Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaimeramone1028

Tretinoin 0.25% Log...my (Hopefully) Last Regimen

So I have light acne (some scars, a few pimples, some blackheads)

I went to the dermatologist, actually, for my legs. However, she told me I had beautiful skin but a retinoid will help with the blackheads, and she prescribed Tretinoin. I have tried A LOT--St. Ives, Canus, Basis, Yes to Carrots, Clean and Clear...ugh. Hopefully this will work. *crossing my fingers!* haha

This is my new regimen:

At night-

wash with Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

moisturize with Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

wait at least 30 minutes

apply 0.25 Tetinoin to entire face

I heard there's an initial breakout...not looking forward to that...but I guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by jaimeramone1028

Sounds like you have it figured out. Your regimen sounds good, and if you didnt' have severe acne, you might not have an IB at all. When I started using my topicals, it was just dry, dry, dry....no IB for me. And if it's just blackheads, you can always spot treat

I think i would marry someone if they told me that I have beautiful skin.shifty.gif

Good luck with the treatment!

I think i would marry someone if they told me that I have beautiful skin.shifty.gif

Good luck with the treatment!

Thank you so much! Haha, I was happy too...especially because I didn't exactly agree because I'm a little OCD about my skin tongue.png

And to SavedByGrace1, thanks for the advice about the IB!

Also...part one of my log:

Day 1

So far, so good--no peeling, excessive drying, or IB. It's actually pretty smooth smile.png

Edited by jaimeramone1028

good luck with your new regimen, we here to support you all the way please update. its nice to know how others are doing. :)

I can relate on been a bit ocd about ur skin lol its not a healthy thing lol but this why I am on acne.org to try and write down my feelings. if not I dnt know if I would of been able to make through this ib without giving up..glad everthing is good :)

UPDATE- OK, so I know I said this was my last regimen, but I did change one thing...my moisturizer. Now I use Cetaphil Restoraderm Moisturizer (I use it for my legs so thought it would be easier to use the same moisturizer for body and face.) I really like it! When it comes to Tretinoin, it's good. My friends even noticed my skin :) However, I do have one new red pimple that is really bothering me...hope it goes away soon...

UPDATE- I actually went back to the regular Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer instead of the Restoraderm...

I have noticed a few more red spots, but they go away a bit faster than before I was on Tretinoin. Also, there is a little bit of drying along the upper lip area :/ Otherwise, though, everything it good.

UPDATE- That one bad red spot is now just a scar :) It went away a lot faster than others had for me before the Tetinoin...

There were a few minor red spots: one near my upper lip, one on my cheek, and two on my nose, but they're going away.

UPDATE- There is this one pimple between my eyes that's always horrible and comes back every time I get rid of it. The last time I had it, I had it for a month, and it was terrible, red, and huge :( I was so sad when it came back while I was on Tretinoin, but it's already on its way out!! I'm so glad it's going away fast.

UPDATE- The pimple from the last post is a scar now, but my skin isn't doing so well :/ I have one on my chin developing, a little one on my nose, two minor ones on my forehead, but also one HUGE one on my nose. It's bright red, sticks out, and really hurts. I'm really sad.

ONE MONTH UPDATE

I can't believe it's already been a month! haha

I guess I'll summarize my Tretinoin journey...

At first, this regimen made my face absolutely wonderful! It was hydrated, smooth, and clear. However, after a few weeks, I was getting bad breakouts

:( I was so disappointed because this seems to happen with all my regimens--great a first, then down hill.

Now, my face is a bit better. It's not quite as amazing as the very beginning, but it's OK. There's a little bit of flaking, but I'm guessing that's because of the cold air.

*BIG, BIG POINT! DON'T POP!! NEVER, NEVER POP!! It will go away so much faster and scar so much less if you don't pop.*

I know people already know that, but I can't stress it enough. Really, the only horrible ones I have had while on Tretinoin were the ones I tried to take care of myself. I don't know what it is...my OCD? hmmmmm

If you're considering this regimen, though, I'd tell you to go for it. It will be benefit you in the long run

:)

UPDATE- Sorry it's been so long since my last update! I've been very busy. Ugh...my skin has had its ups and downs...

