Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I've been lurking for years but I've finally decided to post.

I'm 24, have had acne since age 13. When I was 16, it really got bad and was when I first went to see a derm. Thankfully, the medications I used brought it down to a tolerable degree but it has never been perfect.

I haven't been back to the derm since age 18 because, even though the meds worked to a degree, I also had to deal with redness and peeling. I realized, once I stopped using those things, the redness and peeling went away.

So, for the past few years, I've only used Clean and Clear Persa-Gel. That's it. I like it, but probably because I've used it for so long that it doesn't make me red or peel. I've gotten through that phase when I first started.

But like I said, my face is not perfect by any means. I just a cyst this week that has pissed me off beyond belief. I'm so upset and, on top of it, I'm starting a new job soon. Just great..

But anyway, back to the topic of this post...

I don't know how to wash my face. I know it sounds crazy, but I actually feel like water makes my skin tight or dry. Soap just irritates it so, for the most part, I try to avoid washing my face while in the shower and depend solely on the Clean and Clear Persa-Gel. I know this doesn't make sense, and that's why I'm coming to you for help.

What should I use? Obviously, not washing my face only makes matters worse. I try to use towels to wipe my face anytime it gets oily, but that really doesn't solve my problem, it's just a temporary relief. So I need your help in finding the proper cleansers so I can wash my face without worry. I don't want to wash my face in the morning and have it feel so tight that I can't even smile, but I also don't want to have my face feel oily and lead to further break-outs. So, please, offer your suggestions and let me hear your stories. Perhaps I can relate.

Thanks for your time. I know this isn't the introductions area, but I guess you now know a little bit about me. As I said, I've been lurking here for years, but now it's time to ask for help. Thanks, guys!

I know exactly what you mean; my face always feels so tight and dry after I wash! But then its greasy by the end of the day (but somehow still feels tight and dry?) Its aggravating... but, you know, sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it, lol... like last week, I did something really stupid. I set a fan in front of my treadmill and let it blow on my face on high for 45 minutes while I sweated my brains out... it dried me out so bad that I was peeling for the better part of the week!

So, maybe look at things you could be doing that are drying your face out, and try to eliminate them...

Make sure you're washing with cool water. Water too hot or too cold can make your skin dry out more.

Make sure you're not washing too long or hard. My cleanser's only on my face for less than 10 seconds when I wash, and I always wash my face in the shower so I can let the water run gently over my skin instead of having to scrub or rub it.

Try to wash about every 12 hours... 2 times a day, no more, no less...

Yeah you might be right, maybe you just have to get through it. If you don't mind me asking, what cleansers do you use?

I use Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser... I've been using it for years now, ever since before I had acne... It can be drying, but I'm careful and quick. It removes my makeup really well and makes my face feel clean afterward. I've been using this cleanser for so long with no problems... that I'm afraid to switch to anything else in fear of more breakouts! I'm currently in my 7th week of Differin and Duac, by the way.

Thanks a lot for the info.. I decided to start with Cetaphil. I've read good things, but I'm afraid because I've also read bad things. I've been using it for 2 days now and it's been a bit drying but nothing I can't deal with. I've noticed a few new blemishes and can feel more coming, but I can't tell if it has anything to do with the change or if it's just another day in the life lol But I'll keep it going for now.. If it doesn't get any better I'll see what else I can do. Changing is probably the scariest part in using new medications and cleansers. Thanks again!

Remember when you start a new product you have to let your skin adjust so you may get a few more breakouts before your skin adjusts.You might need to moisturize if your skin is dry its going to break out just the same if its to oily, you could try cetaphil moisturizer or olay the one with zinc oxide in it both seem to do good for me.

Acne is very common problem in teenage...Cleansers are good for skin..As clean skin is protected from acne..Soap is harsh to skin,so we use cleansers..Milk is the best cleanser...