Notifications
Clear all

I Can't Believe This Is Working

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 10/07/2011 7:49 pm

I've done two treatments of self-administered saline injections on my rolling scar and it was been 2 weeks and 2 days since my last injection. I'm so surprised at how well this is working. Here's a little background (I'll try to keep this brief)...

In mid-February I got a really bad pimple on my left cheek that turned into a cyst. I finally got a kenalog (steroid) injection in it on March 23rd. Two days later that area on my cheek began to atrophy from the steroid and within a week it was deeply sunken in and purple-ish. It was about an inch long and a half inch wide. It looked pretty terrible and I got depressed over it. Because it was on my cheek front and center it was all I could see when I looked in the mirror. Makeup helped with the discoloration but it did nothing for the sunken appearance. I became rather obsessed with it and began taking lots of pictures of it. When I look back at those pictures now I am still shocked at how bad it looked.

Between the end of April and the end of June the atrophy improved to a more tolerable level. However, during the months of July and August it did not get any better. At that point I assumed that the atrophy side effect of the steroid was gone and what I was left with was a rolling scar caused by the inflammation of the acne cyst itself.

I saw some dermatologists who told me I needed subcision, fraxel restore, fraxel repair, fillers, etc. I wasn't ready to spend all that money, so I did some research and decided to see if I could take care of this on my own. I bought a 1.5mm dermaroller and used it on August 3, August 16 and August 24. I liked how it made the scar swell up and it would look more level with the rest of my skin for a few days after I rolled it. I bought some single needles and have yet to use them because I read about saline injections and decided to give that a try first.

On September 14th I injected .2cc of bacteriostatic saline into the scar with a 30g needle. I inserted the needle about 10 times to make sure I got to all of the scar. The next day it looked great except for the little red dots from where I had pierced the skin. By the fourth day the scar had sunken back down. One week later the scar looked WORSE than it had before I had done the saline treatment! It looked more indented and a little bruised. I was afraid I had done some damage, but I decided to give it another try anyway.

On September 22nd (one week and one day after the first saline treatment), I did another series of injections. This time I injected .6cc of saline and I was more aggressive. Just like the first time, by the fourth day the scar had sunken back down, but it was more bruised than it had been after the first treatment. By the 7th day the coloring began to improve, but the scar was still deep and seemed even wider. Again I worried that I had done some damage so I decided not to mess with it until at least 2 weeks had passed.

On October 5th, almost 2 weeks after the last saline treatment, something strange happened. I woke up that morning, looked in the mirror and saw that my scar appeared more shallow. On October 6th it looked even better. Today it is October 7th and I can't believe how much better my scar looks! It has not looked this good since before the cyst appeared back in February! I'm really so surprised this has happened because a week after I did the last set of injections (last week) it looked worse than it did before I had done any treatments at all, and now it looks SO MUCH better than it ever has.

It has been 6 months since I had that steroid injection that atrophied my cheek... I wonder if what I had was really a rolling scar or if it was still atrophy from the steroid. Either way, saline injections have really worked for me... And after only 2 treatments!! I can't believe it. It has just gotten better and better the last 3 days and I hope that it'll be even better tomorrow. I have taken pictures of my face nearly every day for the past 6 months to track my progress (under the same lighting that shows the indentation the strongest) and today when I went to take the pictures of my face I could HARDLY SEE where the scar was!!!! I'm really amazed. I'm so pleased with the improvement I'm not sure if I'll do another saline treatment.

I wanted to share this with you all because I am so excited this thing is finally going away, but also because I want to let you know that saline injections really can work.. I think the trick is to not do them too often. You need to really give your skin time to recover and that collagen time to form and plump. It has worked wonders for me!!! As for the dermarolling, I'm not sure if that helped or not.

MemberMember
(@drummer777)

Posted : 10/07/2011 9:27 pm

Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to try saline injections now. How much did they cost you? And in my opinion I don't think it was dermarolling because all it did for me was make my face more red.

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 10/07/2011 10:18 pm

The saline injections were really cheap because I did them myself. None of the dermatologists I talked to had heard of saline injection treatment for scars and they weren't willing to do them. The only doctor I know of who does them is Dr. Sire in California and I'm on the east coast so going to see him wasn't really an option for me. I figured diabetics inject themselves with insulin every day, so why can't I inject saline? The bacteriostatic saline was $5 (from Megs Natural Health Market through Amazon.com) and the 30g needle syringes were $20 for a box of 100 (from [Removed]). I also bought some latex gloves to wear during the treatment and they were about $7 for a box of 50 at Walgreens. I already had some alcohol swabs so i didn't need to buy any of those. Piercing your skin with the needle does sting a bit so be prepared. It'll bleed a little, too. None of this bothered me, tho, because I wanted to get rid of the scar so badly. Good luck to you! I'm very pleased (and surprised) with my results.