I switched to Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream because of A LOT of flaking due to the cold weather. I've been breaking out a bit more than usual, actually. I makes me really sad :( It's like I might as well not be on a medication...

I need some help. Right now, I'm on 0.25% Retin-A, and all of the skin products I use, even for my body, are Cetaphil. (I highly recommend it! This stuff is wonderful :) ) Anyway, Cetaphil is a company I trust, and it's made by Galderma. Galderma makes a reitnoid called Differin, and I was wondering if I should use that based on how great Cetaphil was. Has anyone had positive experiences with Differin? Also, if I have light acne, would I use 0.1% Differin Cream or 0.3% Differin Gel?

I just don't know what to do...

Should I switch to Differin or wait it out?

Thanks for the support!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I never tried differin but I have used retin a micro when I was 16 and I had great results. I am having ok results now which is my 2 time its taking a while because this time around I have more clogged pores than before. If you have acne thats active and few clogged pores I think it will work great for you. I recommend using 1% instead of the 0.04.

Are you taking an antibiotic?

I'm using the same retin a as you, it's been really hard but things are looking like they're improving since I introduced a bp wash and tetralycal antibiotic. I'm at week 11 so a fair bit ahead of you, I'm going to give it till Xmas and if I'm still getting bad breakouts I'm switching to epiduo. Which is differin mixed with bp.

If I were you I'd get hold of some antibiotics and wait to switch, as retinoids do take a very long time to start working :)

I never tried differin but I have used retin a micro when I was 16 and I had great results. I am having ok results now which is my 2 time its taking a while because this time around I have more clogged pores than before. If you have acne thats active and few clogged pores I think it will work great for you. I recommend using 1% instead of the 0.04.

I looked up Retin A Micro, and it looks great. The websites say it's pretty much Retin-A but time released and with less irritation...I think? Thank you for the advice :)

Are you taking an antibiotic?

I'm using the same retin a as you, it's been really hard but things are looking like they're improving since I introduced a bp wash and tetralycal antibiotic. I'm at week 11 so a fair bit ahead of you, I'm going to give it till Xmas and if I'm still getting bad breakouts I'm switching to epiduo. Which is differin mixed with bp.

If I were you I'd get hold of some antibiotics and wait to switch, as retinoids do take a very long time to start working smile.png

I am not taking an antibiotic, but thanks for the suggestions! :) I heard epiduo is very good. I might look into it.

UPDATE: WEEK 7- Haha, sorry about the last post...I was just very out of sorts about my skin that day because it was particularly bad, but I've come to terms with it. I was just being dramatic, I guess eusa_doh.gifSorry I was so annoying!

With my updates, I'm going to start recording the week number too.

Also, today was the first day I washed my face in the morning as well as the night. I was always worried that'd be too drying, but someone told me I should be doing that while on Tretinoin.

Right now, I have a recent red mark on my chin, an old/mild red mark on my nose, another old/mild red mark on my forehead, a healing zit on my forehead, and a big one on my cheek. I'll update.

Thanks for reading :)

UPDATE WEEK 7- The one on my cheek is going down! :) I just didn't touch it, and it's already almost gone. I have a few clogged pores. I'll see how this washing twice a day thing works out. So far, so good. Just a red clogged pore or two.

UPDATE WEEK 8- My skin is in such good shape! That one on my cheek is just a scar now. I'm so glad :) I'm also glad I started washing twice a day--it's been great for my face. I have learned that one of the main things you need on this regimen is consistency. I break out when I skip days or apply the medicine in the morning instead of night. Last night, I felt sick and skipped the 2nd washing and Retin-A application. Thankfully, I didn't break out this time...I think the morning washing this morning saved me. Thanks for reading!