Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FaceValues

Medical Marijuana

I was wondering about all of your opinions of medical grade marijuana and it's effect on the body? Obviously burning anything and inhaling it isn't a good idea because of the noxious gases but what about the method of "vaporizing", heating it at a low enough temperature so that no smoke is produced? I've never seen it discussed here and kind of expect it to be thought of as unhealthy by this community but am curious of your thoughts on how it affects skin problems both negatively and beneficially. I found this chart somewhere and it reminded me I've been meaning to ask.

Edited by corgisoulpower

Marijuana has some fantastic healing properties- it's anti tumor (cancer) properties especially. However marijuana is being bred to produce more THC and less CBC's - CBC's are the components with the most potent healing properties. On a whole it does however dis-regulate hormones. For some people it can clear them up, for other it can break them out. Messing with hormones is always bad news in my books. In regards to vapourizing - yes vapour does not combust the plant matter (you avoid carbon monoxide and other nasty carcinogenic compounds) and can infact be considered a healthy drug deliver method. As much as I do respect alternative health measures - being 'high' all day would be somewhat counter productive to your life - depending on your career choice.

If I was going to compare it to alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs - it would be a clear winner in a ratio of relaxation to health consequences.

I wouldn't call marijuana healthy by any means, especially if the route of administration is smoking it. Smoking anything is comparable to overcooking food, which is a catch-22. There's some limited evidence that shows overcooking foods can create a variety of unhealthy compounds in our food due to the changing of protein structure within foods. Many things also undergo chemical changes when exposed to heat but this is all relative and doesn't apply to every single food across the board. Then there's the fact that many medical institutions are not that willing to do too much research into marijuana because it represents a gray area in regards to health benefits in the medical field, so there really aren't too many credible and long-term peer-reviewed studies done on it. If one was to eat it instead of smoke it, then the question of how it affects digestion arises. Hemp oil has an insane amount of Omega-6s but even then there's a difference between the part that is used to "treat" and the part that's used for hemp. It also contains phytoestrogen compounds which may be helpful in limited amounts and detrimental in large amounts.

It's certainly safer than cigarettes but that's not saying a lot.

The only real answer to your question is "humans probably weren't meant to eat or smoke marijuana and thus it's not something that should be part of our diet regularly whether it's from smoking or eating it."

Thanks guys, I plan to read more into the CBC's and phytoestrogen found in this plant. If inhaling its vapour (doesn't share the same carcinogenic properties as smoking, chunky, it sounds like that's what you were saying) were to affect my skin in any way it would be because the frequency of doing so would be kept to a minimal. Also neither of you are convincing me to begin any activities I don't already partake in, as you may have guessed. I am young and live in San Francisco, etc. I just haven't really been participating in the imbibing of any substances (too much sugar in wine, wheat/yeast in beer, harder types being difficult for the liver, sake...having a high gi) since making changes to my diet (besides the occasional bowl eusa_whistle.gif ) and was curious as to where this board stood in regards to that.

Sidenote: Whenever I'm addressing you in any way I feel like I'm insulting you, chunkylard.

when burned and inhaled, marijuana has been reported to boost melatonin levels by 4000%. melatonin is one of the bodys most powerful antioxidants one reason because of its ability to permeate every type of cell in the body. melatonin has beneficial roles for protecting and rejuvenating almost every part of your body.

to my knowledge it is unknown whether the effects are the same when vaporizing or ingesting it, the effects are likely similar.

vaporizing can reduce the amount of harmful substances that are created,when compared to a full burn.

i would stick to eating it, as well as just eating foods high in melatonin, like montmorency tart cherries or brown rice.

melatonin has many roles in skin health.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

when burned and inhaled, marijuana has been reported to boost melatonin levels by 4000%. melatonin is one of the bodys most powerful antioxidants one reason because of its ability to permeate every type of cell in the body. melatonin has beneficial roles for protecting and rejuvenating almost every part of your body.

to my knowledge it is unknown whether the effects are the same when vaporizing or ingesting it, the effects are likely similar.

vaporizing can reduce the amount of harmful substances that are created,when compared to a full burn.

i would stick to eating it, as well as just eating foods high in melatonin, like montmorency tart cherries or brown rice.

melatonin has many roles in skin health.

It's funny, I recently looked up foods abundant in melatonin because I'd been having trouble falling asleep at a decent hour and found a website that said corn, rice, and I think oats all had high levels of it. Which got me thinking how all those foods (primarily corn) are incorporated into the typical American diet...

^But for good sleep you want a surge of melatonin at night. And you want to try to inhibit melatonin throughout the day by being in bright light. I don't know how much foods with melatonin in the daytime might screw that up. Probably not. But I don't think you'd want to do anything to 'boost melatonin levels by 4000%' in the daytime.

My bigger issue with marijuana is where you get it. I can't condone anything that involves organized crime. Especially the kind of violence like what's been happening in Mexico.

^But for good sleep you want a surge of melatonin at night. And you want to try to inhibit melatonin throughout the day by being in bright light. I don't know how much foods with melatonin in the daytime might screw that up. Probably not. But I don't think you'd want to do anything to 'boost melatonin levels by 4000%' in the daytime.

My bigger issue with marijuana is where you get it. I can't condone anything that involves organized crime. Especially the kind of violence like what's been happening in Mexico.

It's decriminalized in California, although that hasn't stopped clinics from being shut down recently. It grows in such an abundance in the Northern part of California that clinics sourcing it from Mexico would be a hassle. Even when I lived in San Diego I wasn't concerned about funding Mexican drug cartels because I always knew exactly where it was coming from. Hard drugs are a different story but I have no interest in those.

Drug cartels are involved in the marijuana grown in California as well.

Okay, well in San Diego it was my friend's dad growing it and my source here is someone else I know. Having seen both their setups and knowing them both for ages (they are very health conscious people), I think it's safe to say I'm not supporting violence in any way.

The government supports the drug cartels. Look up project gun runner.

The great majority of marijuana is going to be coming from mom and pop operations, not drug cartels.

[EDIT]

To the kids out there - marijuana isn't the answer to any problems - just like alcohol isn't. I believe in the freedom to choose.

Edited by moonbase