Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rainydayam

Appointment For Accutane Tomorrow!

Hi Everyone! I've been reading this forum for years (literally) in an attempt to get rid of my acne. I've been seeing different dermatologists for 8 years now and i've had acne for 10 (I'm now 20 almost 21). The last two dermatologists that I saw recommended accutane, not because my acne is severe, but because the hyperpigmentation from the acne is severe (really anytime my skin swells i'm left with horrible brown marks) and the acne is worse now in college then it was in high school (though it was decently bad in high school too!). Has anyone ever taken accutane for this? I've tried all of the topicals and I've been on doxycycline for the last year. The doxycycline has worked well and still is, but I don't know how long I can keep taking it (it makes me nauseous even with food, it's not stoping the hormonal acne, I've had a constant yeast infection...i'm female). Truly the only thing i've not tried is birth control, but due to my family history of fibroids and blood clots I'd like to stay off of it as long as possible. I'm really scared of this drug you guys, but it's really effecting what I feel comfortable doing. My chest, back, shoulders, and face are covered in hundreds of brown marks. I tried to ride it out with the doxy because my twin sister's been clear for almost 2 years now, but I've begun to wonder if this will ever stop. I'm not so much upset about the acne (as long as I have the doxy otherwise the cysts start to form), but the hyperpigmentation is pretty horrendous. I guess I just want reassurance from someone; is accutane right for me? A lot of my family doesn't support this decision and It's making me doubt my decision.

Hi rainydayam! No one can tell you if Accutane is right for you as it is a very personal decision that you have to seriously think about and weigh the pros and cons. I've done 2 courses with success and i am now going for my final course. Obviously in my case, accutane was not a cure. Needless to say, if you have tried everything else and you're willing to take the risks, then go for it. You'll definitely find support from these forums. In my case, if my accutane (Claravis) course is successful, i will be sure to use a topical as maintenance as acne runs deep in my family. If you do decide to go on accutane, i definitely recommend that once you clear up, take preventative measures to keep your pores from getting clogged again (ie: topicals, facials, etc).

Good Luck!

Thanks Sasch12! The horrible thing is that acne (at least this bad) doesn't really run in my family. Neither of my parents had acne that left hyperpigmentation like this and My twin only had mild acne that cleared up around 19 years old. I don't mind the acne so much as I mind the marks it leaves. Honestly, If it didn't leave marks I probably wouldn't even consider accutane.

I hate it when people trundle in, say something like "Accutane caused _______ for me" and leave it at that like it is sound evidence that other people shouldn't take it. Everybody reacts differently. Listen to your body, if you're not comfortable with a side effect, then stop. I'm on Accutane at the moment and everything is perfectly tolerable - no digestive problems, no joint pain, no depression, my hair's not falling out, I haven't grown a tail, no increased desire to eat small children or take over France. Sometimes you just have to do things for yourself to really know whether or not it's for you.

I hate it when people trundle in, say something like "Accutane caused _______ for me" and leave it at that like it is sound evidence that other people shouldn't take it. Everybody reacts differently. Listen to your body, if you're not comfortable with a side effect, then stop. I'm on Accutane at the moment and everything is perfectly tolerable - no digestive problems, no joint pain, no depression, my hair's not falling out, I haven't grown a tail, no increased desire to eat small children or take over France. Sometimes you just have to do things for yourself to really know whether or not it's for you.

I dont know Elle...I hate to tell you this but I think I see youre sprouting another head with pointy ears and an impish grin...oh wait thats just Pikachushifty.gif