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 10/10/2011 8:34 pm

Well, here's an update for anyone who cares. The news is not so good... The scar sunk back in some. It didn't sink back to the level it was before I started the saline injections, but it is disappointing nonetheless. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it didn't plump up in the first place because I had a pimple near it, LOL! Who knows. One thing is for sure: The coloring of my scar is much better than it was before I started saline treatment, so that makes it look less noticeable at least.

It has been 2 weeks and 4 days since my last treatment, so I injected saline again tonight, this time only .2cc. It looks great right now (besides being a little red), but I'll see what it does in the next few days. I expect it to look worse by Friday, but hopefully it'll plump up again even further by the end of next week. All this is weird and frustrating. I think after this I'll wait at least 3 weeks before I mess with it again. As much as I hate looking at this scar everyday I'm sure it needs a break from me messing with it.

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 10/27/2011 12:27 am

Another update in case anyone might be interested....

One week after my last saline treatment my scar looked worse (as I predicted). The same thing happened after the first two treatments, so I wasn't surprised. Thankfully at 2 weeks the scar started to plump up again just like it did after my second treatment. It has been 2 weeks and 2 days now and my scar looks really good. It has definitely filled in a lot. I'm at the point where I can hardly see it again when I try to take a picture of it in the "bad" lighting that used to make it the most obvious. I hope it stays like this. If it doesn't sink back down again I don't see the need for another injection. My scar has never looked this good. It feels nice to be making progress!

MemberMember
(@gbl)

Posted : 10/28/2011 6:25 am

any pics?

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 10/28/2011 11:11 pm

happy for you! Did the saline cause a little inflammation and itching about a week afterwards? I remember getting that, but i went pretty agressive with my scars and injected a lot. I think saline can stimulate collagen about as good as anything else, but it won't do much for the surface irregularity of scarring, just the deep down atrophy.

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 10/31/2011 10:41 pm

Well, it has now been 2 weeks and 6 days since my last saline treatment... and, unfortunately, my scar has sunken down again. It's disappointing considering it was looking good just 4 days ago. I don't understand why the collagen seems to build up at 2 weeks post injection, and then it just seems to die away or something. Has anyone else who has undergone saline injections experienced this?

Tricia, so far I haven't noticed the scar being inflamed a week later (in fact at one week post-injection is when the scar tends to "deflate" before it builds up again at the two week mark) but I do feel a tingling/itching in the scar every now and then for up to two weeks following the injection.

gbl, I do have some pics but I haven't been keeping up with them like I used to. Whenever my scar gets better I start "moving on with my life" and am able to forget about it for a little while. So, naturally, I don't think to take pictures of it very often during that time, tho I do have a few. It's times like now when it looks sunken again that I tend to take pictures... But this time I am feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing and I don't even want to look at it in the mirror, much less take a picture. I know I do need to take the time to upload the pics I have from my camera to my computer so you all can see. And I need to take some current pictures and then to go thru my previous pictures to see if I'm still making progress, but I'm too bummed to do it at the moment. I'm afraid that if I take pictures and start examining them and comparing them to my old ones I'll just get depressed.

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point... I'm not pleased with how my scar looks today. Since it seems to plump up and look good at two weeks post-injection and then start to sink back down again towards the 3rd week, maybe I should not let any time pass after 2 weeks - Maybe I should strictly inject every two weeks to keep the collagen building going....?? I have no idea. So far, that's my best bet I think. Maybe I'll inject again tomorrow.. or maybe I'll wait another week and see if it does anything on its own. I don't know.

MemberMember
(@sam245)

Posted : 11/04/2011 1:23 pm

Is it sinking down deeper than it was before? I know I read that Dr. Sire gives the shots every other week to ensure that they had time to heal and regenerate. If I were you, I would definitely give it a little break and see what it does. I know it's so hard not to do everything you can to get rid of it as fast as possible, especially when you have the equipment to (possibly) do so, but you could be doing more harm than good. You even said it yourself in the first post, "I think the trick is to not do them too often. You need to really give your skin time to recover and that collagen time to form and plump." I have a big indent on my cheek right now so I understand the embarrassment associated with it, but I feel like it's less noticeable than the ridiculously large cyst that needed the cortisone in the 1st place.

