Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gutterflower

You're Fine The Way You Are. Want Proof?

This has to belong here, because people seem to think that because they have imperfect skin, nobody could possibly consider them attractive. The truth is, you don't have to live up to any kind of ideal, because aesthetic perfection doesn't exist in people. It's all magic, smoke and mirrors, photo editing, great lighting and stylists. Just because you don't roll out of bed in the morning with flawless skin and immaculate hair doesn't mean there's something wrong with you.

The idea of this thread is not to bash the celebrities I'm about to put pictures up of. They're all still beautiful, but they're not perfect, even when everybody wants to you to believe they are. And you know what? Even though they're not perfect, they're still successful people, the same way you or I could be if we didn't let anything get in the way. Yeah. Even acne.

celebs_before_and_after_makeup_11.jpg

jennifer_lopez.jpg

lady_gaga5.jpg

Celebrities+Without+Wearing+Makeup+kim+kardashian.jpg

(Even though I'm not sure what she's successful for...)

c5.jpg?w=400&h=240

c6.jpg?w=350&h=300

gal_makeup_garner.jpg

I think you guys get the idea.

Like I said, the idea of this isn't to bash the people I've put up here. I think they are all pretty. The point is, without makeup and stylists and retouching, they're only human. So just be proud of who you are, regardless of what your skin looks like. Cameron Diaz is hugely successful, and she has the same kind of skin as probably 80% of people who frequent here.

smile.png

I think it all comes down to how you deal with it or if you choose to let it hold you back. Well, I know that's what it comes down to because I chose to let it hold me back for so long. Truth is, I was just scared of trying things in case I didn't succeed or if things went wrong. But once the acne's gone, there are no excuses left and I just have to go for whatever I want. After all, if you're not prepared for the possibility of failure, you're never ever going to succeed.

The funny thing is, there are people here who tell me I'm fine the way I am but I never quite see it. Equally, I say the same to people here because it's genuinely what I think, yet they don't quite see it in themselves either. Reckon many of us could do with giving ourselves a break.

I'll share a little story about Avril, given that her picture's been posted. I saw her in concert once, was right at the front and could see her up close. Her skin was far from perfect and I could see that she was actually really broken out. Plus the heat from the stage lights and all that wasn't doing her any favours. I don't suppose she really cared though, nor did I, and nor did the 9000+ people in attendance. Enough said.

:)

thanks for that. but half of those pictures are either, just got art of bed or with no make up on? why carnt those red spots 'go away' magicly .. why are all those pics girls??

thanks for that. but half of those pictures are either, just got art of bed or with no make up on? why carnt those red spots 'go away' magicly .. why are all those pics girls??

I think you have missed my point. :lol:

They're only girls because makeup on women makes a much more substantial difference to their appearance. Of course, I'd be happy to bet that almost ALL men in Hollywood wear makeup but it's less obvious (because, well, they don't want it to be obvious that they're wearing powder, foundation or what have you). Don't think that I'm not gearing this towards guys, too. There are men who have issues with their skin, the biggest example is Brad Pitt. He has scarring from severe acne. And yet, he has clearly done well for himself.

Acne is like any other challenge in life, you know? You can't just magic it away. You have to fight it against all odds.

I thought about putting this at the end of my original post to put things into perspective for people.

If you think things are so terrible and acne is your biggest trial and you absolutely refuse to see past it (I have been there too, don't think I'm criticizing you because I know what it's like and I also know how ridiculous it is) then this might help you.

starving_child-sudan2.jpg

This is a child living in Sudan. If it offends anybody, I'm really not sorry, because this? This is a real issue.

I'm all for people's rights to complain but everybody seems to act like acne is literally the worst thing that could happen to them and it's stopping them from being successful or having a normal life. :doh:

Wow, that child in sudan makes me sad. My biggest problem is interacting with others. Even when I'm having a better day and I only have a spot or two or just some red marks. So, you're an artist? That's really cool. I'm a graphic designer, I used to paint and draw back in my high school and college days, that was a while ago, I've turned 29 a few times...

I can't fault the logic, not at all. We all know this, it's just that we get wrapped up in our own little world. I'm sure you have before as well, Elle. Of course, not that you're saying you haven't, or that you've always had a clear perspective on your skin; indeed, I think it's great if this is all falling into place for you at this moment in time. smile.png

Personally, I think I spent so much time pressed up against the mirror that I literally could not see the bigger picture. Time for change, without a doubt.

Edited by PaulH85

Wow, that child in sudan makes me sad. My biggest problem is interacting with others. Even when I'm having a better day and I only have a spot or two or just some red marks. So, you're an artist? That's really cool. I'm a graphic designer, I used to paint and draw back in my high school and college days, that was a while ago, I've turned 29 a few times...

It makes me sad, too. :( It also makes me feel like a jerk. I have days where I don't want to look people in the eye, too, but I think the thing to remember is that most people are too wrapped up in themselves to really notice our skin issues. :D

I am indeed an artist! I'd love to be a graphics designer. I'm looking at taking a course so I can learn to market myself. :) Hey, drop me a PM if you ever want to talk about it!

I can't fault the logic, not at all. We all know this, it's just that we get wrapped up in our own little world. I'm sure you have before as well, Elle. Of course, not that you're saying you haven't, or that you've always had a clear perspective on your skin; indeed, I think it's great if this is all falling into place for you at this moment in time. smile.png

Personally, I think I spent so much time pressed up against the mirror that I literally could not see the bigger picture. Time for change, without a doubt.

