Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vjc147

What Should My Daily Routine Be To Treat Acne?!

Hi guys. I'm a 17 year old college student with some acne problems. I recently began Dans regiment program this week but I don't know if it will help. ( first off, I know it takes time and there are no quick fixes but I REALLY WANT A ROUTINE THAT CAN HELP PREVENT ME FROM GETTING ANY MORE ACNE BREAKOUTS)

The way I do the regimen is I use Cetaphil cleanser then BP gel then Cetaphil moisturizer after I workout in the morning with my p90x program and at then I repeat the cleaning at night. The problem is, after all of this my face looks weird for school and was wondering if the regimen he gives really is worth it? My face is red from the BP gel and then shiny from the moisturizer, I think its because my skins not used to it all, how long does it take to get used to it by the way?

If anyone has a better regimen to follow or is a fellow follower of Dans program, then please share stories and advice. I heard cetaphil was good so thats why I bought it but if you know better products please tell( but I will still probably stick with cetaphil)

I know I asked a lot of questions but I'm new here and had a lot I wanted to ask. Please try to answer my questions I will really appreciate it. Thanks!

You're on the right track! =) I've been using Dan's regimen for 6 weeks now with amazing results. It's frustrating at times, especially in the beginning. But trust me, it's worth it! A little redness and dry skin is more tolerable than having constant breakouts right? You could always switch the moisturizer if you feel it's too greasy. A lot of people say Dan's moisturizer is great. I'm going to switch to it soon myself. Right now I use Neutrogena oil free combination skin moisturizer. It's not that great for the flakiness I get with the BP, but it's good for people with oily skin because it won't make you greasy. Try out some different products and find out which ones you like best.

Well I despise Cetaphil haha. To me it's very heavy and doesn't soak in well. I would recommend getting a moisturizer/sunscreen like La Roche Posay. It will actually help your skin and absorb better.

You're on the right track! =) I've been using Dan's regimen for 6 weeks now with amazing results. It's frustrating at times, especially in the beginning. But trust me, it's worth it! A little redness and dry skin is more tolerable than having constant breakouts right? You could always switch the moisturizer if you feel it's too greasy. A lot of people say Dan's moisturizer is great. I'm going to switch to it soon myself. Right now I use Neutrogena oil free combination skin moisturizer. It's not that great for the flakiness I get with the BP, but it's good for people with oily skin because it won't make you greasy. Try out some different products and find out which ones you like best.

I will try! But is hard!! I have a lot of new pimples that have turned white and I see a few more red bumps since I started. But can you please tell me exactly what you, a fellow follower of the regimen, do and use for your regimen and how your experiences with it were. I heard ur skin could purge with the regimen and I hate it. I feel so bad about my skin and I hate it. I try hard and make sure I eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water and do exercise but nothing works. Will this really help me with the products I use?

how long have you been on the regimen?

i use clean and clear foaming facial cleanser, because i too hate cetaphil. i feel like i'm not cleaning myself when i use that. and i also think i'm allergic to it even though it says it's for sensitive skin, my skin got burned from it! so anyway. after that i use a toner because i have oily skin and need a little extra cleansing after washing. you don't need to do this though it just is something i need to do. so after cleansing apply the BP. i use dan's because his is the best! then i use neutrogena combination skin oil free moisturizer. i do this twice a day. other than that, i keep a healthy diet, i don't drink milk. i use soy milk in my cereal. i only drink water. i never eat sugar. i avoid white bread. and i exercise. if you have any other questions feel free to ask =) i also do the back regimen. i use dial bar soap with .60% triclosan in it and then apply dan's AHA. twice a day

how long have you been on the regimen?

i use clean and clear foaming facial cleanser, because i too hate cetaphil. i feel like i'm not cleaning myself when i use that. and i also think i'm allergic to it even though it says it's for sensitive skin, my skin got burned from it! so anyway. after that i use a toner because i have oily skin and need a little extra cleansing after washing. you don't need to do this though it just is something i need to do. so after cleansing apply the BP. i use dan's because his is the best! then i use neutrogena combination skin oil free moisturizer. i do this twice a day. other than that, i keep a healthy diet, i don't drink milk. i use soy milk in my cereal. i only drink water. i never eat sugar. i avoid white bread. and i exercise. if you have any other questions feel free to ask =) i also do the back regimen. i use dial bar soap with .60% triclosan in it and then apply dan's AHA. twice a day

I have oily skin too and I really never had an acne problem until recently so I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I have been on the regimen for.....5 DAYS xD but my face looks worse than ever right now since I started it. Its also the first time I started using the cetaphil stuff and I havent used BP in this way for months so my face is all red and a bunch of new white heads and red bumps have come up everywhere ='[ I dont know if the cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer are to blame or is it the fact that my skin isnt used to this and is going crazy!

