Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jordan9595

Less Is More.

Hi everyone. I've suffered from acne for a little over three years now. Not much compared to some people on here, but long enough to cause some emotional damage. My acne is pretty much moderate, lots of white heads, all of the time. Proactiv worked for a little while, but became ineffective quickly and so after a few more over the counter treatments, I went to a dermatologist.

First I was prescribed tretinoin, then a benzoyl peroxide wash, and finally a clindamycin gel, and I am currently using all of these products in conjunction with one another. BP and clindamycin in the morning, and tretinoin at night.

And sure, I've noticed some improvement in my acne, but not much. And when I think about it, before I started using all of these treatments, my acne was pretty mild, and it was probably due to poor hygiene, like touching my face and picking. I fear that I may have over treated my skin, and I think I may have better results from weaning myself off of my current treatments, and then just washing my face twice a day with a gentle cleanser, and using a non-comedogenic moisturizer.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has had a similar experience to mine would post their story here, especially if you noticed improvement when adopting a minimal skin care routine.

I personally think I make my skin MUCH worse by picking/over medicating. The best my skin ever looked was when I stopped washing it and just put on Emu oil before bed. Doesn't that sound crazy?? Of course I eventually get back into the cycle of treating a breakout by squeezing, washing too much and slabbing on BP, sulfur..whatever I can get my hands on, which inevitably made my skin worse and worse. Even Cetaphil dries my skin out horribly. Right now I'm trying to get back into a less is more type regimen.