I think what you're seeing with the plumping and retracting is because the hole is plumped up by the saline at first and then once that inflammation subsides, your skin has to do the work, which is forming collagen around the saline beads. (Do you know about/use the microbead technique?) A cut always takes at least a week to heal and I believe this is the same kind of thing, except on your face so you should be extra cautious! good luck and try to take a break for at least a week...please! Try massaging it, I've been doing that to mine and it seems a little less gaping, but I could just be used to it.

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 11/04/2011 4:07 pm

Well, it has now been 2 weeks and 6 days since my last saline treatment... and, unfortunately, my scar has sunken down again. It's disappointing considering it was looking good just 4 days ago. I don't understand why the collagen seems to build up at 2 weeks post injection, and then it just seems to die away or something. Has anyone else who has undergone saline injections experienced this?

Tricia, so far I haven't noticed the scar being inflamed a week later (in fact at one week post-injection is when the scar tends to "deflate" before it builds up again at the two week mark) but I do feel a tingling/itching in the scar every now and then for up to two weeks following the injection.

gbl, I do have some pics but I haven't been keeping up with them like I used to. Whenever my scar gets better I start "moving on with my life" and am able to forget about it for a little while. So, naturally, I don't think to take pictures of it very often during that time, tho I do have a few. It's times like now when it looks sunken again that I tend to take pictures... But this time I am feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing and I don't even want to look at it in the mirror, much less take a picture. I know I do need to take the time to upload the pics I have from my camera to my computer so you all can see. And I need to take some current pictures and then to go thru my previous pictures to see if I'm still making progress, but I'm too bummed to do it at the moment. I'm afraid that if I take pictures and start examining them and comparing them to my old ones I'll just get depressed.

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point... I'm not pleased with how my scar looks today. Since it seems to plump up and look good at two weeks post-injection and then start to sink back down again towards the 3rd week, maybe I should not let any time pass after 2 weeks - Maybe I should strictly inject every two weeks to keep the collagen building going....?? I have no idea. So far, that's my best bet I think. Maybe I'll inject again tomorrow.. or maybe I'll wait another week and see if it does anything on its own. I don't know.

Congrats Sam.

Maybe its cowardly of me but, I am scared of injections all together. If I were to have them done, I would go get a professional even despite the cost. I am seeing a doctor later this month. They want to try laser PDT or something of this nature. Unfortunately for me, my skin doesn't react well to almost anything at least for long. I think the most intense thing I would look at is injections which are only temporary. Daphne mentioned permanent fillers. Nowhere is willing to do this near me so, I am out of luck and I imagine the cost is unbelievable as well.

Where I am at is I need to evalauate the risk vs the reward. The reality is that, a scar is a scar, and that, at best, it can be treated to look better. It will never be the same again. Taking a topical was a huge mistake and I should have stuck with organics and natural route only, I had gotten frustrated with the inconsistency of it all. Its poor genetics that has left me in this predicament. I do not understand how healthy I can be, to diet the way I do, to workout as I have, to see my abs, and still suffer like this. I watch people destroy pizza and cake like its going out of style. They tend to put on weight but, they do not burden themselves with acne, cystic acne or scarring as we do. It doesn't make sense to me not that I would wish this fate on anyone.

I have large pores. Not lots of scars. My derm suggest PDT to fix this, to tighten up the skin, and help scarring where I do have some. Personally, I would prefer to use a organic all natural way like facials and citrus fruits, facials and other remedies. Another concern I have is that, Brad Pitt, Nicolas Cage, Keanu Reeves, James Woods and tons of male celebrities have scarring and acne. Brad Pitt seems to be the only one of the guys who has fixed his scarring to the point, I would be happy, since, none of it is noticeable. I was in disbelief hearing he had acne or scars. I only noticed a box car scar in the movie spy game when he pretends to be dead. I noticed Nicolas Cage has lots and so does Keanue Reeves. I don't put them down. I admire their strength to not be a coward and to make something of their life despite the cards life handed them. Still, if they have much deeper pockets and resources to tap into, and yet, they never did anything for them, what does it say for us?

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 11/07/2011 12:13 am

It has now been over 3 weeks since my last injection. I just took some new pictures of my scar and compared them to pictures of it from before I did any saline injections. The photos are under the same lighting, same angle, etc... Well, it's pretty obvious that my scar has not filled in any. It is still as deep as it was before. However, there IS some improvement... My scar looks softer. It's not as contoured and angular looking. It looks smoother. Does that make sense?

