Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
borie88

Want Grass Fed Beef To Be Cheaper? Get Rid Of Corn Subsidies.

Most of us know the benefits of grass fed and organic meats, but many of us find that they cannot afford to eat organic at many meals, while grain fed meat is much cheaper and preferable to one on a limited budget. A new farms bill is coming up soon, so I found a petition that calls for the end to corn subsidies. This would in effect drive the price of corn up to the point where it would be preferable for farmers to have their animals eat naturally as it should be (not accounting for soy, which I hope would not be the alternative feed.) As a bonus, high fructose corn syrup and random corn ingredients in processed foods would most likely disappear.

I didn't start the petition, I just found it on WH.gov, but I know many of us would like organic foods and to be able to buy them at a cheaper price. It needs almost 5,000 sigs by the end of this month to go public, so if you are interested, sign it!

Here's the link https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/eliminate-all-forms-corn-subsidies/DWlDF8fR

It takes 2 mins to sign.

There are other petitions from other organizations some targeting different components of the farm bill and other things to do with our agriculature and industrialized food. Find and sign as many as you can. I made a thread about the farm bill months ago and have links to at least 2 petitions there.

http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by alternativista

Also write to your congressmen.

This won't just produce healthier food for us, it will help the environment in many ways. The corn industry is extremely damaging. It's a low yield per acre crop that requires tons of nitrogen. Nitrogen that, along with phosphorous another fertilizer, runs off into our water ways and causes algae blooms and dead zones. I just spent the summer in Wisconsin and it thousands of lakes. They had warnings about algae in the paper all the time. And there's a huge dead zone in the Gulf from the fertilizers and crap that washes down the Mississipi. And we already dump tons of nitrogen into the waterways from our urine which is full of the things plant on land need to grow but causes undesirable growth in the water.

Also, the hooves of these animals walking around in the prairie breaking up soil also does something. I can't remember what. And I think that grass fed cows produce less methane which is one of the worst greenhouse gases.

Edited by alternativista

Strange, I live by lake ontario and half the time the beach is closed or stinky due to high algae and bacteria levels. might be the same cause!