I feel at an all time low and (this is a sad thing) I'm avoiding this girl I like and usually talk to because of this( I actually do talk to her and like her but I feel so bad about this that I dont want her to see me.) I dont know what I should do to prevent the acne. Its everywhere that I shave really near the hair , chin, lip, and side of the face but almost nothing on my forehead. Should I use a cleanser with 2% SA in it instead of cetaphil? Thanks for all your help guys

i know what you mean about wanting to avoid the girl you like. it's really hard to go out and face the world when you're having a bad skin day. i think everybody can agree there. There are days I don't want to go to work because I don't want people to look. Don't avoid her! I'm sure she's not going to judge her. If she were that type of girl, you probably wouldn't like her then! =)

Ok so first of all, do you have any type of burning or itching with the Cetaphil? If so you may be allergic to it like I was. If you feel nothing, you are ok. The first few weeks on the regimen aren't going to be nice. (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/278569-a-helpful-little-regimen-handbook-two-parts-read-first-two-posts/page__fromsearch__1) that's a really good blog from someone that's been on the regimen for almost 5 yrs. I found it very helpful.

In my experience, the first 3 weeks were frustrating. The breaking out every week, the red skin, the dryness. By the 4th week it started getting better with less and less breakouts. I think the 5th & 6th week were my best. This week I had a minor break out but I'm a girl and my time of the month is coming. And the weather here is also going crazy so I blame that too. Just don't give up! Give it time, try different products if you're unhappy with them. It took me a lot of products to find the ones I liked. Luckily Walmart is good about returns because I returned so many moisturizers and cleansers! =P

Oh and don't use a cleanser with SA! dan recommends using a Non-medicated cleanser. Try clean and clear foaming facial cleanser. it's under 4 bucks and it's antibacterial so i feel like it's doing twice the job.

Also... my boyfriend has issues with the shaved areas only when his razors aren't fresh. Try to keep a clean razor. Wash it in alcohol if you have to. And use a good one too!

i know what you mean about wanting to avoid the girl you like. it's really hard to go out and face the world when you're having a bad skin day. i think everybody can agree there. There are days I don't want to go to work because I don't want people to look. Don't avoid her! I'm sure she's not going to judge her. If she were that type of girl, you probably wouldn't like her then! =)

Ok so first of all, do you have any type of burning or itching with the Cetaphil? If so you may be allergic to it like I was. If you feel nothing, you are ok. The first few weeks on the regimen aren't going to be nice. (http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1) that's a really good blog from someone that's been on the regimen for almost 5 yrs. I found it very helpful.

In my experience, the first 3 weeks were frustrating. The breaking out every week, the red skin, the dryness. By the 4th week it started getting better with less and less breakouts. I think the 5th & 6th week were my best. This week I had a minor break out but I'm a girl and my time of the month is coming. And the weather here is also going crazy so I blame that too. Just don't give up! Give it time, try different products if you're unhappy with them. It took me a lot of products to find the ones I liked. Luckily Walmart is good about returns because I returned so many moisturizers and cleansers! =P

Oh and don't use a cleanser with SA! dan recommends using a Non-medicated cleanser. Try clean and clear foaming facial cleanser. it's under 4 bucks and it's antibacterial so i feel like it's doing twice the job.

Also... my boyfriend has issues with the shaved areas only when his razors aren't fresh. Try to keep a clean razor. Wash it in alcohol if you have to. And use a good one too!

return the products you by...i should do that xD thanks. Also I made an appointment's with my dermatologist for this week about a moth ago( she is really busy) and I dont know if she will give me some other kinds of products to use or tell me to stay on this. I mean I can live with the extra acne for another week or two but she tell me to stop. Would you recommend me listening to her or the blog.

And just to make sure, I will not really start to see better results and lose the red color and extra acne until week 4?

it's up to you if you want to go to a dermatologist... but i'm positive she will tell you to stop using the regimen and give you something else. not to mention she's going to charge you a fortune for a tiny tube of something that's either not going to work or is just going to dry you out more than the regimen. i've been to 3 dermatologists in the past and it was a complete waste of money. they put you on antibiotics and they work for a little while and then your body gets used to them and they take you off them. or they tell you "we can't have you on antibiotics forever so we're taking you off them" so you stop taking them and the problem comes back. that's why dan's regimen is so good because it's nothing that is going to stop working. if you're curious to what she will say you could always go and then never go back if you're unhappy. but yea give the regimen a few months and see what happens. the longer you're on it, the less redness and more results will come =)

the problem is that I keep doing everything he says but more and more whiteheads keep coming and the red marks I have from bumps are turning purplish!! I know you say stick with it but this punishment is worse than what I started with and I can help but feel lost. Is the regimen cause this new problem or is it the products im using or is it hormones? my diet has remained the same so that cant really be a big cause, I eat healthy I get my vegs and fruits in and no white bread or sugar drinks, only water drinks. I have my appointment with my dermatologist friday but it feels so long away and I dont know if I should just try cleansers and moisturizers and forget about BP.Thank you again for taking the time to help me I mean it. =D

don't give up the BP that is the most important step in the whole routine! but i think what is happening is it's just bringing everything to the surface. i would give it more time, but if you really feel you need a derm that's up to you! you're very welcome! good luck =)