I don't think I'll be doing any more saline injection treatments. I've done 3 so far and I know that it is supposed to take 3-8 treatments before it fills in completely, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. These injections make my scar look great for a few days, but it always looks worse after a week has passed (sunken and bruised - worse than before the injection). Then when two weeks has passed it plumps back up again and looks good, but then it sinks back down again. I'm not sure what is going on with it, but I'm afraid these injections could possibly make my scar worse if I continue.

I saw a different dermatologist last week and he told me that he thinks I still have some atrophy from the Kenalog shot I got back in March and that could be what is causing this scar. He thinks I need to leave it alone and see what it does in the next 6 months because Kenalog atrophy can take up to a year or so to go away. So that's what I'm going to do :o)

MemberMember
(@sugarmag)

Posted : 11/07/2011 10:56 pm

Congrats Sam.

Maybe its cowardly of me but, I am scared of injections all together. If I were to have them done, I would go get a professional even despite the cost. I am seeing a doctor later this month. They want to try laser PDT or something of this nature. Unfortunately for me, my skin doesn't react well to almost anything at least for long. I think the most intense thing I would look at is injections which are only temporary. Daphne mentioned permanent fillers. Nowhere is willing to do this near me so, I am out of luck and I imagine the cost is unbelievable as well.

Where I am at is I need to evalauate the risk vs the reward. The reality is that, a scar is a scar, and that, at best, it can be treated to look better. It will never be the same again. Taking a topical was a huge mistake and I should have stuck with organics and natural route only, I had gotten frustrated with the inconsistency of it all. Its poor genetics that has left me in this predicament. I do not understand how healthy I can be, to diet the way I do, to workout as I have, to see my abs, and still suffer like this. I watch people destroy pizza and cake like its going out of style. They tend to put on weight but, they do not burden themselves with acne, cystic acne or scarring as we do. It doesn't make sense to me not that I would wish this fate on anyone.

I have large pores. Not lots of scars. My derm suggest PDT to fix this, to tighten up the skin, and help scarring where I do have some. Personally, I would prefer to use a organic all natural way like facials and citrus fruits, facials and other remedies. Another concern I have is that, Brad Pitt, Nicolas Cage, Keanu Reeves, James Woods and tons of male celebrities have scarring and acne. Brad Pitt seems to be the only one of the guys who has fixed his scarring to the point, I would be happy, since, none of it is noticeable. I was in disbelief hearing he had acne or scars. I only noticed a box car scar in the movie spy game when he pretends to be dead. I noticed Nicolas Cage has lots and so does Keanue Reeves. I don't put them down. I admire their strength to not be a coward and to make something of their life despite the cards life handed them. Still, if they have much deeper pockets and resources to tap into, and yet, they never did anything for them, what does it say for us?

I know what you mean... It's frustrating when I do everything to be as healthy as I can and my skin makes me look like I don't take care of myself. I work out regularly, eat really well (low fat, low sugar, low sodium diet high in veggies... I never even drink soda at all or take in any caffeine), take vitamins, get plenty of sleep, etc. I'm 31 years old and I thought I'd be done with acne by now... I never thought would get worse in my thirties and that I'd start scarring from it. Maybe it's because I'm older and my skin isn't producing collagen like it used to. I don't know.. But It's disheartening to look in the mirror in the morning and see scars after all these years.

Another actor I notice has pretty bad facial scarring is Dane Cook. I watched that movie "My Best Friend's Girl" recently and I was surprised to see all the scars on his cheeks, especially the left side. I wonder why someone with all that money hasn't taken care of it... Or maybe he has tried and nothing has worked. Scary.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to try a permanent filler... I've read way too many bad stories about people getting them to fill in scars and wrinkles only to develop terrible skin problems (like granulomas) years, even decades, later. I've read about this happening with Silicon 1000 a lot, even with the microdroplet technique. Once that stuff is in your skin it is extremely hard to get it out. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. Even the thought of a temporary filler like restylane makes me nervous.

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 11/08/2011 8:24 pm

Congrats Sam.

I know what you mean... It's frustrating when I do everything to be as healthy as I can and my skin makes me look like I don't take care of myself. I work out regularly, eat really well (low fat, low sugar, low sodium diet high in veggies... I never even drink soda at all or take in any caffeine), take vitamins, get plenty of sleep, etc. I'm 31 years old and I thought I'd be done with acne by now... I never thought would get worse in my thirties and that I'd start scarring from it. Maybe it's because I'm older and my skin isn't producing collagen like it used to. I don't know.. But It's disheartening to look in the mirror in the morning and see scars after all these years.