Of course, I understand it completely, I've let acne stop me from doing a lot of things and I've used it as a crutch more times than I'm comfortable with admitting. I've cancelled interviews, backed out on dates (and consequently missed my chance with a few guys who were really lovely) and I've beaten myself up over it so much that not only is it silly, it's unfair on me.

I'm by no means perfect or even clear now, it's just that I've realized that I've based so much of my happiness on my skin and I'm almost 23 years old. That's ridiculous. And I've been kind of touched by the sheer amount of poverty that third-world countries have to suffer through. It makes me feel like I'm selfish for letting acne block me out of doing what I want when there's really nothing physically stopping me, it's all in my head.

I feel like so many of us really do lose sight of the bigger picture. I recently took my best friend out to lunch for her birthday (I love her dearly). When she got in the car she was on the verge of tears, she really looked distraught, and I asked her what the matter was. She starts with "This is going to sound really stupid..." and I brace myself for something isn't going to be stupid at all, because she genuinely looked so upset, and she comes out with "My mum bought me Estee Lauder skin care products for my birthday instead of the mobile phone that I wanted." Then she prattled on the entire way to lunch about how her mum thought she was being clever but she just shouldn't even try and how her birthday was ruined. She just turned 22. It was honestly a slap in the face for me. I wonder if I looked as flabbergasted as I actually was. O_O

I'm real curious to know what i would look like if I scrubbed up like these celebs, bet i'd look hot ;)

Good point. Just about anyone could look like a perfect 10 if they had celebrity makeup artists at their disposal.

This kind of reminds me of those acne commercials where they have a celebrity telling some sob story about their acne, then it shows a picture of them and you're trying to find the acne on their face like it was a game of Where's Waldo?

Katy Perry annoys me the most. "I have acne scars now that I'm self conscious about". No. No, you don't. She had mild acne. It's hyperpigmentation. :lol:

I hate the one with bieber where he is outside with his friends playing basketball.

"oh hi camera, didn't see you there, so great to be outside with clear skin proactive, proactive clear skin mm its so lovely to be clear and confident.proactive."

fuck that kid.

Katy Perry annoys me the most. "I have acne scars now that I'm self conscious about". No. No, you don't. She had mild acne. It's hyperpigmentation. lol.gif

Tbh loads of people here think they're scars too...

I don't think any amount of compliments or anything will make me feel beautiful.

Katy Perry annoys me the most. "I have acne scars now that I'm self conscious about". No. No, you don't. She had mild acne. It's hyperpigmentation. lol.gif

Tbh loads of people here think they're scars too...

I don't think any amount of compliments or anything will make me feel beautiful.

I understand that. Sometimes it's something you have to work out from inside of yourself.

I hate the one with bieber where he is outside with his friends playing basketball.

"oh hi camera, didn't see you there, so great to be outside with clear skin proactive, proactive clear skin mm its so lovely to be clear and confident.proactive."

fuck that kid.

I bet Proactiv is really effective. You know, in conjunction with something that actually works. Like Accutane. Which is what Jessica Simpson took to clear her skin, yet she endorses Proactiv too. But I feel that they prey on self-conscious teenagers with their flashy advertising.

Good point. Just about anyone could look like a perfect 10 if they had celebrity makeup artists at their disposal.

This kind of reminds me of those acne commercials where they have a celebrity telling some sob story about their acne, then it shows a picture of them and you're trying to find the acne on their face like it was a game of Where's Waldo?

lol Waldo. That was epic kid :-)

My cynical mind is saying: "All I'm getting from these pictures is that people look better when their skin looks better."

Of course, I'm seeing what I want to see. The majority don't do anything for me, but obviously look better with better skin.

The frosty side of me says that one reason I think the "after" looks better is because we are so used to seeing the afters, that it makes the before so much more jarring. If these were everyday people walking around at your local mall nothing is bad enough to jump out at you.

Edited by understanding

My cynical mind is saying: "All I'm getting from these pictures is that people look better when their skin looks better."

Of course, I'm seeing what I want to see. The majority don't do anything for me, but obviously look better with better skin.

The frosty side of me says that one reason I think the "after" looks better is because we are so used to seeing the afters, that it makes the before so much more jarring. If these were everyday people walking around at your local mall nothing is bad enough to jump out at you.

This isn't a fault in you, but society in general, I think. We're all trained to think that the unnatural option is the nicest looking. :shrug: It doesn't make sense, but that's how it is. My point is, they are still successful people, their acne or other body issues didn't stop them from being internationally recognized.

Just thought id addanother celebrity to the list

Kendall jenner is gorgeous, but not even the best makeup covers acne (as in actual bumps not dented scars you can fill in)

She's adorable. :D

I love the celeb secret -- It's called being fake. I admit to using this technique on occasion :-P It requires several different foundations and a mad shade of blush. And an anti-frizz volumizing spray. However, I'm proud to say I haven't needed to use this in a while. I've gotten a little more comfortable with myself.

PS I love how Jennifer Garner still looks like an angel in her "real life" photo.

I love the celeb secret -- It's called being fake. I admit to using this technique on occasion :-P It requires several different foundations and a mad shade of blush. And an anti-frizz volumizing spray. However, I'm proud to say I haven't needed to use this in a while. I've gotten a little more comfortable with myself.

PS I love how Jennifer Garner still looks like an angel in her "real life" photo.

:D I admire celebrities when they're not too scared to step out bare-faced when they know that they're constantly being hounded and photographed. Everybody has the right to just be real, you know?

I never thought Jennifer Garner was incredibly amazing-looking but I do think she is pretty. :) I think she's kind of "girl next door" looking.