure I do the 3 steps at least once a day and always wash my face twice a day. Flakiness has decreased significantly and my complexion actually looks nice. I still have several new bumps per week but they are never inflamed and rarely even red. They're just bumps localized on my chin and, to a lesser extent, between my eyebrows. I don't know if this is attributed to the more gentle products or what, but my face looks like the same color as the rest of skin for once. I've also found it easier to reduce and even stop picking because 1) there isn't much there to pick, and 2) I actually have confidence in the Regimen that it will take care of those bumps for me and I don't need to squish my face to get the 'goop' out. That's really it. I still have acne but I can still see improvements every week so I'm going to keep at it.

Day 26

It's been about a week since my last post. My skin is significantly less red and irritated than when I started. My skin is definitely getting used to the BP so I've upped the amount a bit. I've been taking it a bit slower than the regimen suggested but it seems to be working for me. I only have 4 actives on my face right now and they aren't all that noticeable. The usual spot on my chin is acting up but nothing that can't be covered. The acne marks on my chin are fading nicely and really the rest of my face is better than I could have hoped for at this point. Still going strong and hoping to be 100% clear by, say Christmas? I think that's do-able at this rate. I hope you all are having good luck with your acne fighting adventures and I'll update again soon!

Day 36

Happy 11/11/11 everybody! I since my last post, my face actually broke out like crazy for the first time since starting the regimen. It's clearing up now but boy, was I freaking out. However, besides acne marks and 1 or 2 actives, I'm actually clearer than ever right now. Still going strong into month 2. I've also been getting more dry lately. I think it's because I wasn't doing the entire regimen twice a day before for about a week because I was out of town and just didn't feel like it, which it probably the cause of my breakout, but whatever. Anyway, I think that is all I have for now. Have a good weekend!