Retin A And Facials...

Notifications
Clear all

Retin A And Facials?

MemberMember
(@marym17)

Posted : 10/10/2011 1:54 pm

I'm turning 27 this November and started using Retin A maybe 4 months ago. I had moderate acne as a teenager from 12-17 and then it started to clear up as I got older. As of a year ago, my skin started to go back to how it was when I was a teenager. I had some unrelated problems and thought it was hormonal (didn't get my period for a few months and my migraines became more frequent), but my doctor determined that it was most likely stress induced (had a ton of blood work all came out healthy).

She put me on Retin A which has helped. Of course the first month though my skin would have huge white flakes on my skin and get worse throughout the day, but there has been improvement.

With using Retin A (not on on Retin A Micro), does getting once a month acne facials help with the greasiness and with the pore size? I wasn't sure if getting acne facials would help speed up progress, or if it really isn't necessary when being on Retin A. My mother is convinced that getting an acne facial once a month would be helpful in addition with being on Retin A, but if it won't make any difference, I would rather save $52.50 a month!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@may853)

Posted : 10/11/2011 7:49 pm

I wonder about this too. I hope someone knows.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 10/11/2011 10:07 pm

I think that a facial will really take your skin to the next level. I am esthetician, and I am also on Differin (a retinoid) and I still get facials. Nothing compares to professional grade treatments. A lot of the masques and exfoliants and serums used during facials are professional use only. As long as you tell your esthetician that you are on Retin-A, he or she should be able to customize a great facial for you. I wouldn't necessarily recommend an acne facial. That might be overkill. For my client I'd probably do an organic facial with an acne mask to balance and reduce pore size and inflammation.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 10/12/2011 8:09 pm

My derm put me on Differin, Retin-A and Adapalene( a newer type of retinoid). After using all 3 (not at the same time) over a year, I noticed little to NO improvement at all on my oilyness,pore size. My acne did subside but I was also on prescribed 5% BP. When the derm took me off the BP but left me on the Differin and Retin-A my acne came back about a month later. So I have come to the conclusion that all 3 are useless for MY skin personally. I'll stick with the BP.

As for facials.... I have never had a professional facial done but I highly doubt that ANYTHING aside from laser will help with enlarged pores. I have tried anything and everything to help my oilyness and and pore size.... spending ALOT of money and in the end, nothing helped. I don't believe in any cream,lotion,miracle product that you can apply to your skin that will literally shrink pores, its unrealistic, and if it was that easy, everyone would have poreless skin. My derm, (who is on a short list of "Americas Top Doctors" and was involved in a few breakthrough studies of dermatology) told me to come in for Cynosure or Affirm Multiplex Laser which does wonders for enlarged pores, aging, wrinkles and even acne scars. I go in tomorrow for my 1st of 6 treatments so I'll keep everyone posted.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 10/12/2011 10:56 pm

I've actually seen many people in my life benefit from good skincare when it comes to pores. There's no miracle involved, it's ingredients that work. If your pores are enlarged, they will remain so (unless laser MAYBE works) but you can definitely minimize their appearance greatly with the right skincare routine and habits. Eradicating enlarged pores isn't possible, making them far less noticeable is definitely possible.

MemberMember
(@nomorelaser)

Posted : 10/15/2011 3:34 pm

I have had weekly facials for almost 10 years and results have always been temporary. Spent atleast 500~1000 dollars a month. I have tried fraxel, blu-u, isolaz, microdermabration, vibraderm, gobayashi, ........... glycolic acid peels.. You name it I have tried it.

I honestly looking it on the long run think it's a waste of money. Unless you are purging really bad from Retin-A I would just be patient with Retin-A. Also, if you are still oily from Retin-A, I would ask your derm to give you retin-A Gel instead of the cream for your acne. If you are still oily you probably need to up your dosage. or simply apply more than a pea-sized amount.

After being on Retin-A for 10 months, it has done what fraxel has done in the past with helping of pore size, regulating oil glands, and diminishing acne scars. I highlly recommend just being patient with Retin-A. the results are so slow it's almost unnoticiable for you and also very frustrating, but after about 6 months you'll be so happy you stuck with it.

MemberMember
(@estee-goddess)

Posted : 09/02/2015 9:21 am

I started getting acne when I was 14 years old, I thought it was just normal and also hereditary. Years went on and I started developing cystic acne, it got so bad that I now have acne scars!!! My first instinct was to cover it up, but it only made it worse, I started to clear up and now I rarely get a pimple. I did not know anything about acne I just wanted it to magically go away, I started getting facials with micro and peels, they seemed to work. I started getting compliments, then I just stopped because my Esthetician decided to be a stay at home mom so I quit too. I am now in school to become an Esthetician. It is mandatory to be the guinipig and get facials on a weekly basis!! I noticed my skin is getting better, I also decided to go to my dermatologist to check a mole and I asked him about my acne scaring and what can we do to improve the acne scarring, he said I can do Micro, peels, laser but there is down time with laser, he also recommended Retin A. I told him I would think about it. So a month later I called and asked him to fill my RX. I started using it and have been using it for about a month and I must say that I am seeing a lot of improvement. I would also like to add that facials are not a waste of money, if you have the time and patience it really does help with enlarged pores, some people may have clogged pores and that does lead to and make your pores enlarged, I had what you call a desincrustation done on my nose and cheek areas and let me tell you Even though you cannot see that you have blackheads they are there, but when I had this done, it took about 3 days for me to see a difference and my pores were amazingly smaller, if you keep your pores clear of oil dirt dead skin cells your pores will reduce in size because the pores are clear. Be patient and it will work. Unless you have an unlimited amount of money to spend, patience is your best bet.

MemberMember
(@estee-goddess)

Posted : 09/02/2015 9:21 am

I started getting acne when I was 14 years old, I thought it was just normal and also hereditary. Years went on and I started developing cystic acne, it got so bad that I now have acne scars!!! My first instinct was to cover it up, but it only made it worse, I started to clear up and now I rarely get a pimple. I did not know anything about acne I just wanted it to magically go away, I started getting facials with micro and peels, they seemed to work. I started getting compliments, then I just stopped because my Esthetician decided to be a stay at home mom so I quit too. I am now in school to become an Esthetician. It is mandatory to be the guinipig and get facials on a weekly basis!! I noticed my skin is getting better, I also decided to go to my dermatologist to check a mole and I asked him about my acne scaring and what can we do to improve the acne scarring, he said I can do Micro, peels, laser but there is down time with laser, he also recommended Retin A. I told him I would think about it. So a month later I called and asked him to fill my RX. I started using it and have been using it for about a month and I must say that I am seeing a lot of improvement. I would also like to add that facials are not a waste of money, if you have the time and patience it really does help with enlarged pores, some people may have clogged pores and that does lead to and make your pores enlarged, I had what you call a desincrustation done on my nose and cheek areas and let me tell you Even though you cannot see that you have blackheads they are there, but when I had this done, it took about 3 days for me to see a difference and my pores were amazingly smaller, if you keep your pores clear of oil dirt dead skin cells your pores will reduce in size because the pores are clear. Be patient and it will work. Unless you have an unlimited amount of money to spend, patience is your best bet.