Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was [officially] diagnosed by a psychiatrist about 6 months ago with major depression and anxiety, not due to my acne, but that does add to both. I was on anti-depressants (Wellbutrin and Trazodone) for a few weeks before my temporary prescriptions ran out and due to miscommunications between two doctors' offices, I couldn't get a refill, and after struggling with them for awhile, I gave up and kept on without medication. I didn't notice any positive or negative effects the drugs had on my acne, but I wasn't on it that long, so I can't know for sure. Recently I've been considering getting back on medication, because my mental health hasn't been the best lately (surprise surprise), and I was wondering about others' experiences with psychotropic drugs and acne. I know that stress can play a big role in acne, so it seems like if anything, going on anti-depressants (and probably taking anti-anxieties like I was supposed to last time) would help relieve my stress and acne.

I know that stress can play a big role in acne, so it seems like if anything, going on anti-depressants (and probably taking anti-anxieties like I was supposed to last time) would help relieve my stress and acne.

In my experience, this has been the truth.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder and major depression when I was 12, and I've been on Prozac ever since. This summer, I (stupidly) tried to go off of them "cold turkey". I was fine for the first month (probably because Prozac stays in your system for a long time) but the next couple months were the worst of my life. During the time I was off of the medication, my acne got the worst it's ever been. I went back on them just over a month ago, and I feel SO MUCH better and my skin looks better as well.

Also, you say you were only on the medication for a few weeks - sometimes medications can take 4-6 weeks to work, so you may not have even been feeling the full benefit while you were on them. Giving them another try would be a good idea. I was put on Trazodone when I was 13 to treat insomnia, but I only took it for about a month and only when I couldn't get to sleep so I'm not sure how much it did for me. I'm not sure about Wellbutrin - my brother was on it and didn't like it much, but obviously it's different for everyone.