Another actor I notice has pretty bad facial scarring is Dane Cook. I watched that movie "My Best Friend's Girl" recently and I was surprised to see all the scars on his cheeks, especially the left side. I wonder why someone with all that money hasn't taken care of it... Or maybe he has tried and nothing has worked. Scary.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to try a permanent filler... I've read way too many bad stories about people getting them to fill in scars and wrinkles only to develop terrible skin problems (like granulomas) years, even decades, later. I've read about this happening with Silicon 1000 a lot, even with the microdroplet technique. Once that stuff is in your skin it is extremely hard to get it out. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. Even the thought of a temporary filler like restylane makes me nervous.

It is so frustrating. Scars are so ugly to which makes me sad to experience this. I went to see a doctor over a year ago and she complimented my wanting to do something about my skin, said I was handsome, prescribed me a topical, and said how great it is to have no scarring? At that time, i thought I had scars. No, I had large pores. I have scars now. Its a combo of the use of BP and a topical plus, the cystic acne. I had a cyst by my ear for over a weak. It was massive, I would not squeeze, pretended it was no there, and it shrunk on its own. Fortunately, it was noticable to me cause I look for imperfections. I seek it out and when I find them, I get all neurotic about it. This has led me to scars cause, I went from organics, all natural to using products I swore to never use out of frustration. I am now worst of then I ever was before.

So, my dermatologist is working with me. I have a limited medical plan. It provides me nothing and with accutane, I would fuck my body up, especially my liver, and likely end up extremely depressed which I am already. So, what is the answer? Well, my dermatologist has set me up with a appointment with another doctor. Little did I know, it was a cosmetic doctor which is pretty embarrassing. I am a man and I had no use for cosmetics nor did I ever consider it. Well, its skin, and facial stuff, things I have avoided out of fear of irritating my skin. I can message you. I am not a faggot but, when I see a guy's skin like my dermatologist or a friend, random people in my life, pretty girls or co-workers, I am jealous. Man, I had so many dreams, inspirations, and desires. I feel a lot of these are laying dormant. I don't want this excuse to plague me and hold me back. Seal is worse off then us and he married a model, sold tons of records, big hits in the UK and America, and has a beatiful family. He too was depressed due to his appearance however, he got over it and rised above it. Brad Pitt is thought to be gorgeous however, it is noted that he suffers from acne, acne scars, and its well documented in pics or movies (fight club, spy game, etc). He is still considered good looking. Dane Cook has awful acne scars and he is a funny man. He has did movies, has a beautiful gf and well, he is successful.

I could post pics here but, I am self conscious enough. I look in the mirror, I see a six pack, a muscular, attractive young man but, up close, I see my imperfections and it upsets me. I have ate diets low glycemic, low fat, no sugar, and made tons of sacrafices food wise. I work out like its a religion. I do my cardio, I say my prayers, and I continue with this plague. It sucks. I use to think acne was the worst but, scars is by far the worst cause they are permanent. I see a cosmetic doctor this month and I am scared. I am scared that all my imperfections are going to be put on display and I am going to get even more self conscious. What I do know is that, Brad Pitt has did work on his skin, and he looks great (not gay). I don't have his budget but, I do know there must be possibilities. FOr the time being, I am using dermaflage. It works guys but, there is a learning curve and I feel like a loser having to wear this, and fake confidence.

Last year, I was partying, I was out with friends, traveling or going to parties. I was living it up, dating, having girls in my life, and even a sex life. I was comfident, charismatic, and even charming. Since all this has happened, I am half the man I was before, and I shy away from a lot of the things I once love. For example, I have a few friends that do parties and promotional events. This requires going out in public. Some events at clubs were fun but, lighting is harsh and i am self conscious as it is. I know some have it worst then me. Some days, I feel like a champ again and others, I am just sad all over again. Friends are out with dates, their girlfriend or boyfriends, a sex life, and I just feel like I am being left behind. I am considering fillers but, I wish their was something more productive and less risky. I wish it was body acne or a scar on my foot or arm. Not my face damn it. Its really affected my whole life. I know I shouldn't let it but, its easier said then done. I would rather be obese. Having a good body, knowing how to lose weight, and workout, I could make changes. Despite all the chances I have made and tried, there is little to no success or it is short lived.

I would give anything and do anything to have a normal life, have the beautiful skin I once had at 12/13. Man, it sucks, and it sucks seeing how awful people eat without any sort of skin problems what so ever not that I would wish this on anyone. God, I wouldn't wish it on someone I hated or disliked.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/11/2012 1:31 am

where do you purchase sterile saline?

MemberMember
(@dentonface)

Posted : 09/05/2023 3:31 am

@sugarmag I know its been a long time. Any updates?